TOYOTA TUNDRA

Freelheeler

Advanced Member
I know folks have talked about this in the past however i'm hoping to revive conversation...

Those who've bought campers/shells for 2000-06 Tundra's why and are you happy?
-Model and brand of camper
-How'd the truck handle the load, suspension mods (air bags, torsions bars, etc)
-Likes and dislikes of the camper and truck setup (is the std HAWK too big?)

I know folks have talked about this in the past however i'm hoping to revive conversation...

Those who've bought campers/shells for 2000-06 Tundra's why and are you happy?
-Model and brand of camper
-How'd the truck handle the load, suspension mods (air bags, torsions bars, etc)
-Likes and dislikes of the camper and truck setup (is the std HAWK too big?)

I have a 2005 Tundra 4x4 TRD with a standard 2002 Hawk. Great combination for me, I was looking at a new ATC Ocelot because of the fit to the Tundra. I found the Hawk at a price I could not pass up. After having it a while it is great on the Tundra. I built a V under the overhang to deflect the wind and fill the open area. Added air bags and rear stabilizer. One upside is resale on the normal Hawk will be more that one make just for the 1st generation Tundras.

2004 DC Tundra w/ 2008 hawk. Both were purchased new.

We love it.

The toyota dealer here told me I was fine with the Hawk and no suspension mods. Of course, he wants to sell me another 26K truck ASAP...so that info wasn't all that surprising. Added "Supersprings" but they only made it a bit stiffer and added some vbounce I didn't enjoy @ times, so I then added some Timbrens. Problem solved. No sway...very little bounce, and no sag.

About the only thing I wish was different was the gap between the truck and the camper....but it's sure not a deal killer.

Is it too big? Dunno.... never had anyhting else to compare it with. Might be nice to have an Eagle and a bit narrower set up... but I don't (need to) take my truck into super tight places and when we're ALL inside (wife, kid, me, 3 dogs) the extra 11 inches of width or whatever it is is invaluable. Ca'nt see it being SMALLER unless we were just a couple or I was a single guy. (which coulda happpened had I bought an old, moldy, musty unit!)

to each their own though. Good luck in your decisiion.

tn

Couldn't be happier with my set up. I have a 2006 DC Tundra with a 2003 Hawk. The truck definitely needed airbags (bumpstops would hit on large bumps). I think the Hawk is a great fit for the truck, definitely not too big.

I was initially concerned about the long wheel base of the DC for offroading purposes but it has not presented any issues as of yet and has field tested rigorously. My only dislike is with the camper on, the drag makes the cruise control very sensitive and difficult to use at times.

I am new to the forum, "Hello All", but have owned a FWC ( not sure of the model ) for a few years now. It is an an older FWC 6 ft. long narrow box that I totally rebuilt the lower half and made it wider to fit my 03 Access Cab Tundra with the 4.7 engine. The Tundra handled the FWC really well and with plenty of power for passing if needed. I added a 3 way refer and water heater along with a 20 gallon water tank to the camper so it was not just a light weight shell version. It has been to Alaska and up and down the west coast. The only thing the Tundra needs extra are the air springs. I loved this setup. Right now the camper is on my T-100 and that works great too but with a little less power. I just bought an 85 Fleet that I found thanks to this forum and I am redoing it to have a couple of extra feet in the camper. I am planning on selling the short FWC this spring with or without all the goodies if anyone might be interested.
Anyway, the Tundra is ideal for this camper and I do not see how you can go wrong. Also thank you all for the great forum and good ideas and also pointing me to my new fleet that I found in Hood River. Jim

2000 Tundra with a 2003 Hawk. Started out with overload springs but the rear end began to sag after about four years. Switched to airbags and they work great. Like others have said, the fit is not great and leaves a big gap between the roof of the truck and the camper overhang.

I also can't use the cruise control. It tries to hold the truck at a steady speed but overly accelerates when hit with an uphill or head wind.

Mileage went from averaging 18 without the camper to 11 or 12 with it.

If you could get a 2007 or newer with the 5.7, that might be a better way to go. We plan to replace our truck with a new Tundra one of these days and just transfer the Hawk to it.

I originally had my 2008 Hawk mounted on a 2000 Tundra with the 4.7L motor. I too noticed a big dip in milage, 15 mpg no camper, 10 - 11 mpg with hawk, 7.5 mpg with Hawk and pulling a 3000 lb trailer. I didn't have enough power for passing on any hills. The new Tundras with the larger motors would have a lot more power, and probably get much better gas milage too.

I added custom Deever (10 leaf) spring packs and air bags for the back. This helped tremendously.

Since my Tundra was from the first batch of Tundras on the market...the disk brakes were too small to stop the truck/camper very well. Toyota increased the size of the rotors/calipers on later models.

The Hawk/Tundra combination worked just fine overall though....it's probably one of the most popular combinations out there.

