Traveling with bed pulled out - mattress solution

super doody

Hi All,

Just wondering how many of you travel with the bed pulled? Any issues ?

I'm looking to upgrade to a thicker mattress from the 2'' foam mattress for my non extended cab Eagle. Looks like the only way increase the thickness of the mattress that allows the roof to be closed is going with a 4'' foam mattress and either

1. Leaving the bed pulled out after the front is lowered
2. Pushing in the bed and storing the second mattress some where. The dimension of the second half is 38'' X 65'' so it takes up a of room.

Those with Eagles with extended cabover beds (which I think is standard now), what's the length bed, when its pushed in all the way?

I might go with simular arrangement with a larger dimension mattress that stays in the cabover area and store the smaller mattress below. This would also eliminated the gap/height difference right around the hip area for me.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

After I figure out the dimension, I'm going to head to this place to try out some mattresses: http://www.foamorder...t-mattress.html

Jim

Hey Jim,

I'm about to try the "store the pad" somewhere method, as I had two pads made for my Ranger (none came with the camper) that were 2" and I bottomed out. So I ordered another 1" pad and managed to tuck it into the same cover as the 2"; so now I'm much more comfortable. But, as you know, the roof won't close. So rather than fight lowering the roof with the pull out in the way, I'm going to lay the other pad across the ice chest and my wider benches. Certainly not as handy as the original design but way better for these old bones.

On Tuesday I'm departing on a 3 mo. trip out west (I live in Baton Rouge) to photograph and see family and friends. I spent 6 mo. restoring the Ranger, but so far there has been no time to write it up and share pictures. Maybe I can do it from the road.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi All,

Just wondering how many of you travel with the bed pulled? Any issues ?

I'm looking to upgrade to a thicker mattress from the 2'' foam mattress for my non extended cab Eagle. Looks like the only way increase the thickness of the mattress that allows the roof to be closed is going with a 4'' foam mattress and either

1. Leaving the bed pulled out after the front is lowered
2. Pushing in the bed and storing the second mattress some where. The dimension of the second half is 38'' X 65'' so it takes up a of room.

Those with Eagles with extended cabover beds (which I think is standard now), what's the length bed, when its pushed in all the way?

I might go with simular arrangement with a larger dimension mattress that stays in the cabover area and store the smaller mattress below. This would also eliminated the gap/height difference right around the hip area for me.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

After I figure out the dimension, I'm going to head to this place to try out some mattresses: http://www.foamorder...t-mattress.html

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• DSC00004 (3) copy.jpg
    DSC00004 (3) copy.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 281
A few years ago someone posted about leaving the bed extended while driving. They had incandescent bulbs in the light fixture. The light was turned off but the main power switch to the camper was on. During the drive the open bed turned the light on. The heat caused a fire. So if you leave your bed open be sure to be running LEDs in the forward fixture, leave the main power switch off while driving, or both.

Hi Jim,

The problem with your mattress is not the thickness, it's the TYPE of foam FWC uses - Polyurethane is standard in "LOW" quality furniture, has NO bounce-back, NO contour to the sleeper. Like sleeping on the floor.

Go to an upholstery shop and have them replace the large bed section and two of the smaller sections with "Nymbus Q41" Foam. This is a high density foam that contours to the sleeper, features High bounce-back. Stick with the stock thickness which I believe is 4". Like sleeping on my mattress at home. Replacing the foam in 3 of the 5 sections of the bed on the Eagle will keep the cost down as the bottom two sections are only carrying your weight from your calves to your feet.

Hi Jim,

I have traveled for many years with the bed pulled out- I use a queen size "hide-a-bed" innerspring mattress that I put in just after getting my 96 Hawk. The mattress is designed to fold (when the top is up)4" thick and works perfectly- great nights sleep.

bedweb1.jpg

picture with it it the camping position. store stuff on top.

Thanks Tom

Hi Jim,

The problem with your mattress is not the thickness, it's the TYPE of foam FWC uses - Polyurethane is standard in "LOW" quality furniture, has NO bounce-back, NO contour to the sleeper. Like sleeping on the floor.

Go to an upholstery shop and have them replace the large bed section and two of the smaller sections with "Nymbus Q41" Foam. This is a high density foam that contours to the sleeper, features High bounce-back. Stick with the stock thickness which I believe is 4". Like sleeping on my mattress at home. Replacing the foam in 3 of the 5 sections of the bed on the Eagle will keep the cost down as the bottom two sections are only carrying your weight from your calves to your feet.

Hi Jim,

I read your mattress upgrade post many times. I'm trying to find a local upholstery shop. Foamorder.com is close to me but their prices seem pretty high.

My 2007 Eagle has non extend cabover. The mattress is actually in two pieces in equal proportions. The thickness total of the two mattress is 4'' so 2'' each in thickness. Good things I can store both pieces on the bed with no obstructions to the roof when its collapsed but bad thing is that its extremely uncomfortable.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I read your mattress upgrade post many times. I'm trying to find a local upholstery shop. Foamorder.com is close to me but their prices seem pretty high.

