Truck suggestions (four wheel camper)

I'll add my $0.02. Go with a 3/4 or 1-ton truck and be done with it. Or, get a half-ton and worry about air bags and overload springs and inadequate braking etc.

I've got a 2014 Hawk on my GMC 2500HD and it weighs about 8800 lbs loaded for a trip. Other guys have posted gross weights well over 9000 lbs. That's just not a good idea with a half-ton truck.

X2 PJorgen...
Think most of us would be surprised how much our "lite" weight campers weigh, once they're loaded with people, a dog/child or two, fuel, water, food and all the stuff we think we need. Regarding truck size/dimensions, I think the Tundra's, Fi50's, etc. have the same dimensions or they're pretty close (an inch or two?) of the 3/4 ton/1 ton. Correct me if wrong, but the true differences between 1/2 tons and 3/4+ tons include the powertrain, tranny, brakes, springs, axle, etc., etc.

I've Have a 2005 regular cab gas engine F250 4x4 with a 2011 granby more or less permanently on the truck.
With full tanks , whole load of crap and two fat people in it rolled across the scale at 9200 LBS.
Went to the junk yard got some rear springs of a 2005 f250 took the rear springs apart left out the fat overload spring and
cut up the junk yard springs to fit where the overload spring was. Added four leaves on the left and three on the right to correct
the left lean the truck had. Much nicer to drive now. Half ton aint gonna get it. Go big.

Payload is about 2100 lbs. Camper (expected, I don't have one yet) has posted dry weight of ~1000 lbs + 150 lbs water + 200 lbs (full) fuel + 320 lbs (2) people = 1700 lbs. That leaves me with at least 400 lbs of gear or "buffer capacity" in case the camper ends up heavier. I cannot imagine I will ever require 400 lbs of gear. I originally wanted the long (8-foot) bed which has a payload of ~2700 lbs, but Ford never made one of these in 2015 so I ended up with the 6.5-foot bed.

Given that a lot of folks out there are putting 3000 or 4000-pound campers on 3/4 ton trucks and apparently not having issues with overload (I do think most are using extra springs or airbags etc.), I don't expect any issues, but we'll see.

Does the breakdown go like this?:
150/1500 - half ton
250/2500 - 3/4 ton
350/3500 - one ton
The biggest thing I'm having an issue with is the price difference when you go with something like a fully loaded Tacoma vs. a GMC 3500. It's a full double the price.
I just don't think I could spend >$60K on a truck.
Of course, there is the used market.

I like the way this thread has gone and particularly like Ace's comments!

I have to agree with the majority of comments that you will want a 3/4 or one ton rig to ride safely down the trail. As far as diesel v. Gas is concerned I feel that is a personal one so I won't push diesel too much other than to say your range (both on road and off will be considerably further.

I am having a Hallmark Everest built as we speak and intend to do an accurate weigh in of the truck and camper so that will hopefully help others down the road. Keep in mind that the "published" weights (of any manufacturer) is the base model without any options and with a manufacturer like FWC you will have a lot of options in your rig.

EWizard said:
Does the breakdown go like this?:
150/1500 - half ton
250/2500 - 3/4 ton
350/3500 - one ton
The biggest thing I'm having an issue with is the price difference when you go with something like a fully loaded Tacoma vs. a GMC 3500. It's a full double the price.
I just don't think I could spend >$60K on a truck.
Of course, there is the used market.
It's easy to get carried away when you price a truck out but I just priced out a 2016 F-250 cc lwb 4x4 XLT for 45K

http://shop.ford.com/build/superduty/?gnav=header-trucks#/config/Config%5B%7CFord%7CSuperDuty%7C2016%7C1%7C1.%7C603A.W2B.172....CBC.X37.CRW.NFLEET.996.4X4.44P.SRW.XLT.~F-250.%5D

Also, it's pretty easy to get 5-8k off of list price on Fords

Ah, now I get it. 2016 GMC Sierra 4x4, crew cab, Duromax diesel $46k list.
Knock off some dollars and look for one that's a couple of years old, this could work.
Thanks guys.

Thanks smlbox.

Anyway, to throw in my answer to some of the above the Ford F250 and F350 are the same truck, except, in some cases, suspension. Even with the suspension, the difference is based on options. So, an F250 and F350 can be exactly the same, except for badging and a the rear block under the rear leaf spring. Depending on options, other than the badging and rear block, everything else is exactly the same.

What's that mean? Get either truck, probably with the camper package as an option, because either truck will do the exact same job (unless you need the rear to ride 2" higher).

When referring to trucks, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton are references to old "standards." We all still use the terms, most of us understanding they don't really refer to specific payloads anymore. They really refer more to badging 150/1500 (1/2 ton), 250/2500 (3/4 ton), 350/3500 (1 ton).

