Touring Kayakers and Canoeists?

pikabike, welcome to Wander the West! Like you, there are a number of us who canoe and kayak, and even a few of us who are known to haunt Lake Powell. We look forward to hearing more about your travels.

Thanks! This website combines several of my interests in a way I had not seen before, and I have already learned some useful things from perusing other threads.

I like the Advocacy & Stewardship section and hope to again become more active along those lines, especially with what I am afraid is forthcoming in the next few years.

Yes indeed Welcome Pikabike. Though I am not very active here, it is indeed a wonderful site. Great folks, great-widespread info on how to enjoy the outdoors.
I keep trying to spread my wings to the intermountain west. Getting the Shoshone lake / yellowstone area trip planned for july. Looking forward to warm days,fresh water, and charismatic mega fauna! Thanks for Nelsons book tip, will pick it up.
And the coast keeps calling, planning 2 trips on the west coast of vancouver again.
Your in a wonderful local, enjoy the mountains!

I won't even try to run down the list of boats we both have owned/paddled/sailed over the past 50 yrs. Currently we are down to 5 - 2 Wilderness Pungo rec kayaks, 1 Current Designs sea kayak, 1 OCC sea kayak, and a Sea Pearl 21 beach camp crusier. Last year we acquired a "free" boat trailer, we spent about $50 refurbishing and making road worthy. Took it and the Pungos behind our FWC to the Black Warrior last weekend. We love the AL and FL Gulf coast and all the rivers and lakes throughout the Southeast

Power Wagon said:
I won't even try to run down the list of boats we both have owned/paddled/sailed over the past 50 yrs. Currently we are down to 5 - 2 Wilderness Pungo rec kayaks, 1 Current Designs sea kayak, 1 OCC sea kayak, and a Sea Pearl 21 beach camp crusier. Last year we acquired a "free" boat trailer, we spent about $50 refurbishing and making road worthy. Took it and the Pungos behind our FWC to the Black Warrior last weekend. We love the AL and FL Gulf coast and all the rivers and lakes throughout the Southeast
Wow, a Sea Pearl - Neat boat!!!

Any photogs here who shoot from a Kayak/Canoe? What is you boat of choice?

Looking for very stable platform to take my very expensive Nikon stuff out on :)

Happyjax said:
Any photogs here who shoot from a Kayak/Canoe? What is you boat of choice?

Looking for very stable platform to take my very expensive Nikon stuff out on :)
Lighthawk is the only person I'm aware of.

I have been using my slr/dslr in my kayaks from the very beginning. Have used side loading dry bags to store cameras in and shoot out of. Mostly though, I use a smallish sized pelican case that is hooked to the front of my boat. Close enough to reach but wont interfere with the grab loop if I go over. I have paddled in AK many times like this, as well as BC and many other areas. I would interfere with my roll, but that is all but non existant. Just open it up, grab whatever body is in there and fire away. I will also keep another body in a dry bag in my lap. This system has served me well and have never lost or damaged gear.
I shoot Nikon DSLR, with lenses up to a 300mm.
Lake Powell is an amazing place as well, toilet issue is more of a hassle though.

Wango, thanks! We take the dory to Lake Powell, so toilets are not as bad an issue... Except for lifting the Porta Potti out of the boat when we tie up to 'Old Stinky' the pump out station.

Kayaking with Sully today :-D
Finger Lakes State Park, near Columbia, Missouri

yrtMavRHdseCSgpw3XhneG1vsQf4wrVDx9q3z-_kInnmzfrV4pccwfvoPZnaiVsLzK2gm7PBWBr49iTWtvSR4Canly2BAUz8kiUGHroq7lM9-QlQSGVc5iYuuJCPFZKzRGQFcWETbn-l8gn8ZcDNeQyGp-MvAl-PzQvUPOZN2E_l0HtpeSI2mTK0Xj9Jk4DquohGd1kkaRNADiVNdgWsHOmU-M0ACA3RgNnvPYLC49JUcrnHZbeveHW82mvtp5z1O489NJeKcvCJCLea4wTUrbZoW1dJ5Yffn_OiAvFn5gRFVBBHIjy3ZPS3prtmRSRfDu1hOKTUkJdMeyHXGBQm3UYdpPvETZQOZkLmvzFWeuP5lBhXPyraJR-hVfLhvmHuV-5t_VdzL7rCq1ELMy5NDnkZxyIv6kt7ek3iljR-nqdhZa0fHq_LC1rdQS_kk1VesfPdDKIBEUzwBTx6YNI-9ef-nmWfBvU-GH2X3dMJOyYnrCL7spcvCRPbhZtvsYuXsmTzfKOHuDJw_Qq3egshVmrLvUFGOsDpddsbf7h3bvRlwpzC0NTKYyGI8G5ggvzhXcTqDvispbcpE-pRPfiSSTuzx52lhJMgAqnrTiw95NXefMiBbRKkG0_isQ=s1080-no

hoyden said:
Kayaking with Sully today :-D
Finger Lakes State Park, near Columbia, Missouri

yrtMavRHdseCSgpw3XhneG1vsQf4wrVDx9q3z-_kInnmzfrV4pccwfvoPZnaiVsLzK2gm7PBWBr49iTWtvSR4Canly2BAUz8kiUGHroq7lM9-QlQSGVc5iYuuJCPFZKzRGQFcWETbn-l8gn8ZcDNeQyGp-MvAl-PzQvUPOZN2E_l0HtpeSI2mTK0Xj9Jk4DquohGd1kkaRNADiVNdgWsHOmU-M0ACA3RgNnvPYLC49JUcrnHZbeveHW82mvtp5z1O489NJeKcvCJCLea4wTUrbZoW1dJ5Yffn_OiAvFn5gRFVBBHIjy3ZPS3prtmRSRfDu1hOKTUkJdMeyHXGBQm3UYdpPvETZQOZkLmvzFWeuP5lBhXPyraJR-hVfLhvmHuV-5t_VdzL7rCq1ELMy5NDnkZxyIv6kt7ek3iljR-nqdhZa0fHq_LC1rdQS_kk1VesfPdDKIBEUzwBTx6YNI-9ef-nmWfBvU-GH2X3dMJOyYnrCL7spcvCRPbhZtvsYuXsmTzfKOHuDJw_Qq3egshVmrLvUFGOsDpddsbf7h3bvRlwpzC0NTKYyGI8G5ggvzhXcTqDvispbcpE-pRPfiSSTuzx52lhJMgAqnrTiw95NXefMiBbRKkG0_isQ=s1080-no
Sounds like fun. did you post a picture? I can't see it- just gibberish. I love paddling pics. Maybe try again? :)

Hoyden, you have my sympathy- I hate it when that happens. You must be doing something different. Is Google generating the link? Are you using the image button to post the link? Can't think of what else it might be. Maybe someone else has some ideas. Thanks for trying again. :)

Back
Top Bottom