Tree Sap Removal?

brett13

Lovecock
Well, it was only the 5th night in the camper since new and voila, some pine sap fell off a tree and landed on the mesh screen of the window (I can only guess the wind was just perfect to do that!) I hadn't noticed it and subsequently closed it all up that way. When I opened it, the sap had smeared onto the clear plastic window too. Anyone have the magic formula for removing this offense from my violated and delicate camper window/screen?

I first thought of the stand by..fingernail polish remover..but that will MELT PLASTIC....

How about WD-40. Will it muck up the window? It will remove tar and pitch. You can use soap and water after and then use 303 protectant after.

Maybe somebody else can chime in.

Good luck

Pine Tar Removal

brett13.

I can back up Sam and pvstoy. WD-40 will do the job great and will not mess up or mar anything.

I first used it many years when the second day out with my brand new convertible I made the mistake of parking under some pine tress. I thought the new top was ruined. Some old timer suggested WD to me. I've used it a hundred times since for the same thing.
You may have go over an area a few times, the WD needs to meltthe goop. Persevere, it will work! On a flat surface, if you let the WD stand for a while before rubbing, the goop will soften and come off easier.

Coop

Thanks guys. I assume the WD40 oil/chemical smell will dissipate over time or with a good washing? I really hate smelling fumes for long.

WD40 does leave a film behind but if you use soap & water you can wash it off, also Simple Green works well to remove the left over WD40. If you are very sensetive to smells/chemicals maybe try some of that orange hand cleaner instead of the WD40?

I've had good luck removing pine pitch with waterless hand soap. Works like a charm.

Just tried some hand sanitizer (generic purell) and it worked instantly. No smells or residues either. Active ingredient is really alcohol, so I'm sure that would work well too. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom