Truck camper tie-downs (non-FWC)

Foy

Resident Geologist
Gents,

As previously noted, I'd picked up a 20 year-old Palomino Model 186 for a song back in October. Listed dry weight is 935 lbs. It has the external steel tabs for turnbuckle attachment on all 4 corners.

I'm generally aware that the FWCs and similar units attach to the truck via eyebolts backed with backing plates beneath the truck's bed, but it's not clear that I can readily mount the Palomino onto my truck in that way. I do realize the Happijac style of TC tie-downs employ a "thru-bed" system. I'm not exactly crazy about having to remove the factory OEM bedliner and not crazy about drilling through my bed and relying on backing plates, for that matter. Ditto a reluctance to drill the rear bumper to install "buttons" for rear turnbuckles.

For what it's worth, I don't expect to be doing any "rock crawling" style off-road driving with the Palomino mounted up. Given the length and weight of the truck (2002 F350 SRW diesel crewcab longbed), with the Palomino mounted and some gear, fluids, and people, I'll be right at my 9,900 lb GVWR to begin with. Not exactly ideal for knarly off-road use, but realizing that ahead of time was a big factor in the decision to purchase an inexpensive used wood-framed pop-up.

So, the Tork Lift style tie-downs look to be around $550 including shipping and are fully "no drill"(P/N F2011 front, F3001 rear, 4 basic springload turnbuckles). While this cost makes me swallow with difficulty, I don't know what else to consider if I'm serious about not drilling the bed, the frame rails, pulling the bedliner, etc.

Any thoughts or criticism appreciated. I'm willing to listen to testimony concerning "through-bed" installation, too, provided it's fairly simple to mount-dismount the TC. I use the truck regularly as a part-time daily driver and weekend "honey-do" tool, so popping the TC on and off several times yearly will be required.

Foy

I have the Happijac system that I use to mount my Grandby on the outside of the bed. That and the Torklikt are the only two hard mount systems currently in production that I know of.

Another system in production is the Brophy system. It's not as popular as in the past but does work. The Super Heavy Duty is what I used with my old Caveman Camper years ago.

http://www.crbrophy.com/tdhd.html

Something to consider....

I have the Happijac system that I use to mount my Grandby on the outside of the bed. That and the Torklikt are the only two hard mount systems currently in production that I know of.

Another system in production is the Brophy system. It's not as popular as in the past but does work. The Super Heavy Duty is what I used with my old Caveman Camper years ago.

http://www.crbrophy.com/tdhd.html

Something to consider....

Well, Hush My Mouth (as my grandmother used to say when advised of something stupendous). I have been noodling around with this kind of thing for years and never once recall coming across the Brophy stake pocket tie downs. As light and short (the Palomino is an 8' TC, 935 lbs) as my camper is, it seems as though something lighter would be OK for my tie-down system. Perhaps a Tork Lift front and Brophy stake-pocket rears, a set-up which will allow me to do some changes with the rear receiver hitch. I have a tandem-axle car hauler trailer which fully loaded exceeds the 5,000 lb rating of my OEM receiver hitch. I'm pondering a Superhitch high capacity unit to accomodate a longer TC w/extended drawbar as well as the car hauler with a standard length drawbar.

Many thanks, LuckyDan!

Foy

Well, Hush My Mouth (as my grandmother used to say when advised of something stupendous). I have been noodling around with this kind of thing for years and never once recall coming across the Brophy stake pocket tie downs. As light and short (the Palomino is an 8' TC, 935 lbs) as my camper is, it seems as though something lighter would be OK for my tie-down system. Perhaps a Tork Lift front and Brophy stake-pocket rears, a set-up which will allow me to do some changes with the rear receiver hitch. I have a tandem-axle car hauler trailer which fully loaded exceeds the 5,000 lb rating of my OEM receiver hitch. I'm pondering a Superhitch high capacity unit to accomodate a longer TC w/extended drawbar as well as the car hauler with a standard length drawbar.

Many thanks, LuckyDan!

Foy

Check the tongue weight of your car hauler when loaded...all of the extensions have tongue weight limits. Where the pulling capacity of the truck/trailer may be fine...the tongue weight of the loaded trailer sometimes far exceeds the capability of the stinger extension...big problems. I regularly tow a heavy aluminum boat which has a tongue weight of 310#...calced out, the solid core stinger I built at 30" had a capability of 350-375#....close. The car hauler will vary radically with the rolling stock movement forward when loading which throws you into some serious weight and balance issues regarding tongue weight.....(ex USMC KC-130f loadmaster)

I've used Tork Lift tie-downs on my previous 2006 Tacoma/Phoenix Camper combo and on my current Ford F250/Northstar combo. They are rock solid and well worth the money. Easy to install and securely mounts your camper to the truck frame. No modifications necessary for the truck or camper. Also gives you tie-down points when hauling cargo when the camper is off the truck.

I use a combo of the Brophy's in the rear and turnbuckles with eyebolts in the bed up front. After hitting a submerged stair-step in Cottonwood Wash in Utah I'm not too impressed with the stake pocket option. Both pockets are now slightly tweaked and the DS Brophy mount is visibly bent. My 4" x 6" load distribution plates seem to have been big enough as the bed floor is undisturbed.

I've drilled the rear bumper for the buttons and have installed them. What I haven't decided on is whether to get a spring loaded turnbuckle of some sort, or have cable extensions made and use the rigid turnbuckles that I have now. I need to get the planned structural "running boards" built as I plan to tie into those up front.

Back
Top Bottom