TOYOTA TUNDRA

It would seem the sides of the basket would come almost up to the camper, making it hard to load. Is this not the case?

It was really no problem loading things the size of lawn chairs in there. It was tight...but no problem. I have the two bars, wind deflector, and basket sitting in the garage......would you like me to take a picture of the set up off the truck? Would that be of any help?

talked with Marty at ATC
1989 and newer mini and fleet will fit

also talked with him about purchasing a new shell??? i haven't reached my frustration theshold, yet. it's just nice knowing you can get what you want right off the shelf and no racing others and feeling the pressure to buy the first thing you see. plus the ocelot is built for the tundra and comes in 72 or 78" width?

std equipment
-screen door
-4" mattric
-ext bed
-fr window
-1) vent
-side window

all i'd need is a furnace, wiring for a future 110v and solar, couch(?) seems i could build something? all that for $7000-7500 and did i mention it's new! so much to think about...

however that come at a price...

i've called and left messages a few times and emailed= no response???? that's what i mean by frustrating...

I feel your pain. I tried finding a used one for some time and fianally just gave up and ordered a new one. Like you say....it's nice to get it configured exactly as you want it.

If you end up ordering a new one, make sure you get the special frame work and special wiring for all of the possible add ons in the future.

You just opened another can of worms... sorry ahead of time but this is probably a real good exercise for me in planning my camper...

say you had the opportunity to buy a new camper knowing what you know now what 'special framing' and 'special wiring' would be most critical for future upgrades. I know a lot of it depends on how you camp and what you want to do with the camper, I tend to tweak nearly everything i own to make it work better or simply more comfortable to live out of. Granted i've never owned a camper so i'm speculating a bit on what features would work best for us, as i mentioned above a simple shell with room to mod would be a huge upgrade for us, but i'm sure as time would go on cool features would be needed and i'd like to set it up for those. We camp, hunt, ski, explore and i can see this thing getting used alot long weekends to week long trips, fall hunting early mornings and late nights, wet and cold conditions with the need to dry gear and dogs

lighting indoor and outdoor
-reading in bed
-living area
-cooking under an awning
-backup lights
-area light late night peeing, working on stuff at night, early morning prep
-etc

power
-batteries, it seems lots of folks are upgrading to on board power and solar charging, great but expensive idea
-wiring for outlets
-ideally in the future i could have enough on board power to camp for a week without the truck, dual batteries charger, solar panel

water
-don't think i want a sink and h2o storage, but last night i look at my water jugs and thought maybe it won't be a bad thing to have?? can you plumb the thing after the fact, i know you can do most anything but is it a real pain

fridge/freezer
-again looked at the coolers and said it'd be sweet to have an on board freezer,
-3way or 2 way, run it off the truck while drive and propane while camping? again i should have the wiring run

Converters?

Awning
-cooking and drinking and beer in the shade or out of the rain, nice concept
-plan is to cook outside unless its damn cold than of course, we've hunted out of wall tents for years and it's damn nice to have the stove inside for early morning coffee and breakfast

racks
-should the roof have extra support?

again sorry for the rant but the more i think about it the more this thing is costing me!

It was really no problem loading things the size of lawn chairs in there. It was tight...but no problem. I have the two bars, wind deflector, and basket sitting in the garage......would you like me to take a picture of the set up off the truck? Would that be of any help?

leadsled9, that would be wonderful! Thank you.

You just opened another can of worms... sorry ahead of time but this is probably a real good exercise for me in planning my camper...

I am only offering my opinion here.....other folks have different opinions/needs. My basic trips tend to be in the middle of nowhere...for extended periods of time. I generally tow a covered trailer with an ATV. I've spent a huge amount of time in tents (including nice wall tents)....and love my FWC. I never want to go back to tent camping.

To me....the water storage system is absoultely critical. The new 22 gallon tank is great. More food for thought. Even if you don't think you want the hot water/shower option.....FWC is now installing 6 gallon water heaters.....and with the water heater tank full....that would give you 28 gallons of water at your disposal (I only have 24 gallons with my 4 gallon water heater, and 20 gallon main tank). This would mean you don't have 6 five-gallon water containers banging together...tearing up your interior panelling, leaking all over etc. while you are bouncing down that jeep trail. It means not having to hoist the cans for pouring water and screwing up your back. I would argue that the amount of space you give up for the water storage is less space than 6 5-gallon water cans would take up on the floor. You'd be amazed at how nice it is to take a hot shower...might want to think about it. I am going to re-plumb my shower to also have an inside hook-up for the hose....so I can rig a shower curtain and take inside showers like other members of the forum do. Sometimes the weather is just too nasty (cold/windy) to take an outside shower. The sink is a great option....clean up....food prep etc. I store bags of fruit or other items in the sink when traveling so it isn't really wasted space.

Next, frame mods. Many folks like to carry jerry cans, tires, etc. on the back of the camper. These items are heavy and would require some frame additions to support it. I have an air conditioner instead of a back window. This requires special frame mods and special wiring mods.

Special wiring. As I mentioned, I have the factory AC installed. This required a 110 volt outlet on the passenger side of the camper. I plugged a power strip in there as well, and mounted it between the seats of the dinnette....thus giving me a place on that side of the camper to plug in my various chargers and my laptop. You probably won't get AC installed....but I would make sure they install a 110 volt plug-in on the passenger side so both sides are covered. I think they include the wiring for solar sandard...but I would make sure this is so in case you want solar panels in the future. I had a reading light installed (special wiring if you want to add later). I have two vents, both with the electric fan on them. These require special wiring.

