Traveling With A BIG Dog

SantaCruzin

Well, after much family deliberation, we added a second dog to our pack. After we had to put our 16 year old dog down at the end of 2019, we'd always planned to get another dog and finally pulled the trigger. We have goats, chickens, etc. on the property so ended up getting a 6-month-old, 50 lb Great Pyrenees mix.

Two FWC-related questions:
  1. Does anyone travel with their dog in their FWC? Initially that sounded crazy, but then I realized that I used to always travel with my dogs in my truck bed with a camper shell on it. I suppose the difference is that if a camper shell flies off, the dog is still in the back of the truck. If a 4WC came off, the dog goes with it. I have a Crew Cab truck, but I have 2 kids, a wife, and now 2 dogs and there's no way we'd all fit up front.
  2. Any general tips/tricks for overnighting with a big dog in a FWC? We've done lots of camping trips with dogs in the past, but at that time we had a travel trailer or were just in a tent pre-kids.
Thanks ahead of time!

If the dogs are active, I find it annoying to feel the ever so slight weight shift or movement in the back of the camper. I’d crate the dog(s) if I were to travel with them in the back of the camper. I’d also have the crates strapped down. I also believe the dogs are safer from injury when crated.

My dogs combined weight is over 160 pounds.

Hope that helps.

Very helpful, thank you! Odie is active...for about 2 minutes. Haha. Great Pyrenees have it in their genes to only expend energy when their flock moves (and they have to move all of 15 feet) so that when a predator comes they can be ready for action. I never in my life thought I'd have a 6 month old puppy who is more chill than my 13 year old dog.

Considering he already sleeps in a 48" crate, it sounds like I need to get creative with a comfy option for him!

We have 2 dogs, 60 and 45 lbs.. so not huge. We chose a Grandby Shell so that it had more of an open feel and lots more floor space (and added a few extra ourselves). Works great for us, but there are only 2 of us...

I haven't thought much about dogs in the camper while on the road...ours are with us up front because of our situation. My initial thought was hell no, but as posted above, seems like if done safely and properly it shouldn't be an issue.

I'll be traveling for weeks at a time with our 55lb goldendoodle. With ventilation and a crate, I am planning on letting him ride in the camper as there is much more space for him vs siting in a seat.

We did a 15,000 mile trip in 2021 with him in our van and he had less space than he will in the Hawk. When we arrive at places, I let him roam on/off leash and also tether him outside while we're camping and outside with him.

When I purchased my ATC, we had two rez mutts, sisters, about 60 lbs each, Healer mother, different fathers. Having an extended cab, they travelled in the cab with us. Good travelers, always made sure they got well exercised before starting every day. We get a dog sling that hooked to the headrests on the back and front seats to make a secure area for them to lie on. They slept on the floor of the Ocelot at night and had more than enough room. It got a little problematic when one of them went blind, but she gamefully went camping for a couple of years after going blind (she passed in November). Her sister did not appreciate getting stepped on by her.

Agree with strapping down the crates in the camper - maybe look at some T track install for tie-downs. Many bird hunters carry dogs in the back of the truck, but the best make sure the crates are secured.

Cheers all, super helpful! We're still dealing with flooding and all kinds of craziness here in Santa Cruz, but hopefully we'll get a trip on the books in the next month or two to give it a go!

SantaCruzin said:
Cheers all, super helpful! We're still dealing with flooding and all kinds of craziness here in Santa Cruz, but hopefully we'll get a trip on the books in the next month or two to give it a go!
After watching news reports for the last few days, and seeing the forecast, perhaps your best upgrade mod would be a set of water wings. :eek:

Paul

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom