TruckFridge TF51A Test Results

How'd you wire it all up?

On my fridge I cut into the 12V line and put a set of anderson powerpoles after the plug. Most of the time I don't use the plug and connect the powerpoles to a fused line from the battery which also have powerpoles. My wattsup meter has powerpoles on it as well so I can add it into the line anytime I want to monitor things and pull it out when I want to monitor elsewhere. I can also add the cig plug back on if I'm trying to use the fridge elsewhere (I didn't like the connection the plug made in a moving vehicle so I wanted something more robust like the powerpoles for normal use).

Picture of the current plug to splice into a set of terminals in my FWC:
2011-10-01_14-36-00_137.jpg

Mr. pods8:
Tell us -- me, anyway -- about "powerpoles", please. How do they work, why are they good?
A brand name and/or a brandname applied to generic equivalents?
Thanks.

Mr. pods8:
Tell us -- me, anyway -- about "powerpoles", please. How do they work, why are they good?
A brand name and/or a brandname applied to generic equivalents?
Thanks.

Anderson Powerpoles: Anderson Powerpole and SB Connectors | Powerwerx

Sometime also called forklift power connectors for the large sized ones. They've got good contact, numerous housing sizes (and different contact sizes for the same housing to cover the range of wire size) for small wiring up to high amp stuff. They're universal as it they are all the same housing, you just flip them over to plug into each other.

The smaller sized housing takes the 15/30/45amp contacts (really more of a function of the wire size those contacts take) so other than for larger gauge battery cables this one is pretty functional and I plan on using it quite a bit in my build. The 30amp contacts are pretty universal, they fit 14 & 12gauge wire by design but you can fold over 16ga wire for instance to fill up there terminal crimp if you only have a few connections to make and don't want to get 15amp contacts.

Anyways, lots to say check it out and inquire with questions.

Anderson Powerpoles: http://www.powerwerx...son-powerpoles/

Sometime also called forklift power connectors for the large sized ones. They've got good contact, numerous housing sizes (and different contact sizes for the same housing to cover the range of wire size) for small wiring up to high amp stuff. They're universal as it they are all the same housing, you just flip them over to plug into each other.

The smaller sized housing takes the 15/30/45amp contacts (really more of a function of the wire size those contacts take) so other than for larger gauge battery cables this one is pretty functional and I plan on using it quite a bit in my build. The 30amp contacts are pretty universal, they fit 14 & 12gauge wire by design but you can fold over 16ga wire for instance to fill up there terminal crimp if you only have a few connections to make and don't want to get 15amp contacts.

Anyways, lots to say check it out and inquire with questions.

I checked the powerwerx site and read the tutorial on powerpoles -- very cool!
So far, if I've needed a connection that could be separated I used disconnect terminals (I think they're called) like these (why? because that's what I found at H.D
rolleyes.gif
)....but these powerpoles look better.
Thanks!

Now I just need to find-in-town or order some so I can get my final solar install done (and re-do some previous wiring) before I leave in about 10 days.

Yeah they're much nicer than those kind of connectors. Around town look around for an electronics supply store, esp. one that might cater to radio guys. I've gotten some local (but paid more) to try them out but have since ordered from the site I posted. If you get an order in they should have them to you for next week.

You'll need a crimper too though. Cheapest one is this harbor freight plier: http://www.harborfreight.com/9-1-2-half-inch-wire-crimping-tool-36411.html Find a pair that actions well (they are hit/miss with harbor freight) and I also opened up the slot a tiny bit with a rat tail file on mine so the crimp is more apt to pop loose after being squished.

I use those pliers on non-insulated solid butt terminals as well (then put heat shrink over them) and they hold quite a bit better than crimped insulated butt connectors.

I just didn't feel that confident that my particular cig plug wouldn't jiggle and make/break contact going down the road so I went ahead a did the connectors. Bonus is it allows the watt meter. :)

I just didn't feel that confident that my particular cig plug wouldn't jiggle and make/break contact going down the road so I went ahead a did the connectors. Bonus is it allows the watt meter. :)

That's why I did the separate circuit. I also want to use that 12V outlet for charging my camera batteries.

<snip> We are planning to use our fridge occasionally as a freezer on longer trips. I wonder if you have any interest is running a test with the fridge set at 0 degrees with a couple of frozen gallon water jugs inside to check the energy useage for that scenario. -Al

I just might do this in the next couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

I just might do this in the next couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

That would be great! Of course, we are soon coming into the season around here where freezing food is not a problem. haha.

Of course, we are soon coming into the season around here where freezing food is not a problem. haha.

Being a Wisconsin boy I was thinking the same thing.

I should supply a "real use" report. This trip was our first "real" opportunity for the Lady to put the unit to work. She is very pleased. It was loaded up and cooled down the evening before leaving late the next afternoon. Camper was plugged into AC home current. Since this was a short trip, there was extra room that we filled with a frozen gallon water bottle. A fridge filled with cold items is an efficient fridge. We only heard it run a couple of times and I'm speculating its energy draw was less than the static tests. We were curious if we'd hear it run at night. We did not. I will put the Watts Up meter in line on our next trip and get some "real test" numbers.

Bottom line - we are very pleased with the new fridge.

I should supply a "real use" report. This trip was our first "real" opportunity for the Lady to put the unit to work. She is very pleased. It was loaded up and cooled down the evening before leaving late the next afternoon. Camper was plugged into AC home current. Since this was a short trip, there was extra room that we filled with a frozen gallon water bottle. A fridge filled with cold items is an efficient fridge. We only heard it run a couple of times and I'm speculating its energy draw was less than the static tests. We were curious if we'd hear it run at night. We did not. I will put the Watts Up meter in line on our next trip and get some "real test" numbers.

Bottom line - we are very pleased with the new fridge.

Happy to hear the fridge worked out well.It's all about keeping the ladies happy right.
Frank

Power Poles work great. I have them wired into my campers and boats so everything is universal. I also made short adapters to cig lighter outlets, battery clamps, battery chargers etc. My portable solar panels are wired with them too. Very high quality products. I first learned of them when I got my amateur radio license and started wiring up equipment. Most of our EMCOM folks around here use them so it's very easy to switch gear.
Ski, you are a long way from Wisconsin. I was born and raised in Superior and crossed over the bridge to Duluth, MN when I got married and my Lady wanted the kids to go to the school she went to. This area is some beautiful country. I need to come visit your country sometime.
Takesiteasy, sometime we have to meet for a handshake.
Thanks everyone, Bigfoot Dave

Back
Top Bottom