Trouble Lowering Roof

wsswesty

I’m a 72 yr old member and just recently bought a 1987 Fleet. It has a rear lift but no front lift in the roof. I installed two struts today in the front of the camper to help alleviate some of the stress in raising and lowering the roof, but now my wife and I can’t get the front of the camper down. The struts are 30 lbs and we’re purchased at FWC. I think I’ve read most of the posts dealing with raising the roof but, I can’t find anything on lowering. I do plan to get a speaker stand to help raise the roof Does any body have any tips or tricks on lowering the front with struts and no lift boards? Thank you.

No lift boards? I don't understand that comment.

As for lowering, either make sure the back door is wide open, or close it and turn the fan(s) on blowing the air OUT. This will help to suck down the roof and also help tuck in the soft top material.

First welcome to the cult.
Why doesn't your camper have a front lift panel?
How does the top stay up without a lift panel?

I have 40# struts on my ATC Bobcat and when I lower the roof I close
the door and any windows open,then turn on the fan ,make
sure it's in the exhaust setting.This helps pull down the roof and pulls
in the side liner.
This has worked very well for us 80 year olds.
Frank

Are you refering to the lift panels that scissor up and hold the top up, or are you refering to the 4' 1 x 4 (aproximate)
piece of wood that is used to push the lift panels up and pull them inward to collapse the top down? Perhaps the hinge that attaches that board to the lift panels is broken and that board is missing. If that is what it is, you should be able to get one (with the hinge from FWC.

camper rich said:
Are you refering to the lift panels that scissor up and hold the top up, or are you refering to the 4' 1 x 4 (aproximate)
piece of wood that is used to push the lift panels up and pull them inward to collapse the top down? Perhaps the hinge that attaches that board to the lift panels is broken and that board is missing. If that is what it is, you should be able to get one (with the hinge from FWC.
I didn't pay attention to what year your Fleet was. An '87 probably never had a board to push the front lift panel up, but, like my '98 Ranger II, had a 3/8" aluminum rod attached to the lift panel on both sides of the aluminum brace that stiffens the lift panel. If you look at some FWC videos about how to raise and lower the top, you might get an idea to update your old camper.

I meant to say lift panel instead of lift boards. Thanks everyone for your comments!

A picture is worth a thousand words (or at least 2 in this case). A photo will clear up any confusion and yield an accurate solution quicker.

You can make your own lift panel though its a lot of work. Some good posts on how to do it here. I'd go to ATC myself but they're local for me.

wsswesty said:
I’m a 72 yr old member and just recently bought a 1987 Fleet. It has a rear lift but no front lift in the roof. I installed two struts today in the front of the camper to help alleviate some of the stress in raising and lowering the roof, but now my wife and I can’t get the front of the camper down. The struts are 30 lbs and we’re purchased at FWC. I think I’ve read most of the posts dealing with raising the roof but, I can’t find anything on lowering. I do plan to get a speaker stand to help raise the roof Does any body have any tips or tricks on lowering the front with struts and no lift boards? Thank you.
Perhaps it is just the two 30 pound struts are too strong for the roof to lower all the way down by it's self? Since you have mentioned no issues before installing them.

The weight of the camper top by itself is usually enough to lower it. You do have the door open when lowering the top, correct?

Were you able to lower it prior to installing the struts? If so, remove the front struts so you can lower it and definitely get the speaker stand for raising it. Meanwhile, the suggestion of using the fan does help.

And as may already been mentioned, if you have the maneuverability to orient the front of the vehicle 'into' the wind, you'll likely find that the roof will lower in a somewhat better fashion.
Rico.

camper rich said:
I didn't pay attention to what year your Fleet was. An '87 probably never had a board to push the front lift panel up, but, like my '98 Ranger II, had a 3/8" aluminum rod attached to the lift panel on both sides of the aluminum brace that stiffens the lift panel. If you look at some FWC videos about how to raise and lower the top, you might get an idea to update your old camper.
If I understand the issue correctly, Camper Rich is correct about what is causing the problem. ATC still uses this style of push/pull for the front lift panels. I can take a photo of my Cougar lift panels if that would help.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I think I need to order a lift panel.

When I got my exterior roof struts installed by the factory in 2018 (camper was 17 years old at time of install) the roof was difficult to lower. Especially in the sun when the struts get warm. It took about 10 camping trips, but the struts finally got "broken -in" and feel normal. 30-pound struts on the front. They were just stiff when brand new. The fan trick works if you have a fan in the ceiling. Some campers don't.

Here is are the Cougar lift boards and push pull rod.

556C4B61-B269-4692-AEFA-B9EAFFFEAEA0.jpeg

I replaced that wire bar with a piece of plywood cut to size. At the board end I cut a piece of piano hinge the length of the aluminum “frame” that you see in the pics above. Can’t find the pictures at the moment. The wood push bar allows for way more lifting pressure to be put on the roof when raising. That matters to me when my canoe is up top!

I kept the "wire" pull on my Bobcat.I added a framed screen to
it to have a nice storage shelf for books,glasses,flashlight,things you might during the night.

It has been a nice add on.
Frank

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom