Transporting four wheel camper across the country.

Fernweh

Advanced Member
Does anybody have a good transport company to pick up a camper on the east coast and deliver it to the upper Midwest. I have a $1000 quote right now, hope to do better.

So Ferweh, how did it work out for you?

I am trying to ship one from the east coast to the west. I contacted uship and a few other "brokers". I was flooded with emails and phone calls which was exciting but painful at the same time. Within a day I had over a dozen quotes from $900 - $2500. The problem is... The camper is not lick a car where anyone can simply drive it onto a car carrier designed to ship cars..... plus, I have read up on all the scammers out there. My biggest fear is getting some knucklehead with a pickup truck and a trailer thinking he is going to haul my freshly purchased $25k camper 3000 miles.

Lets just say I would feel better if I could get contact info for a legitimate company that is bonded, insured and has a track record. Anyone have any intel that would help me make a decision?

I just shipped a car from FL to ID. In general, I think the transport industry is more messed up and controlled than any thing I've ever experienced. It's basically a bidding war where you can't participate unless you want to call shippers yourself and then they just pick the highest bid. All (car) shipping is on one large database so you are bidding and if you don't get lucky and find a transport who needs a car (they have plenty of choices) the price keeps going up. The quotes you get will most likely go up when it comes to push and shove. Those quotes are what they think a driver will pick up your vehicle for but until a driver decides its worth it, they won't come get it. I spent a lot of time trying to figure all this out and realized I had no chance of getting the price that I was quoted.

Back
Top Bottom