truck/camper cover?

DonC

Does anyone use a cover for their truck/camper when not in use? Until recently I used mine as a daily driver, but no longer. It would be great to get a cover to help keep it clean and keep the heat/UV from beating it up while parked/stored outside in southern Calif.

I found this and some places make custom covers, just wondered if they were worth the expense and hassle.

http://www.nationaldiscountcovers.com/s/truck-camper-covers.html

I would want to find something that covered the truck and the camper.

I think having the rig covered is a good idea if it works for you. Mt prior camper wouldn't fit in the garage, and saw some sun fading on the south side as a result of extra sun exposure. Plus it was a major chore cleaning it. Like two days of chore.

I am 'lucky' in that I can pull mine into the garage while on the truck. That is one major reason I returned to a FWC after 7 years of using a hard side. I can't imagine that a fabric cover would be all that convenient to use, having had one for my old FJ40. I ended up rarely using it since it wasn't easy to place/remove it without damaging it.

I just washed and waxed my truck/camper and the use of a ladder etc. made me glad that I wasn't needing to use a fabric cover before/after every trip. I drive the truck weekly, camping or not, since I believe it is not a good thing to leave a diesel unused for extended periods. Something would give, either the maintenance drives or the cover, if I had to use a fabric cover.

There are loads of these covers for sale on Ebay also. Just search for "truck camper cover"

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I have used just a tarp on the truck and one on the camper. This seems to work as the camper tarp has openings cut in the tarp so the solar panels aren't covered.
My camper is always on the truck. The tarps work well to keep all the tree and weather junk off my rig.
They are easy to remove and keep it pretty clean.
Frank

This company: http://www.calmarkcovers.com/camper-shell-covers/

offers covers for the truck and camper. It's not obvious from the website, but if you download the measurement pdf you'll see the option.

I know nothing about the quality of the covers but have been looking at them for some time. I've used covers on my cars in teh past and agree that they can be a PITA to put on and take off. I guess if you didn't have to do it too often it would be OK.

I use a cover on my boat. There is a huge difference in how long they last depending on which fabric they are made of. The sun likes to eat up covers. Also around here anything with a cover on it will get some mold on the cover and underneath. Lot's of rain and humidity. It goes with the territory. But it does keep the sun from tearing stuff up that's covered. Nothing is perfect.

I may get a camper cover eventually. To many things needed before that though. I just tarped it last winter.

I used a 20' x 16' heavy duty gray tarp for 2 years before it wore out. I now have a 16' x 12' heavy duty gray tarp. I place 4' x 7' pieces of 90-mil Firestone fleece back single ply to cover the roof extending out on all sides and holding the tarp in place with bungee cords. The bungees attach to 10' brackets held in place with the legs and
wood camper stand. West exposure almost completely covered.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Back
Top Bottom