Total Eclipse 2017!

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Last time I mentioned this it was over 5 years away, but now it's less than 3 years away, so thought I'd post a new alert: August 21, 2017. In central Oregon totality occurs at about 10:20 a.m. PDT. If weather is typical for late August, there should be fair skies in Oregon -- sure hope so!

In looking up the link for equinox info I noticed that the USNO has a page for the 2017 total solar eclipse, including an interactive widget for calculating timing for any location.

Here's another web site, with a map showing the path of the eclipse: Total Solar Eclipse 2017

Still too early to start a trip planning thread...but I have it on my Outlook calendar already. :)

I have it on my Apple calendar, and a reminder the week before to get ready. Mark, pick a place that will work for our FWCs and I will see you there.

Bill

Bill, back two years ago I originally suggested Spanish Peak, a bald-top peak in the Ochoco National Forest, south of US 26, between Mitchell and John Day. It's the former site of a fire lookout with a road to the top, lots of open ground for camping rigs, and big views all around. "X" marks the spot of Spanish Peak in the map below -- the circled area was just a suggestion for a general area to view eclipse, what I was considering 2 years ago.

Eclipse-2017_Oregon-2.gif.jpg

However...Spanish Peak is not right in the center of the path, so maybe there's a similar but better-centered spot, probably north of US 26. Lots of public land with open camping along the path in Oregon.

People in the town of Madras, 45 miles north of Bend, just have to step outside.

People driving on I-84 in Oregon between Baker City and Ontario just need to pull over to the shoulder for a few minutes.
Eclipse-2017_Oregon-Idaho-1.gif

August 21, 2017 is a Monday, so those of you who won't be retired by then might want to put in now for the day off. :D

Back
Top Bottom