What about the 12th generation F150 with a 3100 pound payload capacity (for the loaded ones)? With a set of airbags or heavy duty springs it might make a good affordable, light weight setup that would perform well off road? Parts are cheap and there aren't more trucks available in the used market, I would want to think about the new aluminum f150 but it doesn't fit with my plans to eventually retire. I was thinking of one of these with a hawk shell as my next build. My dad always felt the lighter trucks are the best off road, especially in mud and snow. Be great to hear from the 1/2 ton owners.

I use a 2008 Nissan Frontier with the Falcon 4WC the smallest and lightest camper but it's pretty loaded. Like the Tacoma heavy duty springs and bilstien shocks are a minimum upgrade and when the truck is loaded it's close to gvw.

Just a fun video, mileage loop comparison between the 2.8 Duramax and the 5L f150 5600lb three horse trailer. Ford was sub 9mpg - Canyon was over 12mpg. Im thinking a fwc on a 2.8L GM could do 20+mpg averages fairly easy.

Granted no one is really putting much on 0-60 performance in a camper Rig but the 2.8L Diesel is a 10second machine and the f150 5L is a 7-8 second machine. My 2.5L Subaru CVT wagon is a 11second machine, just for comparison. I dont have any complaints about the Subaru it still passes and sprints into 70-80mph CA highwsy traffic just fine. Even when loaded.

4x4, Crew cab, FWC camper, 2x kids, dogs...
plus all the associated toys and tools for each...

IMO, only one choice a one ton, 4x4, crew cab with a diesel. My choice would be a Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty with the diesel engine. Yes, the diesel is heavier than the gas motor and reduces payload accordingly. But, I seriously doubt you will approach GVWR of the 350. I'm not into the "Gucci options" on pickup trucks these days so an XLT model is perfect for my life style.

The Ford diesel engine obtains about the same MPG at max weight as every day driving because of the torque curve.

Several years ago, when Ford went from steel to AL body panels on the F-150, dealers passed along deep discounts and incentives to buyers to move the last of the steel body trucks off their lots. I'm hoping the same happens late summer 16 with the F-250/350 since Ford is going to start introducing the AL technology in the '17s.

While my F-250 is sufficient, the F-350 would give me payload numbers where I could even tote the kitchen sink!

Fuel range: I have yet to have an issue with fuel range. Yet, if I purchased a new F-350, I would likely install an Aluminess rear bumper with tire carrier. In the void left by moving the spare tire out of the factory location, I would install a Titan 30G aux fuel tank. This would easily get me 600+ miles down the road on a single load of fuel. Even the additional ~200lb of fuel in this location wouldn't get into the F-350 payload numbers. Yet, I would get a 350 with the increased payload option. I have yet to see a dealer have a 350 on the lot without the increased payload option. When you get into the 1 ton trucks, not having the increased payload option is counter intuitive as a selling point.

The 350/3500 trucks may seem like a lot of truck, but, they are very easy to drive and feel rock solid on the road.

Yes I would also like to hear from the 150/1500 people out there. I will only be using the FWC on occasion. It will not be left on full time. Besides shocks, springs and or air bags, how are y'all doing with the weight? I'm not worried about fuel due to only using it on long weekends.

I just bought a T@B trailer instead of a FWC, I know, I know.
We used to have a Vanagon Westfalia and the constant setting up camp, take down camp [to run get some ice], then set back up got a little old.
I decided that I would try out a small trailer and see if we liked it better.
I still want a FWC but that will probably be a while.
The T@B is so light we can tow it easily with our Toyota Sienna (that we already own).
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The only 1/2 ton truck I would consider in the four door/kids/dogs class would be the Ford F-150 crew cab long bed (6 1/2 ft) with the payload package which would be special order. Even with the stock extra rear leaf of the payload package, a Hawk could settle the rear end so air bag suspension may need to be added to level the truck. Either engine, 5.0l V-8/3.5l V-6 turbo would be fine. Brakes on almost all current 1/2 ton trucks are better than 250/2500/350/3500 because a half ton weighs less. The payload package comes with a better rear axle and stiffer springs (both front and rear) and LT tires which you will notice when the camper is off. Note: The Ford F-150 payload package with an 8' truck bed/8' camper creates an almost perfect front:rear weight distribution which is less important than doors for most truck/camper buyers today (i.e. I have no rear sag with a stock suspension).

Update on mine: Just picked up my ATC Cougar (8-foot camper on 6.5-foot bed) on Sunday and drove it home in our F150. It is a shell model with furnace and stove only (I plan to build out) and dry weight is 897 pounds. Driving home over the Sierra, I hardly noticed it was there from a performance standpoint - plenty of pep, great handling, no bed sag. I did lose a bit of mileage (not really clear how much but maybe 2-3 mpg). I doubt we will load it up so much that weight becomes an issue. I plan on leaving the truck stock for starters and testing it before bothering to add any airbags, springs etc.

Back
Top Bottom