Tow Missle: Latest Mod

the fisherman

Big Time
Finished up installing what may be the last mod done to my truck. Added a shut down timer, to protect the pricey turbo I installed. This thing is called a Diesel Turbo Saver. It can be set from one to two hundred and fifty minutes, has a pre lube feature that allows you to pre lube your motor before start up, real good thing when it's cold, also has a security feature making theft more difficult. I really like the idea that I don't have to sit around anymore waiting for the thing to cool off, just lock the door and walk away. For those of you who own diesel powered trucks, this might be a good investment, especially Fords. EAT MORE FISH

Funny how long that five minute cool down takes when you're just sitting there. Unfortunately those units aren't cheap.

Turbo

Funny how long that five minute cool down takes when you're just sitting there. Unfortunately those units aren't cheap.

Turbo- 2200.00 Turbo Saver- 312.00

Turbo- 2200.00 Turbo Saver- 312.00

Not just the cost but labor too. Like the idea of pre-lube on cold starts.

Do those units just go on time or can you use a thermal coupler and have it turn off on tempature?

With that set up will your insurance company give you a discount?

I put a "Diesel Turbo Lifesaver" on the Ram right out of the box. The pre lube feature is great and I love just setting it and forgetting it ala Ron Popiel. The anti start feature is nice too. I mounted it pretty unobtrusively. Now all you need is a Scan Guage and you're all set. Here's a pic of the mounting.

Attachments

• DTL Activation Button.jpg
    DTL Activation Button.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 449
Probably A Good Idea

JAY, I would bet you that most people have no idea what a real hot shut down can do to a turbo, really a big deal for me with a heavy tow. I would sit around for probably ten minutes while it cooled off. My ball bearing turbo probably cost a third more than the stock unit, this is cheap insurance as far as i'm concerened. Gee I love it when I do something sensible. EAT WAY MORE FISH

Fisher Dude,
The number one cause of turbo failure is shutting it down hot. When you turn off the engine that thing is still spinning at thousands of RPM with no lubrication. Its pretty cheap insurance and you dont have to sit ther forever. Were eating more fish but AZ isnt Oxnard.

I was looking into getting a cooldown timer also but since I have a manual tranny I decided against it. I feel much safer parking it in gear.
I'm not sure this is true but I've heard that leaving an unattended vehicle running is illegal in Calif.

Dick

Brakin The Law Again

I was looking into getting a cooldown timer also but since I have a manual tranny I decided against it. I feel much safer parking it in gear.
I'm not sure this is true but I've heard that leaving an unattended vehicle running is illegal in Calif.

Dick

Would that be a misdemanor or a felony

Spelling Lessons

Would that be a misdemanor or a felony

Misdmeanor, thats why i'm a fisherman and not a school teacher, those of you with kids can be thankful for that.

Never heard about any law like that. We do have a law that you can't idle for more than five minutes. Haven't seen that enforced yet.

I believe that is a law. My guess is they enforce it as often as the driver door exit law. It is ileagle in CA to exit a vehicle on the traffic side. However in my adopted state of AZ we have the "stupid motorist law". That's really what its called. Its about entering a dip in the road when its flooded. Just about every dip has a sign that states "do not enter when flooded" and every rain people have to be pulled out. There is also the occasional fatality due to drowning. If common sense were money these folks would starve.

A Little Common Scence Goes A Long Way

MR. PUEBLO, I operate in an industry that sets the bench mark for idiotic regulations and laws, were fighting the bas%*#&*%$s every day, I spend more time in Sacramento now than I do on the boat. And all it's really about is a little common scence. Yes, it is the law in Ca. no engine running in an unattended vec. so I leave my dogs in the truck, just to make sure were all safe. Were used to this out west, I think there putin sumtin in the water. I don't drink it anymore. IF YOU'LL JUST EAT A FEW MORE FISH

Pescadero Grande,
I spent over 30 years in the CA school bus industry (pupil transportation) so I'm no stanger to regulations. We have the entire CVC + thousands of laws specific to the biz and all of it regulated by CHP. I always felt the safety of the pupil was paramount so it never really bothered me.

I know that protecting the fishery is important to your livelyhood but it seems the small fisherman gets the pole while the big corps reel in the profits. After 20 years in Oxnard I have heard all the complaints about the no fish zones. I dont fish and dont understand all the ramifications but I have seen what happens when LAW MAKERS GO BAD. Good luck. Dont eat ranch raised fish.

Have any of you ever walked through a big truck stop at night? close to 100 big rigs idling for hours, it nearly chokes you out. I think this is what the law is addressing, not turbo cool down.

Too Much Smoke

Sam, I'm sure you're right. Also it was designed to discourage people from leaving their vech. with motor running and their kid in a car seat in back, at the 7-11 in downtown Watts. Kinda suprised how much interest this topic generated, I used it to vent a little frustration, part of my ongoing therapy.Today is a beautiful day on the NORTH COAST, everything is emerald green, including the rivers. This is my favorite time here. So load up your rigs and come on up,or down,or over it's the place to be. ATE FISH FOR LUNCH UMM TASTY

Think we're talking two different laws here. Its one of those good/bad things with idling. It should be discouraged when its not necessary. When I was doing shipping/receiving many truckers would leave their engines idling while we loaded/unloaded and for no good reason. On the other hand, you have the long haul guys that live in their truck, and when its hot they need to keep that rig idling to make it livable.

Back
Top Bottom