Truck for Eagle or Fleet Camper

Paula

Four Wheel says that the Toyota Tacoma or the Nissan Frontier would be appropriate for the Eagle. Would the 4 cylinder be fine? Is the 6 cylinder better?

Well the 6 cylinder is certainly going to be better but I know a few of the members here have gotten by on the four.

Ask yourself what you plan to do with your camper. You can get away with a four cylinder but, your not going to have any performance and dont even consider serious off roading. If you have a choice, get the six banger so you have options on where you want to go. I have a four banger Ford Ranger with a Ranger II (Eagle) and I am happy with what I have gotten away with, but I am in the market for a six cylinder so I dont crawl in first gear going up mountain passes. With high performace vechices whizzing by you, I consider it a safety issue. On a positive note, I have gotten just over 30 mpg with my setup. I had the same questions when I was considering these type of campers. -Joel

On a positive note, I have gotten just over 30 mph with my setup. I had the same questions when I was considering these type of campers. -Joel

I think Skeeter means 30 mpg, not 30 mph, but I could be wrong
wink.gif

I have a 6 cylinder Ranger with a fully loaded Eagle. It's definitely not overpowered even with 6. I would avoid 4 cylinders, even if your mileage suffers I've been getting 19 mpg on the paved mountain roads. That's a best case scenario for gas mileage with my setup.

If you are asking about a Tacoma or Frontier with an automatic transmission, I think you will find the performance of a 4 cylinder lacking, especially with the somewhat heavier Fleet model. A 4 cylinder with a manual transmission might be adequate, depending on your expectations.

Personally speaking, I know I’d never be happy with a 4 cylinder’s performance. My Tacoma with an Eagle and the 3.4 V6 with automatic transmission has just enough power to satisfy me. I’d prefer the performance improvement of the V6 with a manual transmission, but I’ve outgrown my passion for shifting gears and prefer to put it in DRIVE and go. And an automatic transmission is actually my preference for effortless off-road meandering.

A 6 cylinder Tacoma is adequately powered for most of what you will do with an Eagle (or Bobcat). I have been very satisfied with my 2006 Tacoma with 6 cylinder and automatic. I think my '98 6 cylinder Tacoma would have done pretty well, but I never had the Bobcat on it. If you were only in the back country a 4 cylinder would work OK, but you might not be happy on the highway in hilly country.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses. I'm really in a quandary about the 4 vs. 6 cylinder truck. I will also be using it for day to day transportation when not vacationing. I was hoping to get the best gas mileage possible (my other car is a prius). Are there users who are happy with their 4 cylinder trucks and pop up campers?

Looking at the specs, Toyota says 17 - 22 mpg for the 4 cylinder manual transmission 4X4, 16 - 20 mpg for the V6 automatic 4X4. I normally get 16 - 17 mpg in town with the camper on the truck, 18 - 20 mpg in town without the camper on a 2006 Tacoma 4X4. On the road at constant 65 the mileage is 14.5 - 18 with the camper, 19 - 21 without the camper. Yes, I do keep track of the mileage every fill up. No, I don't drive like I am late to an appointment. I wonder if the 4 cylinder mileage is that much different that you will really notice the gas cost difference over a V6. Just a thought. (As an aside, we own a Prius in addition to the Tacoma.)

Back
Top Bottom