Toyota Tundra overdrive with a truck camper

rock and roll

Advanced Member
This last week we took a 1,000 mile shake-down trip to Bend Oregon, camping overnight in Mt Shasta in sub freezing temps. We were comfortable and everything worked great. Tracking the MPG we got 12 mpg with the overdrive off (driving about 60 mph) and 14 mpg with the overdrive on (thanks to the 4x4 vinyl air damn--Thanks for those of you here at WTW that showed me how).

You are supposed to disable the overdrive when towing, but how about driving with your pop-up truck camper?

I want to look out for the health of my 100k+ mileage transmission (which was recently flushed and made fully synthetic) but at a 17% reduction in MPG, I'm inclined to leave it on.

Thanks for your input!

My $0.02 which are really worth less than one cent: the camper weight MUCH less than what is typically towed. I mean you might be towing a 7000# boat, but the camper is 1000#. Seems like leaving the OD on would be fine to me. I'd like to see what others who know more think though.

The problem I found with my T100 while carrying the camper in the mountains is that it was constantly shifting into and out of OD. I mean a lot. Not good for the tranny and even worse for my nerves. I never got better than 14 MPG with the OD and camper and usually less. KC uses the same set up I had and spends a ton of time in the Rockies. He might have a better sense of all this.

I would say that if the truck is staying in overdrive, it would be fine to leave it there. But if it is shifting in and out, then it would be best to take it out of overdrive.

I would say that if the truck is staying in overdrive, it would be fine to leave it there. But if it is shifting in and out, then it would be best to take it out of overdrive.

Thanks for all of the advice. Per usual, very helpful. I will probably adopt Hadley's method here.

I will probably adopt Hadley's method here.

That seems to make the most to me. Let the truck tell you.

This is what I do along with input from my tranny temp gauge. Don't forget this isn't just and overdrive issue, it also factors into locking out lower gears as needed too on steeper/slower windy stuff too. Anytime it's shifting a lot is no good.

Back
Top Bottom