Trails.com

brett13

Lovecock
Anyone every subscribe to or try www.trails.com? It's $50/yr to be a member and I'm curious how good a site it is. Says you get access to all topos with membership, which might be worth $50/yr anyway.

(DD- wasn't sure where to put this topic, so move as you see fit- thx)

Whenever I have been researching an area, it seems I can find a lot of personal reports and maps. Seems like paying for the same info is not necessary. Then again, I haven't seen what they offer compared to what is out there for free. Would be interesting to see if they actually have better info or maps.

Too much free info on the web. I have found several free trail sites and also I buy used books on Amazon. Another good source is National geographic TOPO software, it is not cheap, but I found used copies and the updates are free. I would never pay for free info. Are you looking for backpacking trails and for what area?

I was given a 1 year free subscription several years ago when I was a contributor to a backpacking magazine. I found it of limited use. Certainly not worth $50.

I was given a 1 year free subscription several years ago when I was a contributor to a backpacking magazine. I found it of limited use. Certainly not worth $50.

Interesting.

I was looking for a description to a particular hot spring and found only VERY vague directions, but their site seems to have more detail, but of course I'm not a subscriber. So I was wondering how useful it might be. Normally, I just google around and search for people posting stuff or comments, but having it all in one place might be nice. I get my topos from the Garmin GPS software. BTW, I just upgraded from my ancient MapSource to the newer, higher detail stuff and it is really good.

Interesting.

I was looking for a description to a particular hot spring and found only VERY vague directions, but their site seems to have more detail, but of course I'm not a subscriber. So I was wondering how useful it might be. Normally, I just google around and search for people posting stuff or comments, but having it all in one place might be nice. I get my topos from the Garmin GPS software. BTW, I just upgraded from my ancient MapSource to the newer, higher detail stuff and it is really good.

My experience dates from 2006. At that time much of the content was user generated and inaccuracies were abundant. Most of the information pertained to day hikes with little provided for multi-day backpacking routes. The maps were no better than what could be obtained for free on Terraserver. I think they offer a free trial membership so you might want to give that a whirl. Let us know what you find.

I'm almost always disappointed to see a subscriber based model. A site can, in my opinion and observation, manage to generate more revenue serving ads. I used to use topozone.com, but trails.com made it subscriber based; now use topoquest.

Skip it an find a free alternative.

You can get free topo maps at the Libra map project. Someone posted it a while ago and I bookmarked it. Nice site:

http://libremap.org/

You can get free topo maps at the Libra map project. Someone posted it a while ago and I bookmarked it. Nice site:

http://libremap.org/

WOW!! Nice Site!!! Thank you!! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom