Truck for approximately 20k

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

Starting to save and shop for a new tow rig. I got my Northstar pop up, so I don't have to sleep on the ground any more. So the 2001 1500 Suburban we currently use to tow our 1998 Malibu Response (single axle trailer) is on the way out. I am thinking I want to stay about 2010 to 2013-ish, for price. I want to keep the price somewhere close to 20k. Or at least low 20's. Even with that, will probably finance about half. I want 250/2500 level for carrying the weight of the truck camper, and pulling the boat, over a high pass we cross to get to the lakes, and to properly support the tongue weight and camper. Open to all three brands. Open to either fuel. Of course it will likely be a vehicle from one of the big 3. and I do want a crew cab or at least a good sized extended cap suitable for teens, and an 8 ft. bed. It will be a big truck, but I live in Idaho, so that is ok. Oh, and I will try for leather, but it at least has to have a power driver's seat with good adjustability and lumbar support even if cloth.

Please give me your thoughts as to brand, years to look for, which motor/fuel, etc. Thanks!

If you want to carry your camper and tow your boat with little effort and still get good mileage, get a diesel. You can easily get a 2005-2007 "bulletproofed" 6.0 Ford F-250 for under your budgeted amount. My friend has almost 400k miles on his 2005, and his mechanic told him when the engine and tranny finally go, he can rebuild both for $14k. Find a King Ranch edition for nice leather. My 2005 only has 115k miles and has been extremely reliable other than the "bulletproofing" engine expense. The newer diesel trucks have added maintenance costs with the DEF. The 2011 and up 6.7 liter fords are proving reliable but not the 6.4l that preceded it. I am not familiar with the model year details of the other brands so perhaps others can chime in.

Additionally for reference, my Northstar is supposed to be about 1600 lbs with typical gear according to the manufacturer, and the boat is 2,450 dry, so say 2,700-ish with 15 gal. gas loaded and gear. I carry about 10-15 gal. gas for a day of skiing typically, for better wake characteristics. It can hold more like 28.

Had diesel, went gas. Got my 2012 Ford 6.2 liter F350 dealer certified long bed extended cab XLT with 25,000 miles on the engine for $25,000. Love the truck, handles our Hallmark UTE without a whimper. Been all over out West with it this last summer.

ardvark said:
Had diesel, went gas. Got my 2012 Ford 6.2 liter F350 dealer certified long bed extended cab XLT with 25,000 miles on the engine for $25,000. Love the truck, handles our Hallmark UTE without a whimper. Been all over out West with it this last summer.
For a deal like that, I would try really hard to find a way to swing the extra 5k. Where did you buy the truck?

sunvalleylaw said:
For a deal like that, I would try really hard to find a way to swing the extra 5k. Where did you buy the truck?
I searched online endlessly on the major sites like auto trader and bought it from a dealer in Ohio. It had the camper and plow packages and Fab Four bumpers front and rear. Bumper package alone retailed for nearly $1,500. I always try to buy in bad weather near the end of the month when I know dealers are trying to make their quotas and sales numbers. I don't think it was a particular dealer as much as persistent searching and a willingness to drive 500 miles one way to get it when I knew the lot would be empty due to snow storms and cold, which it was. This is where I bought it http://www.sarchioneford.com/. They were easy to deal with and no pressure, but I don't know them, bought from them just one time, and am not telling anyone they are cheaper. I think it was just a time and place kind of thing.

I found most dealers will negotiate and accept a credit card number to hold a vehicle with the understanding if you see it and don't want it, it costs you nothing. I have bought trucks twice that way. As you likely know, there are currently massive repossessions underway due to sub-prime car loans. Black book prices are way down and that might affect prices on the lot, not sure about that though.

One word, persistence. Stay with it, took me 6+ months to locate a good clean 3/4 ton. Ended up with a 2012 F250 4x4 S/C, 40k miles for $22,000. The deals are out there but be ready to jump when you find it, they don't last long.If your going to finance get preapproved from your bank.

@beach , @ardvark , which websites, search engines, etc. did you find most helpful in your search?

I used carguru and autotrader, but there are a great many comparable sites. you can also search all of Craigslist using SearchTempest setting a search radius that suits you. I also routinely searched local dealer websites. Essentially what you are trying to do is get lucky or perhaps willing to work at it harder than most other folks. I did the same thing when I found the used model Hallmark we wanted without having to drive 1,000+ miles. Most of luck is just the result of a lot of hard work.

Car Guru, True Car,Truck Trader, craigslist, local dealer sites also. Probably a couple more I can't remember.

With the camper weight and towing a boat, I think you'll be glad you "stepped up" and got that 2500/diesel. Nice truck, enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom