Towing trailer with FWC

I have a 6.8 box and an 8ft granby hanging out the back, I do some towing here and there (car trailer, motorcycle trailer) What are you guys using if any? nothing sticks out past the tailgate when down.

I looked at hitch extenders but it looks like most are only good for 3500lbs.

I use a hitch extender and I don't tow anything heavier than a motorcycle trailer. To add the weight of a car trailer to what is already a sketchy situation (with that much weight hanging behind the rear wheels) is asking for trouble.

Unless your flat towing a vehicle.

Edit note: When I hooked it up today (6/21/15) I measured and step is 12 inches longer not 20"

We use a 12" extender (which is the step) while towing the Samurai. I get nervous towing it in traffic because I'm not sure the drivers around me know it is under tow because its 12 inches farther behind than normal.

gallery_2684_908_38437.jpg

It's not the strength of the hitch, it is the tongue weight. Assuming you have a 1/2 ton, or even a 3/4 ton, adding another couple hundred pounds 18-20" beyond the rear bumper when you already have a Grandby on a short-bed truck is pure insanity. Not so much a concern with RC's Samurai because he isn't adding tongue weight to the truck.

Thanks for comment Expresso. I only really know it is there when going downhill because of the extra weight especially when stopping.

Back
Top Bottom