Touch Screens in Cars Solve a Problem We Didn’t Have

I agree. I like navigation and cameras, but don’t want my climate control and basic audio functions on a screen.

My brother has a Tesla 3. In cruise control, it runs the windshield wiper in automatic mode only. But too slowly and he complains he can't see out the window! Bring back the buttons.

I don't know if I could handle "learning" a new vehicle. Julie has the cell phone, not me, and we live in a town so small it does not have a traffic light. Someone told me you don't even start with a key anymore, you push a button. I'm going to keep our good old truck running................

I needed to replace the radio/stereo in the '02 Silverado. I really took a deep dive into new touchscreens with rear/forward cameras, Apple CarPlay, all the bells and whistles. I ended up with a good old single DIN Alpine radio without CD. It has radio, aux, bluetooth, and Pandora capability...that's it. Most importantly, it has pre-set radio station buttons and a volume knob. I can answer my phone on it so that's a bonus. Super happy with the "old tech".

On another note: our 2010 Suburban has a touchscreen with HVAC controls nearby. The heater and a/c are slow to react to desired temp changes...maddening. Give me good old knobs and dials for that, too!

Toyota seems to be pretty conservative with changing the Toyota. Our 2018 has plenty of bells and whistles, but the important features still use knobs and buttons.

In my opinion there is danger in those touch screens. With a knob for fan, temp and direction of flow I never have to take my eyes off the road and try to focus on the screen and touch the right spot while bouncing down the road. The glow from the screen doesn't help my night vision either.
Great post, Bigfoot Dave

I definitely prefer the buttons and dials in my 05 vs my 17. The 17 has dials, but they're obviously just sending 1s and 0s to the body control module.

The touchscreens/computer controlled buttons are actually cheaper to produce, but seem more "premium" to the customer.

Profit margin baby!

Bigfoot Dave said:
In my opinion there is danger in those touch screens. With a knob for fan, temp and direction of flow I never have to take my eyes off the road and try to focus on the screen and touch the right spot while bouncing down the road. The glow from the screen doesn't help my night vision either.
Great post, Bigfoot Dave
^^ This. Any function that is necessary to manipulate while driving should require minimal 'taking my eyes off the road'.
The guy who thought it is a good idea for touch screen wiper/defrost/fan/ et.al. controls should be hung by his thumbs.

I am still puzzled.
If you can't text while driving then why has someone
thought you can use your touch screen? Seems strange.
I know there is a major difference but you're still taking
your eyes off the road,or at least concentrating on something else.
Frank

I'm the pilot. I drive. All other duties are handled by the copilot. This topic has opened my eyes to what all those other crazy drivers may be doing besides driving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom