Tricking out my Hawk

Gormley Green

Contributors
Well it's finally time to install some things I've acquired over the past several months.

Day 1:

1) Replace old FWC installed FloJet that wouldn't prime with FWC supplied ShurFlow. The new pump is quieter and seems to work much better although it's only been driveway tested. Installation was brutal. Very very tight in there and I wouldnt want to do it again !! Took about an hour and very sore fingers and much aggravation!

smugshot9312448-M.jpg

2) Replace stock plastic FWC faucet - didn't have enough height to wash dishes or fill a kettle without some interesting angles. New faucet has a sprayer which I think we'll like for dishes or maybe a quick head wash :D

Installation was pretty easy, I used the existing cutout in the counter and had to drill a 1/2" hole for the sprayer. I mounted off centre to achieve an easier installation, but I think it looks good and it functions very well. The plumbing was right in place (I only have cold water) and screwed right onto the new faucet. I siliconed around the unit and it was all done in about 20 minutes.

smugshot6708054-M.jpg

Day 2:

3) Finally the fridge! An Engel SB70F 12V unit I ordered to a marine store in Vancouver. I've had this sitting in the shop for way too long!

First step (open tasty IPA), take out ice box and expose nice FWC pre-wiring which makes this job quite easy. I was able to leave in the left and right side insulation. I had to cut the right side flange by 1" to fit the fridge. It fit like a glove afterwards.

smugshot2921886-M.jpg

Next step was to install a vent on the fridge hole / upper drawer separator. I was thinking of installing a switched or thermally controlled fan here (the Hawk is pre-wired for a fan) but haven't made my mind up. It will be an easy mod should I deem it necessary later. The fridge has its own thermally controlled fan so for now I will see how my ventilation works.

smugshot219134-M.jpg

I also installed a wood floor vent on the side of my fridge/drawer unit to complete the ventilation. Again, time will tell if this is adequate for the fridge. I think it looks pretty slick.

smugshot4517447-M.jpg

And the finished product! Ready for food, and beers. Also - why is the drawer so small above the fridge FWC?? It could be HUGE! One day...

smugshot8956132-M.jpg

Next up, solar. Stay tuned - should be done by Monday.

Nice job Mr.Green. I think I asked that question before about the little drawer,in another of your threads. Seems like FWC could use that space for a larger drawer. I am sure you will take care of it at some later time. Your install looks great. Thats one of the nice things about our rigs,we can customize them to our liking.
Enjoy the new mods.
Frank

Your improvements are looking good.

Is the small size of the drawer above the fridge to allow air flow for cooling? Or something to do with the install of a 3-way fridge?

Your improvements are looking good.

Is the small size of the drawer above the fridge to allow air flow for cooling? Or something to do with the install of a 3-way fridge?

I can't see why, as I had to install a vent on the 'floor' below the drawer anyways. I imagine with a bigger fridge (like MarkBC's) you'd remove that divider and drawer altogether. So in stock configuration (ice box or small fridge) I see no reason for the small drawer.

And thanks everyone for the compliments, they're appreciated. I'd hope I can give back some ideas as I've taken so many from here! Solar soon...

Looks great GG, I especially like the faucet mod, would love a sprayer for our Hawk.

Looks great GG, I especially like the faucet mod, would love a sprayer for our Hawk.

It was a very easy mod and $75 at Home Depot.

It was a very easy mod and $75 at Home Depot.

:LOL:Neat-like that dish soap holder behind the fac., and the vents-looking forward to progress reports!

Smoke

I also like the faucet. Got a brand / model number for it?

Upgrades and ideas never end....

~DR

It may just be available in Canada under this brand name as its a Chinese product likely made under many names - but it is a 'Glacier Bay 3000 Series Kitchen Faucet with Side Spray'. As I said it was about $75 at Home Depot. Good enough for the camper for sure.

Thanks GG ... I will have one in my hot little hands tomorrow!

Modding the camper you haven't picked up yet?? I like your style.

Modding the camper you haven't picked up yet?? I like your style.

Lol! .... and its killing me! I have to live vicariously through WTW.

Between a massive mtn bike ride and a burger and beers at the local brew pub, I almost hadn't the time today to get this done. But I checked the forecast while enjoying my second pint and decided the solar needed to get done today.

I didn't get too many pics as the 2 IPA's were making this install, and standing on a 6' ladder, difficult enough.

SunSaver MPPT went in the battery compartment. It has about 6" top and bottom, as required. Perhaps not ideal ventilation but it's easy enough to move should it prove a problem. I wired an inline fuse on the positive to battery and have a 15A in there.

smugshot9902-M.jpg

SunSaver Remote Monitor went in the 'tech center' :LOL: Still (despite the limited instruction manual) haven't figured out what it tells me other than sun volts, batt volts, and temp. The arrow keys during battery setting elude me. Is it amps being drawn, or how many have been drawn since resetting? Also how many volts can I get on a sunny day? I had over 17 under the 6pm sun in Squamish.

Best part: I bought a corded 8amp Milwaukee drill and 3" hole saw bit for this job! :D Any excuse for new tools. especially good ones.

smugshot1647262-M.jpg

Finally the panel goes on the roof using four Z brackets from solar blvd. They seem very strong. I drilled small pilots and used lots of silicone and #10 3/4" stainless self tappers. My Hawk was pre-wired for solar. I had to remove the wood panel on the ceiling you would use to push up the front of the roof to find the wires. This was an easy place to drill a hole in the roof skin of the camper, pull the panel wires through, use butt connectors, silicone the hole, and open another beer.

smugshot3102570-M.jpg

I'm off the grid now! Sun chilled beers and I owe all of this to WTW. No way I would have tackled this without all the help from everyone on this site.

Meters are nice but I haven't figured out why i really need one. Nice install. Prewired, wish mine was /sigh.

Ran the fridge all night, it's 7:40am, very sunny, and I'm back up to a full charge. I think this 120watt panel is going to have no problem keeping up with the Engel, furnace and fluoros. I am happy.

Still have no idea what the remote monitor tells me, mine has a display on the battery info that isn't in the manual!

Ran the fridge all night, it's 7:40am, very sunny, and I'm back up to a full charge. I think this 120watt panel is going to have no problem keeping up with the Engel, furnace and fluoros. I am happy.

Good job!

Back
Top Bottom