Truck Camper and Using Multi-Pro Tailgate?

SoCalAngler

I am considering a used truck camper. Being as most of my travels will be in the Southwest, I am looking at both hard side and soft sided pop ups.

On occasion, I may take my aluminum fishing in tow when camping. Traveling mainly alone, with passenger or two at times, but not enough to need a large camper.

I would like to use the tailgate as an entry step, as I think it makes for a very nice and secure way of entering/exiting camper when on truck. That means a shorter camper is needed that will allow for tailgate to be closed when camper is installed. Truck bed interior length is 6'-9" if I recall.

Do any of you use a camper and tailgate in the way I describe? If so, what camper model?
Any of you research what campers will allow for tailgate to be closed?

I found a couple that may work....
Cirrus 620
FWC Hawk

Thanks!

I’m pretty sure you’ll find the Hawk just over an inch too long even if you trim the front bumpers to reduce the clearance to the front bed rail to 1/2 inch. The nominal quoted length of the camper doesn’t include the hardware mounted on the rear wall in the area where the tailgate would close. The published bed length for GM HD trucks is the floor level bed length. The distance from the rear of the front bed rail to the inside of the tailgate on a standard bed truck is approximately 80.2 inches.

I went through the same study before taking delivery of my FWC Grandby. That camper is 16 inches longer and the bed of my truck is 16 inches longer.

Jon R, thank for the description on fitment of the Hawk in my rig. That's too bad, as I really wanted to use the Multi Pro tailgate features and its step. Perhaps trying to find a unit that allows me to close the tailgate is too restricting in term of choices. I just hate to lose the tailgate and have to remove/replace each time I use the camper.

SoCalAngler said:
Jon R, thank for the description on fitment of the Hawk in my rig. That's too bad, as I really wanted to use the Multi Pro tailgate features and its step. Perhaps trying to find a unit that allows me to close the tailgate is too restricting in term of choices. I just hate to lose the tailgate and have to remove/replace each time I use the camper.

With a Hawk the entry door is short, and you’ll find that you really don’t want the first step outside the door to be at bed floor/tailgate level because it forces you to bend over a lot more. Having the first step about 10 inches below the bed floor height makes it easier to get in and out with just a tilt of your head.

Taking the tailgate off the first time is difficult because the driver side hinge is very tight. After the first time it is relatively easy. It does take two people, though, because the tailgate is too large to get your arms around and it weighs 75 lbs. I suggest making a crate to store it in unless you have a safe spot to lay it flat. You will want to get a camera to put on the back of the camper to replace the tailgate camper if you go this route.

Attachments

• 1FB837EE-36E5-4E45-84D9-3EC855C37D46.jpeg
    1FB837EE-36E5-4E45-84D9-3EC855C37D46.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 62
  • EF648805-BB13-4347-8D98-E731E47CC047.jpeg
    EF648805-BB13-4347-8D98-E731E47CC047.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 5FAC352A-3CF0-4B89-9108-D7296183A26A.jpeg
    5FAC352A-3CF0-4B89-9108-D7296183A26A.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 56
With a Hawk the entry door is short, and you’ll find that you really don’t want the first step outside the door to be at bed floor/tailgate level because it forces you to bend over a lot more. Having the first step about 10 inches below the bed floor height makes it easier to get in and out with just a tilt of your head.

Taking the tailgate off the first time is difficult because the driver side hinge is very tight. After the first time it is relatively easy. It does take two people, though, because the tailgate is too large to get your arms around and it weighs 75 lbs. I suggest making a crate to store it in unless you have a safe spot to lay it flat. You will want to get a camera to put on the back of the camper to replace the tailgate camper if you go this route.
Jon, thanks for the detailed info and pics, much appreciated! Since my trips are 1-2 weeks long, and plans are 3-4 trips per year, I wonder if the hassle of removing the tailgate is worth it...ex. What does the Hawk pop up offer me over the Cirrus 620 (tailgate fits inside bed allowing tailgate to be closed). Cirrus is a shorter floor, but I guess all these campers vary in the sacrifices one must make. Cirrus does have a cassette toilet which I like. Decisions!!