You mentioned staying a week without the truck. You will need to have two camper batteries and solar for that....or just one battery and a generator. I have only one battery...but always have either my Honda 1000 or 2000 generator with me. I love 110 system in the camper, as I have the luxury of a 19 inch flat panel tv (to watch DVD movies on), computer, various chargers etc. Might seem like frills to some...but a real comfort on a 4-6 week trip.

I have the awing and porch light...very nice. I also purchased the Fiamma "Privacy Room" which turns the awning area into a nice room with windows etc., so I would have a lot of extra space when conditions warrant it (see attached). Other members of the forum use the Oztent for the same purpose.

I do all my cooking inside except my grilling. I put a tee in the propane line and have a hose that connects my gas grill (which I can mount on the side of the trailer). I love the external flood lights for lighting up camp and for grilling....you'll need the wiring for that.

The refrigerator/freezer is a wonderful luxury...much nicer than an ice box. I have the 3 way and it works just fine. This uses a amazingly small amount of propane...and would work fine for your expected stays without a truck. I would suggest the 3-way if long stays without the truck. The other option would use too much juice...and the solar (85 watts) might not provide enough to run the fridge and charge the battery. Solar would be nice though...and I'm thinking about adding it in the future. I made sure the wiring was in place.

As for roof racks, I had FWC install both the boat rack and the Yakama tracks....since I wanted maximum flexability for future needs. I am real picky about adding things to the roof....better to let the pros do it.....don't want/need a leaking roof.

Whew....I may think of more later.....

Attachments

• fiamma.jpg
    fiamma.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 135
sounds like your dialed! too bad you didn't sell your camper when you upgraded your truck... however it looks ideal on the ford.

Plan to talk w/ ATC today about a basic shell w/ furnace, setup for future upgrades, if the price gets up close to the basic camper i'll have some more thinking to do... or if by chance something used comes up forsale...

keep the comments coming everyone...

[I am planning on selling the short FWC this spring with or without all the goodies if anyone might be interested.
Anyway, the Tundra is ideal for this camper and I do not see how you can go wrong. Also thank you all for the great forum and good ideas and also pointing me to my new fleet that I found in Hood River. Jim .... said

Jim, i might be interested, i just bought a Tundra 2005 V6 Access cab (6.5 ' bed) with a Friend in Sandiego and am considering upgrading from the canopy to a pop up before visiting Alaska this august with teenager kids.
How heavy is your unit ( tundra has a quite limited payload)
Did you figure out which model you have
How many sleeping spots and which size are there ?

Someone apparently answered asbeing interested & your offer might be obsolete.
RSalutations
Hervé

leadsled9, that would be wonderful! Thank you.

Hi Ted,

Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• DSC_03770001_rack1.JPG
    DSC_03770001_rack1.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_03790001_rack2.JPG
    DSC_03790001_rack2.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_03800001_rack3.JPG
    DSC_03800001_rack3.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 134
I am a newbie when it comes to this form and to the TC use. I to own a 2000 toyota trundra, while reading the froms about Toyota Tundra and campers. :oops: The question is what is a hawk? :D I own a 2000 Sunlite Sky Hawk is that what you all are talking about? if so I am ready to hear more. My use is not only camping I have 15 1/2' bass boat that goes with me would love to learn all I can! :D
This is Eng#1 /10-17

I am a newbie when it comes to this form and to the TC use. I to own a 2000 toyota trundra, while reading the froms about Toyota Tundra and campers. :oops: The question is what is a hawk? :D I own a 2000 Sunlite Sky Hawk is that what you all are talking about? if so I am ready to hear more. My use is not only camping I have 15 1/2' bass boat that goes with me would love to learn all I can! :D
This is Eng#1 /10-17

Welcome Engine. The Hawk referred to here is the Hawk model camper by Four Wheel Campers.

The question is what is a hawk?

"Hawk" was a reference to the Four Wheel Campers "Hawk" model camper. Welcome to the forum.

Ok this is Eng#1 again thanks fot the info :cool: went to Hawk web site sweet! did not know there was such a thing out there; I opt for a TC popup. Now tell me this how do you raise the top? my TC has the crank up system :( like it but I would love to have an Electric system which I am trying to work out the bugs any inventors out there :unsure: I made my own torklits they work just as good as the store brand. As for my toyota would not trade it well may fro a 07 :rolleyes:
Engine # 1 10-17

Lifting is by the owner power principle - you get under the top and lift it to raise it. There are various ways to decrease the effort, but electrical lifts??? Too heavy.

is there an alternative to jacks (mechanicals seem like the way to go) or do i need to buck up and buy them with the camper. or i may try and find them used

talked with marty again late last week, he wanted to make clear i knew the ATC OSCELOT it's very specific to the tundra and will only fit other trucks if it's put up on a 'riser'. i'm looking at the 72" width however it comes in the 78" which is a few inches narrower than the FWC Hawk, and would allow a bit more interior and probably be useable on other full size trucks, i'm thinking resale...

So

To tundra owners or previous tundra owners who bought campers specific to the truck have you considered what you'll do with the camper if you sell the truck or what have you done? let's see some pics of 'riser' mods and for those who bought std HAWK campers let see more pics of the air flow mods. We have an 03 tundra with 88,0000 miles and have no intentions of selling the truck, that said within the next 5 years or between 150-200,000 miles we'll probably be looking for something different. It feels like a safe bet but definitely a consideration.

To tundra owners or previous tundra owners who bought campers specific to the truck have you considered what you'll do with the camper if you sell the truck or what have you done?

Here is my $0.02.

When I change trucks, I'll probably change campers if mine isn't a perfect fit. The question to ask yourself is "What is my next truck going to be?"; of course, you probably can't answer this yet.... For what it's worth, if I did it again, I'd buy the longer camper.

Back
Top Bottom