My 2007 Eagle has non extend cabover. The mattress is actually in two pieces in equal proportions. The thickness total of the two mattress is 4'' so 2'' each in thickness. Good things I can store both pieces on the bed with no obstructions to the roof when its collapsed but bad thing is that its extremely uncomfortable.

Jim

Oh, sorry I didn't realize the 07 Eagle has two 2" mattresses not one 4"....Hmm. My Eagle has the extended bed The fore/aft measurement is 48" on the large section. The 4 smaller sections are 15". I use two of the smaller sections on my couch as back rests. The upholstery shop I found re-covers household furniture.

Tom has a great idea with the hide-a-bed mattress which may also be cheaper then my solution.

Oh, sorry I didn't realize the 07 Eagle has two 2" mattresses not one 4"....Hmm. My Eagle has the extended bed The fore/aft measurement is 48" on the large section. The 4 smaller sections are 15". I use two of the smaller sections on my couch as back rests. The upholstery shop I found re-covers household furniture.

Tom has a great idea with the hide-a-bed mattress which may also be cheaper then my solution.

And when the bed is pulled out it. the ceiling lights rest on the mattress. I don't know if these two surfaces rub together when traveling down bad roads and I also would worry about the lights coming on and starting a fire so I don't leave it out. My shell model doesn't use the roll-over couch so I have more room to carry the cushions.

I replaced my 2" foam with a high density foam from buyfoam.com. Good product at a good price. I feel pretty comfortable now on the 2" foam.

We have a 05 Hawk and used foamorder.com to the replace the standard FWC mattresses. They were custom made and did cost a lot. We do travel with the bed extended and stack the mattresses while we are at camp.
The draw back, it was much more difficult to raise and lower the top, the soloution was to add the lift assist shocks to the front and rear of the FWC and now things are good.
Did cost a lot!

I replaced my 2" foam with a high density foam from buyfoam.com. Good product at a good price. I feel pretty comfortable now on the 2" foam.

Riz,

What type of foam did you get from them; medium, firm, or extra firm?

Thanks!
-Rick

I've ordered foam from here in the past, great pricing and free shipping over $75...

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

We have a 05 Hawk and used foamorder.com to the replace the standard FWC mattresses. They were custom made and did cost a lot. We do travel with the bed extended and stack the mattresses while we are at camp.
The draw back, it was much more difficult to raise and lower the top, the soloution was to add the lift assist shocks to the front and rear of the FWC and now things are good.
Did cost a lot!

Firemen, what density foam did you order and how thick? Thanks.

For my build I'm contemplating 3" of LUX HQ firm foam with a 1.5" of eggcrate HD36 medium firmness foam over top from the link I posted above. Or maybe 2" of the firm and 2.5" of the egg crate. Basically thinking having a firm lower layer will prevent bottom out of the hips and such while the upper layer will cushion the body some but still be somewhat resilient since there isn't a huge thickness to work with here. Those combos would run about $140 and qualify for free shipping.

I used 4" LUX for the mattress extensions in my current FWC, its firm, definitely no bottom out. But at the same time a bit sore on the hips since so firm, thus my consideration for dual layers and also egg crate (but in a firmer foam that the super soft egg crate you get at the store) to hopefully cradled the body a bit more.

For my build I'm contemplating 3" of LUX HQ firm foam with a 1.5" of eggcrate HD36 medium firmness foam over top from the link I posted above. Or maybe 2" of the firm and 2.5" of the egg crate. Basically thinking having a firm lower layer will prevent bottom out of the hips and such while the upper layer will cushion the body some but still be somewhat resilient since there isn't a huge thickness to work with here. Those combos would run about $140 and qualify for free shipping.

I used 4" LUX for the mattress extensions in my current FWC, its firm, definitely no bottom out. But at the same time a bit sore on the hips since so firm, thus my consideration for dual layers and also egg crate (but in a firmer foam that the super soft egg crate you get at the store) to hopefully cradled the body a bit more.

Hey Pods,

I read your king bed mod. Where did get your mattress covers?

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Pods,

I read your king bed mod. Where did get your mattress covers?

Thanks,

Jim

Found a good deal for sunbrella fabric on Ebay, drop shipped it to the MIL who is great on the sewing machine and mailed her a bunch of fresh roasted Seattle coffee. ;)

I have a mid 90's Ranger II (same as the Eagle NE) and I just a 3" XL Alps pad on top of the original 2" foam pads. I tried the 4" Alps pad as well, but couldn't tell any difference over the 3" Alps. You can take out and use them other places as well.

CWD

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Comfort-Series-Air/dp/B000MNBLXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361693795&sr=8-1&keywords=ALPS+Mountaineering+Comfort+Series+Air+Pad

Back
Top Bottom