I have a 2005 Tundra 4x4 TRD with a standard 2002 Hawk. Great combination for me, I was looking at a new ATC Ocelot because of the fit to the Tundra. I found the Hawk at a price I could not pass up. After having it a while it is great on the Tundra. I built a V under the overhang to deflect the wind and fill the open area. Added air bags and rear stabilizer. One upside is resale on the normal Hawk will be more that one make just for the 1st generation Tundras.

Do you have picture of the v deflector you made? I thought about that too.

Here you go. I used a plastic 4x4 cover from Home Depot held on by (3) 5/16 bolts. I cut a v and heated the front to bend so it is one piece. I have 1"x3" 1/4" thick stainless plates tapped to 5/16 these are inside the 4x4 cover and pot riveted in place. I made 5/16 studs with a point to mark where to drill the holes. There is a line you see in the front I used a sharpie and should have used a pencil to mark the center. Total cost under $20 If I did again I would take the sides out farther. It did make a BIG difference in wind noise. Had a buffering noise at 35 MPH before and now it comes in about 70 MPH. I am looking to add a side deflector to go from the v to the bottom the of the Hawk on each side.

Bill

v front.jpg
v front side.jpg
v side.jpg

Another possiblity for a deflector is to install a Yakima bar on the front of the truck and use a Yakama wind deflector.

If anyone else has pics of wind deflectors post them i keep hearing about wind noise and the std hawk on the tundra must be pretty noticeable.

Talked to marty at ATC last night, seems very helpful. we got to talking about older models (mid 80's) and what fits the older style tundra. He made it sound like quite a few, i was only able to catch a few he listed off so anyone help would be good. the FWC website only lists the newer models.

I'm really only interested in the 6.5' models

Ranger II
Fleet

If anyone else has pics of wind deflectors post them i keep hearing about wind noise and the std hawk on the tundra must be pretty noticeable.

Talked to marty at ATC last night, seems very helpful. we got to talking about older models (mid 80's) and what fits the older style tundra. He made it sound like quite a few, i was only able to catch a few he listed off so anyone help would be good. the FWC website only lists the newer models.

I'm really only interested in the 6.5' models

Ranger II
Fleet

I believe the older fleets were 7.5 feet long...Older fleet on a '02 tundra

Attachments

• DSCN1555.JPG
    DSCN1555.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 151
I have an '06 Tundra Double Cab with an '08 Hawk and love the combination. As mentioned previously, I too noticed a 4-5 mpg drop when the Hawk was added. Wind noise has not been a problem for us. Since installing the camper I have never removed it from the truck.

While out exploring Idaho I often have it in 4x4 low and 1st gear crawling around back country roads and wish the gearing was lower. We also frequently pull a trailer with 3 ATVs and a motorcycle without any issues.

If I was starting from scratch I'd go with a newer generation Tundra ('07+) which has more towing capacity and a larger engine....this is a great match for a Hawk.

Attachments

• 2009 308.jpg
    2009 308.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 156
I have an '06 Tundra Double Cab with an '08 Hawk and love the combination. As mentioned previously, I too noticed a 4-5 mpg drop when the Hawk was added. Wind noise has not been a problem for us. Since installing the camper I have never removed it from the truck.

While out exploring Idaho I often have it in 4x4 low and 1st gear crawling around back country roads and wish the gearing was lower. We also frequently pull a trailer with 3 ATVs and a motorcycle without any issues.

If I was starting from scratch I'd go with a newer generation Tundra ('07+) which has more towing capacity and a larger engine....this is a great match for a Hawk.

is that a hawk (kestral?)

Here is a pic of the Yakama wind deflector. I mounted a set of Yakama bars on the roof of the tundra with a Yakama basket in between....and the Yakama wind deflector on the front bar. Plenty of room for a few lawn chairs, small gas can etc. on the roof rack basket.

Attachments

• DSC_00290001_hawk_on_tundra.JPG
    DSC_00290001_hawk_on_tundra.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 323
I believe the older fleets were 7.5 feet long...Older fleet on a '02 tundra

is there a 6-6.5 version of that vintage camper?

Here is a pic of the Yakama wind deflector. I mounted a set of Yakama bars on the roof of the tundra with a Yakama basket in between....and the Yakama wind deflector on the front bar. Plenty of room for a few lawn chairs, small gas can etc. on the roof rack basket.

pretty slick concept i like the idea of a little more outdoor storage. It's also a good point the camper may be used on multiple trucks throughout its life and resale is probably better, it worked out great in your situation.

However, people like you make it hard for people like me to find good used campers!

is that a hawk (kestral?)

It is a normal Hawk, the DC beds are deeper than the AC beds, hence, the tighter fit.

leadslad9,
It would seem the sides of the basket would come almost up to the camper, making it hard to load. Is this not the case?

Back
Top Bottom