Trailer hitch swing arm

Doff

Advanced Member
Hi
Wondering if anyone can suggest a quality hitch swing arm? We bought one made by Kuat for our bike rack, but the quality is poor and it resulted in our rack sagging and damaging our bikes.

We have a 2020 f250 and there hitch is a 3” receiver. So any swing arms that work on a 3” receiver? Also any swing arms that could also hold thighs like an Aluminess box?

The Yakima BackSwing is bomber.. had one for bike rack (80 lbs and one mtn bike, 30 ish and one ebike 60 ish). Very stable.. adds 14 inches of length though so we went with another option when we got our new truck/camper . Old truck had tailgate down so the 14 inches was needed.

Seems like the Yakima is made for 2” receiver. Can’t find anything on the Wilco off-road about receiver size

Just got a Saris Swing. $349. Seems well built. Has 250lb max load. Going to put my Ebike on it with a Harbor freight ramp. Can give more details next weekend after I have gotten everything together and tried it out :)

The 2" / 3" thing on the receiver is sort of moot.
There are flush adapters that fit in a 3" receiver to make it 2" .
A big problem with buying something that is made 3" is you'll never get it to fit without hanging way out in a more common 2" receiver :p

Ya I dunno why Ford made them 3”….it’s kinda frustrating. The adapters seem like crap….they allow a lot of movement.

When ordering a F350 with the tow package, the receiver is a 3", but Ford supplies an adapter to reduce down to 2". It's just a simple sleeve that slides into receiver tube.

fish more said:
When ordering a F350 with the tow package, the receiver is a 3", but Ford supplies an adapter to reduce down to 2". It's just a simple sleeve that slides into receiver tube.
Same thing with RAM 3500

fish more said:

Ya we got the sleve adapter. It’s allows for a ton of movement. We got a “hitch tightener” but it’s kind of a hassle. Would be nice to fun a swing arm that has a 3” hitch

Doff said:
Hi
Wondering if anyone can suggest a quality hitch swing arm? We bought one made by Kuat for our bike rack, but the quality is poor and it resulted in our rack sagging and damaging our bikes.

We have a 2020 f250 and there hitch is a 3” receiver. So any swing arms that work on a 3” receiver? Also any swing arms that could also hold thighs like an Aluminess box?
I have a '21 F250. I got the Yakima Backswing and welded an adapter sleeve onto it. That took a lot of the wobble out. So far, it's working pretty well.

The Saris has a screw in bolt system with a lock and a hitch stabilizer. It is very stable as is but won't know anymore til I get it set up :)

We have a very heavy and beefy Kuat and are very happy with it. We haul 2 e mtb’s (50lbs each) and have not had any issues. Even off-road. Was expensive but worth it. $399 (I think) just for the swing out.

Chevy has been using the 3” receivers for a while. PIA. I bought an aftermarket 2”. The bike rack and swing out have a “set screw” that has a steel ball that acts as a shim that removes any slack movement of the rack. If you have the 3” receiver with a sleeve, there is still a lot of play between the sleeve and the receiver that you can’t do anything about.

I had a hitch that had slop in it. Was from my Waterport Tank. Threw 3m electrical tape around the hitch avoiding the hole and it worked like a champ.

Yes having it swing to the drivers side could be a big advantage. I did not have that choice but I also only paid $349, built in America and looks and feels solid. Only time will tell if I made the right choice :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom