Trash

craig333

Riley's Human
The issue isn't news to anyone here nor are WTW members a part of the problem. I just found this statistic completely appalling.

After coming across a study conducted by Walt Disney and his team to find the maximum distance people would carry trash before dropping it, the entertainment mogul discovered that trash cans every 30 feet would do the trick. Using this metric, the students picked ideal locations for the new garbage cans close to littering hotspots in Incline Village.

Considering most of us will carry our trash as far we need to.

Trash, what a timely subject. I've mentioned here and in our blog about the number and make up of visitors coming up the hill to our local National Forest this season. Three times the number of usual summer visitors and a third have never been camping, in the mountains, or out of the city before.

Forget right or wrong or clueless; their actions and behavior is beyond mind boggling to me and to others who have spent a lifetime in the woods. It is a new world.

This was passed on to me last week. A Rec Tech or FPO (Forest Protection Officer) approached a single male in a dispersed campsite packing up from an overnight. It was all new gear right out of the aisle at Walmart. Most everything was packed up and in the car, except for the trash. The man was told he'd need to pick up and pack out all his trash. "Isn't that your job?" the man asked. It was a serious question, not antagonistic.
Our government employee patiently explained pack it in, pack it out to the individual.
The man pulled out his wallet, opened it, and produced a hundred dollar bill and said, "Here, I'll pay you to do it."

This is our new reality up here.

ski3pin said:
Trash, what a timely subject. I've mentioned here and in our blog about the number and make up of visitors coming up the hill to our local National Forest this season. Three times the number of usual summer visitors and a third have never been camping, in the mountains, or out of the city before.

Forget right or wrong or clueless; their actions and behavior is beyond mind boggling to me and to others who have spent a lifetime in the woods. It is a new world.

This was passed on to me last week. A Rec Tech or FPO (Forest Protection Officer) approached a single male in a dispersed campsite packing up from an overnight. It was all new gear right out of the aisle at Walmart. Most everything was packed up and in the car, except for the trash. The man was told he'd need to pick up and pack out all his trash. "Isn't that your job?" the man asked. It was a serious question, not antagonistic.
Our government employee patiently explained pack it in, pack it out to the individual.
The man pulled out his wallet, opened it, and produced a hundred dollar bill and said, "Here, I'll pay you to do it."

This is our new reality up here.
Good grief!

Ski it's the "new reality"everywhere I think.
That takes a lot of gall to insult the ranger like that.

I always think,didn't these people ever learn anything in kindergarten?

It seems the way our country is headed.
ME FIRST is the new theme.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom