Trout1 Gets a New Backpack

Trout1 Project

Advanced Member
After a tragic demise to my Palamino SS800 on a trip to MT, where the pop-up roof flew off, it is time to find Trout1 a new camper for her bed.
IMG_20170724_193115.jpg

I have been looking at FWC, AT and Outfitter very hard and the decision came clear to me when I started contacting the manufacturers in person. So I am currently in route to Denver to pick up my new Outfitter Caribou 6.5.

I will share pics and my experience once I get to the shop. But so far Outfitter has been beyond accommodating. I had a rushed build time because I need the camper for a work detail in Eastern OR at the end of next week. They dialed me in and I am super excited that Trout1 will have a new friend to tote around.

Congrats on your new camper! We are looking forward to photos and your critique!

It sure is fun to get excited!

I have searched that camper a few times over the past years.
Has a lot of nice standard features and very few options needed.
Congrats on the camper.
Looking forward to some pictures.
Frank

PS Welcome to the group

With the standard queen mattress that came with the camera i could not fit my memory foam topper. So I replaced it with 3 inch foam, added the topper and now I can close the roof and leave the bed madeIMG_20170814_115429.jpg

The more I personalize my Caribou, the more impressed i am with the workmanship from Outfitter.

The exterior sidewalls are sealed nicely and I have yet to find a studder gap in the trim caulking. I like it that the sink drain is on the underside of the shell as is the shore power outlet. One item that was on the camper that I did. It order but I am glad its there now, the ladder. I used the fold down steps on the Palomino and they were a bit narrow when climbing in the snow to get the snowboards off the top. I can also use the ladder to strap on my Trasharoo

I had Outfitter add a solar panel and charging system, always a good choice. They also installed Yakima tracks to the roof. The roof is a solid aluminum and fiberglass one piece system that is walkable and will take a snow load. My Palomino was a honeycomb system with joints all over, all of which had the possibility of failure and leaking.

outfitter also added a 4gal not water heater and an outside shower! I have a free sunshower up for grabs now.....takers

The four corner jacks are standard Reico but the brackets are bolted directly through the aluminum framing. Outfitter utilizes these jack brackets for your camper tie down points. Much sturdier then screwing a plate to the underside plywood as my Palomino did.

Installed my single Titan Rod Vault today. I secured it through the wall panel and bolted it together. I used solid round stock HtP plastic with a hole drilled through it to create a standoff from the wall to clear the fridge vent cover
IMG_20170815_174034.jpg

I have spend a couple of nights in the camper so far and I continue to find things I like. For instance, the soft wall is superior. It is the 'thermal' pack and its one peice system is seamlessly attached to the roof and frame skin. My Palomino had a four pannel system zipped together. The issue with it was, there was always a gap at the top and bottom of each zipper, leaving room for cold air or insects. The top of the Palomino also slid into a rail system on the roof and every time I lifted the roof I had to check the seam and slide portions of the softwall back into place.

The Outfitter roof lift system is simple and stout. The lower tortion bar is well secured to the sidewall while the roof attachment points and two slide rails give the roof a solid four points of contact on each side (8 total). This offers the roofs load to be spread over a greater distance. This, and the aluminum frame inside the all fiberglass one peice roof pannel will allow for a significant amount of weight. A great feature that will be well used on the ski hills in winter. The FWCs' lift system only allowed two points of contact, at the front and back, leaving the mid section with little support under load. My only cratique about the roof lift bar is it was left as bare galvanized steel. For ethstetics, I would have liked it to have been powder coated to match the tortion bar it attaches to. I got myself some S Hooks at IKEA and use them to hang pots pans and mugs to the lift bar when it is in the up position, very handy while cooking.

The velcro windows are a breeze to open and close, my last camper had inner and outter zippers on each of it's 6 window pannes. Very time consumint zipping and unzipping, not to mention, the more moving parts you have mean more parts to fail.

Probably my favorite feature to Outfitters' soft weall design is when it lowers. Once you close all the windows, the front vent and door, you open the Fantastic Fan and trun it to High Vent Out. This sucks the sidewall pannels IN as you lower the roof! No need to go around and around the outside tucking in the sidewall pannels. SIMPLY AMAZING

It's been a busy couple of weeks on Amazon and Ebay. The ARB 2500 awning arrived and got installed. Fits perfect.IMG_20170828_173734_kindlephoto-969739.jpg

Due to arrive this weekend are front and rear Iron Cross bumpers and a slew of LED lights. I also got done with all the measurements to get some CNC plate cut for fuel and water can holders. I also got my cut list done to build a low profile roof rack for the Titan to take up space between the cab of the truck and camper cab over. Off to the steel yard after paining the workshop this weekend.

Quick after dinner mod. Took out the factory battery box and was just able to fit in two Trojan T125s to up the amp hours on those extended dry camping trips.IMG_20170829_204506.jpg

Back
Top Bottom