Jon, thanks for the detailed info and pics, much appreciated! Since my trips are 1-2 weeks long, and plans are 3-4 trips per year, I wonder if the hassle of removing the tailgate is worth it...ex. What does the Hawk pop up offer me over the Cirrus 620 (tailgate fits inside bed allowing tailgate to be closed). Cirrus is a shorter floor, but I guess all these campers vary in the sacrifices one must make. Cirrus does have a cassette toilet which I like. Decisions!!
After having the camper a few years now, my routine is to put the tailgate back on when I put the camper away from late October to March, but the rest of the year if I pull the camper off for a few weeks for some reason I only install the tailgate if I really want it on. I drive quite a bit with no camper and no tailgate.

It sounds to me like the biggest decision you are still working on (or should be focusing on) right now is whether you want a hard sided camper or a pop-up. Each has advantages and disadvantages. That’s a big decision that should be made based on far more than whether the tailgate can remain installed.

After having the camper a few years now, my routine is to put the tailgate back on when I put the camper away from late October to March, but the rest of the year if I pull the camper off for a few weeks for some reason I only install the tailgate if I really want it on. I drive quite a bit with no camper and no tailgate.

It sounds to me like the biggest decision you are still working on (or should be focusing on) right now is whether you want a hard sided camper or a pop-up. Each has advantages and disadvantages. That’s a big decision that should be made based on far more than whether the tailgate can remain installed.
Well, I thought long and hard about this....

The Cirrus 620 checks most boxes for me!

1. For me, I do not want to R&R the tailgate several times during the year. It takes two people to do this. I will not leave the camper on after my trips (ex. 2-3 day trips up to 2-3 weeks)

2. I do not want to store the tailgate and create a potential for damage.

3. I want to utilize the Multi-Pro tailgate.

4. No need for T-buckles and frame mounts. Cirrus uses ratchet straps to my inner bed tie down points

5. Camper is Ready to use for quick restroom stops, lunches, driving breaks, etc.

6. Improved heating and AC.

For me...the tailgate R&R was just too much for me to deal with for campers longer than 80" on floor length. I prefer not to use truck/camper with tailgate in down position.

For a hard-sided option, the Cirrus 620 is a really nice camper. I actually had a deposit on one. Was very excited until I realized that I could not fit it into my (only option) parking slot next to my house. It was too tall and would not clear the roof line of my house. I had carefully and repeatedly measured the length and width of the slot, but because I had only viewed the Cirrus off of a truck, the height had not fully factored into my thinking. Slot was too narrow to avoid the roof. Sadly, I had to back-out of the Cirrus (the dealer was kind and accommodating). Happily, I wound up ordering an ATC pop-up that will be ready soon. Height may not be an issue for your situation, but it was a rude awakening for moi.

The clear advantages of the hard-side are as you mention, quick and easy to enter/exit. Cirrus 620 was a fantastic design, loved the lay-out, very nice ambient light, presumably fewer issues with leaking or condensation compared to a pop-up. I cannot speak to the fitment with the multi-pro tailgate, but given that the Cirrus has a full-sized door, I would think it would work to leave the tailgate on assuming the truck bed length is adequate. Good luck with whichever way you choose to go.

I had a Northern Lite 8.11 SE for 5 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, it got to be a real pain to put it on, take it off every time we wanted to go camping.
So, On September 5th I will be picking up my new FWC Hawk and could not be more excited to get it. My plan is to leave it on my F350 full time and not take it off. I want to be ready at a moments notice to take off and go camping/hunting/fishing etc. without having the production of loading the camper and then unloading it all the time. My truck is my daily driver so I did not want the Northern Lite on the truck full time.
Definitely advantages and disadvantages to each but for my style of use, the lower profile, more stealthy, go anywhere FWC pop up checks the boxes for me.

Back
Top Bottom