Towel push baar on back screen door?

Mic

Advanced Member
I had an Eagle and had a towel push bar on the back screen door. I sure can't find what I had? Getting ready to order a Raven and want to start getting some extras for it..seems it was suggested to me here?

I have one and it works great.

Before installing it, pop the top and position the bar where it works well for your situation. I installed it where i thought should logically go near the middle (top to bottom) of the screen door. After using it on one trip, I removed it and installed it near the top of the door.

Works much better for me there. No bending over head first out the door to grab the handle to close the door.

Paul

Paul...trying to visualize how this bar works...my screen door on the Hawk has a latch connecting it to the main door...to close it with main door open and locked in place, I must first release the latch on the screen door holding it to the main door then pull it closed and latch in place on the camper. For me unlatching it from the open and secured main door requires either leaning way out or stepping out of camper to access the screen door latch. In passing, the screen door latch is a very weak plastic lever...not very secure nor strong.

Mine is the same. If the door is latched open, I'm stuck with getting out to unlatch the main door or to unlatch the screen from the main door.

The door bar is attached to the screen perimeter metal with screws.
If the screen door is not latched or the main door is not latched, I can pull on the Camco door bar and close either the screen or both doors. Most of the time, I have recently entered the camper and the door is open and unlatched so it is easy to pul the door closed. If I know I will want to close the door soon, I have to remember to unlatch it before climbing in. Most of the time it works fine for me.

You're right about it being a weak latch plus it is tedious to align if ever again I make the mistake of trying to "straighten" the screen latch.

Paul

Ditto at the top on a Fleet. Watch the clearance of any drawers or cabinet doors. I just cleared the silverware drawer by pure luck.

One of my better additions! Just rescued a small dog and now looking for a dog guard for mine. Still skidish on Big Box stores and such. Anybody got a good one online? Sorry for the hijack :(

PaulT said:
Mine is the same. If the door is latched open, I'm stuck with getting out to unlatch the main door or to unlatch the screen from the main door.

The door bar is attached to the screen perimeter metal with screws.
If the screen door is not latched or the main door is not latched, I can pull on the Camco door bar and close either the screen or both doors. Most of the time, I have recently entered the camper and the door is open and unlatched so it is easy to pul the door closed. If I know I will want to close the door soon, I have to remember to unlatch it before climbing in. Most of the time it works fine for me.

You're right about it being a weak latch plus it is tedious to align if ever again I make the mistake of trying to "straighten" the screen latch.

Paul

Got it...makes sense, rather than grabbing on to top of door to swing it and screen shut...had to laugh: I also tried to "straighten latch"...screws holding screen latch on main door easily pull out of thin door sheet...live and learn..

Thanks again.. Phil

I actually have two of these on my screen door. One up high for grabbing while in the camper and one down low to allow me to kick the door open without hitting the screen as well as to grab it while standing on the ground outside. IMG_4337.JPG

Thanks for all the replies. I used mine for a dish towel holder before and that worked out great too! I have one on order!!!

Just make sure to line it up and attach it with the screen door closed, not open. Don't ask me how I know this is a good idea.

bimmeryota said:
I actually have two of these on my screen door. One up high for grabbing while in the camper and one down low to allow me to kick the door open without hitting the screen as well as to grab it while standing on the ground outside.
attachicon.gif
IMG_4337.JPG
That's brilliant!

two sizes to choose your on that Amazon link!!! which size do I need to buy????

dennis 221 said:
two sizes to choose your on that Amazon link!!! which size do I need to buy????

The one that best fits your needs and what you want....one thicker than other.. :cool:

Reviving this post... From 2020

I ordered the Camco 42183 Screen Door Cross Bar Handle from Amazon that Vic posted, Thanks Vic.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Screen-Door-Cross-Handle/dp/B0012GTVVA/ref=sr_1_1?crid=ELBR8QE9HXZD&dchild=1&keywords=rv%2Bscreen%2Bdoor%2Bpush%2Bbar&qid=1588715919&sprefix=rv%2Bscreen%2Bdor%2B%2Caps%2C215&sr=8-1&th=1

Reviews theme was the screws are not good and will twist and break even on a person that used the recommended pre drill size.

I had some left over project screws that I used that have a flush head that look better.

Self-Piercing Lath Screws #8 x 1/2inch. I still predrilled.

I think my gal is really going to like it as she is popping out the clear slider and breaking it. (duct tape to the rescue).
Patrick
20230607_195328_resized.jpg

New '23 Hawk owner here. Wish I had read this BEFORE I installed my Camco grab bar, esp. the part about closing the door before figuring the drill hole positions. First go I mounted the bar with holes dead center of the vertical screen door frame, nice and symmetrical-like. Close door first time, whoops! It won't close because the grab handles hit the camper door frame. I have the grab bar positioned over the middle screen door horizontal frame piece like many of the pics I have seen here.

With re-positioning the grab bar handles (test fit) so they barely clear (and I mean still touching) the camper door frame with the screen door fully closed, the grab bar mount holes now fall dead center of the recessed channel in the screen door frame, not the flat part. There's not much metal there to grab the screws. The other issue with this is that the top grab bar mount holes are right over the channel with the top section screen material wedged into it and there a good chance it would catch and mess up the screen if I drilled or put a screw in it. Plus making any future screen repair much harder.

Anybody else run into this situation and have an awesome solution?

EDIT: Ended up lowering the handle about 1/2" to clear the top channel with the screen in it, and used 1/8" longer screws, seems to be solidly attached.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom