Tour of the Four wheel factory

Fish Junky

Last Saturday on the way to Fort Bragg the wife and I stopped into the Woodland Factory to check out the Campers. Was greeted by Stan and he gave us a tour of the shop and show room. The wife and I both fell in love with the Hawk model with the side dinette. Being a bigger guy I was worried the dinette would be to small but after seating at one in the shop it was very comfy. Here are the list of goodies we want to go with. If I am missing anything please let me know. :)

Mechanical jacks
2 way, 130 liter fridge
furnace with digital thermostat
water heater w/ outside shower
power roof fan
extra vent
side awning
solar panel
thermal pack
porta potty
rear wall air conditioning

Thanks again to Stan for the warm welcome and the fun tour.
Also thanks to anyone here that has any other advise that they would like to add. :)

I had a similar experience before I got mine: A nice tour of the factory and many questions answered. I got to see all the options and the various upholstery fabrics. After sitting in the campers, I chose the front dinette and not to get the built-in toilet. It was worth the trip.

- Bernard

Fish Junky, with the 130L fridge you will need the 160W solar panel, 2 AGM batteries, and possibly a portable panel. You didn't mention what type of camping you would doing, such as mostly back country or National Parks with no hook-ups, or mostly in places with shore power. The A/C unit will only work plugged into shore power or a generator. We have a 2014 Grandby with front dinette and we love it. Back then the 100W solar was what FWC sold. We also have an 80W portable panel. Our fridge is the 85L Dometic compressor fridge. We have to watch our electric use carefully, so with the new units being more energy efficient you still may need more solar. Good luck as you plan your camper. jd

Hello fish junky
Yes seeing them in person is a plus. We went with a reach in Engle refrigerator. I don't like that every time you open the door all the cold air falls out. Go for two powered roof vents if you can. I've read that the thermal packs work in the summer also, is that your thinking for the a/c? We had ours framed for a/c and the power run, but did not install. So far not really needed, time will tell. Roof rack tracksdont have to use them but there there if you want to, not real expensive option.

Russ

I second the above comments, the factory guys and place were top-notch, the large fridge will use plenty of power so "solar-up". I have a 65L Dometic and glad I have a 160W panel and will be getting a second panel for more juice. As for A/C, I have been in multiple days 95-100+ heat and I am quite amazed at the Fantastic Fan cooling and know the Thermal pack does matter. It takes seconds to cool it down and with windows open helps with a breeze. No breeze and the fan will do very well, after all, you don't have a living room to cool off. But you may want the A/C for other needs and that makes a generator/Shore power need. An inverter might be nice if you have AC/low wattage stuff. I use mine plenty.

Like mentioned...roof and portable solar panels...two powered roof vents...2Way 130L fridge is a no-brainer for us [we carry a ice chest for short term stuff and keep fridge door closed] ; as was the side dinette...led exterior side and down lights are nice to have but not need to have, we have them...

No experience with AC...steps on rear work for us....as do the Yakima roof rails, easy system to use and gives options...we got slider window in front to access the cab of truck [slider in truck] from inside the camper...

Great rigs and you will love it!

Phil

Ps...Slide in porta potty just inside door to the right..perfect fit and what my Bride wanted! I go outside or in a one liter bottle then dump in morning...different strokes, different folks.. :D

Rubbermaid collapsible steps perfect for us getting in and out...

Bought jacks [standard steel attachment plates on Hawk] but never plan to use them...not mounted on Hawk and still in boxes...current plan is to never remove camper but jacks are "just in case"...

Kevin, that'll be a nice addition....you might check the roof structure for mounting a kayak rack..... ;)

and welcome...I know you've been lurking around a while :D

Add Yakima tracks - easy to install solar panels.
Add rear wall solar connector - you may need a portable someday
I know you said "thermal pack" - warmer in winter. Cooler a in summer AND did you know it blocks your wife's silhouette from shining through the regular liner material at night.
Power roof fan over the bed. " fan in over bed...exhaust out over kitchen" in hot weather. Run each on low. Amp draw = 1 amp each fan x2 = 2 amps/ per hour.

Get a second roof fan. A fan above the bed is really nice in warm weather. The Yakima tracks make solar mounting easy. You could install them yourself, but FWC has lots of experience doing it right. I have the 65l frige, about 185 Watts of solar and 150 Amp-hr batteries and can go for several days, including CPAP all night.

- Bernard

Thank you guys for the replies. So added to the list is a extra solar panel and extra vent fan.

I will be using the camper mostly on long distance fishing trips and weekend quick get aways to the Coast with the wife.

Back
Top Bottom