Trip Report Maps

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
I've noticed a number of trip reports with a map showing the roads traveled with different colors. I would like to add a map to my trip reports. Can someone share how this is done?

jd

I usually use NatGeo TOPO! software -- unfortunately out of print. But the same thing can be done with Google Maps or other maps software/websites. Most allow you to draw a route -- whether by connecting stops or manually. Then either use some Copy tool or do a screen capture and then paste into image-editing software and crop to desired coverage.

Low tech version:
Obtain color map of area of travel.
Using highlighter pens, laboriously highlight route traveled with color by day of trip
Take photo of completed map, load into your galley and link into your post.

Moderately techier version to reuse map for future trips.
Add clear plastic film over map and use grease pencils in various color to mark route

Update to high tech version when desired. :)

Paul

I prefer Marks version. I used his for one of my trips to Or and NV. It was extremely useful. I was just thinking how I'd like to repeat that trip now that I'm working 7 days a week.

craig333 said:
I prefer Marks version. I used his for one of my trips to Or and NV. It was extremely useful. I was just thinking how I'd like to repeat that trip now that I'm working 7 days a week.
Thanks, Craig. :)
This one? Created using TOPO!

Craigs_CA-OR-NV_Route.jpg

Thats the one. Next up (more than a weekend) is either Great Basin or up by Jarbridge, but the Ski's have me tempted to head back to DV. One of the great things living out west. We have lots of options.

Back
Top Bottom