Trucks/2012 GMC 2500HD/2012 Toyota Tundra

Jamesiam

Okay I've had an itch to buy a new truck lately. I'm towing my 2005 Hawk on an 2005 Toyota Tundra and feel I need a better payload. Talking to a Toyota dealer I'm looking at roughly 32,000 for the 2012, I think I might be able to get a 2012 GMC 2500 HD for the same price if not a bit cheaper. Write ups seem good for the GMC with better gas mileage and payload. Anybody have any opinions on this matter?

You are far better off putting your Hawk on a 3/4 ton truck....so get the GMC.

I concur.

After 3,000 miles on my new truck and Hawk I am a happy camper. Handles the camper great with no air bags etc. needed what so ever. Probably the biggest thing I notice is the braking power, absolutely no drama. The 6.0 gas engine has plenty of power on 10,000' Colorado mountain passes with a 2,000 lb loaded camper. Just got back from a week long hunting trip and my highway mileage, running usually five miles over the speed limit, was 14.3. Off road, low range, was about 9 or 10.

Price I can't really comment on as mine is a loaded LTZ crew cab with most available options. It seems to me though that apples to apples the 3/4 ton runs about a grand more than the 1/2 ton. To my mind worth every penny.

Webster Pass 1.jpg

I concur.

After 3,000 miles on my new truck and Hawk I am a happy camper. Handles the camper great with no air bags etc. needed what so ever. Probably the biggest thing I notice is the braking power, absolutely no drama. The 6.0 gas engine has plenty of power on 10,000' Colorado mountain passes with a 2,000 lb loaded camper. Just got back from a week long hunting trip and my highway mileage, running usually five miles over the speed limit, was 14.3. Off road, low range, was about 9 or 10.

Price I can't really comment on as mine is a loaded LTZ crew cab with most available options. It seems to me though that apples to apples the 3/4 ton runs about a grand more than the 1/2 ton. To my mind worth every penny.

View attachment 15483

Just orderd a 2013 chevy 2500 gasser with 3.73s limited slip. It's a wt with options. Sounds like mileage will not be much differnt than my half ton hemi with a hawk. Will not be here until mid december. I don't have a camper right now any how. Good luck . mitch

They're right, of course, to get a 3/4T for about the same price....but...the Tundra did tow the almost 300,000 pound Space Shuttle...stock

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/14/watch-a-toyota-tundra-tow-space-shuttle-endeavor/

They're right, of course, to get a 3/4T for about the same price....but...the Tundra did tow the almost 300,000 pound Space Shuttle...stock

You can shave a gorilla....but that don't make it a house pet.

I'd rather tow the Space Shuttle with a 3/4 ton truck too.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/14/watch-a-toyota-tundra-tow-space-shuttle-endeavor/

I remember a friend telling me about that but never looked up the video, that was nice. I'm still in the thought process and will have to drive them both, it might be hard to switch from team Toyota so we'll see.

I remember a friend telling me about that but never looked up the video, that was nice. I'm still in the thought process and will have to drive them both, it might be hard to switch from team Toyota so we'll see.

I truly love my Tundra....it now has 205,000 miles on it and still going strong. So I'm a Toyota guy too.

It is simply a matter of the right tool for the job.....the 3/4 Ford has been flawless....and handles the Hawk and my Wells Cargo trailer with ease. Oh....and it stops when I press the brake pedal too.....something the Tundra wouldn't do.

as much as i liked our toyotas,if i was to go back to a pop up camper i would do as i did
when i ordered my truck for my tiger build.

truck was ordered and equipted as i wanted it not as the dealer ordered.

2012 chevy work truck chassiss 3500 (1 ton)
bucket seats
4x4
manual transfer case
manual windows
manual door locks
locking rear difff.
auto trans with manual /tow modes (wanted manual,but after my motorcycle wreak could not use arm for shifting for almost 2 years)
6.0 gas engine.
basic radio
steel 18" wheels,with E rated tires

gvw on truck is 10,700 lbs so it is never overloaded.

have now put over 9000 miles on it and total mpg (all milage city,highway,idling.4x4 mode) is 11.5

i wonder what a v/8 tundra would do with the same set up as ours
Out the door at the factory weight ticket from state with full propane,water and driver 8,700 pounds.

it took 5 1/2 weeks for truck to be built and delivered to custom builder .

so i suggest if you want your truck set up as you want it order it from factory.

i shopped local dealers and it ended up being cheaper to special order! surprized me.

as much as i liked our toyotas,if i was to go back to a pop up camper i would do as i did
when i ordered my truck for my tiger build.

truck was ordered and equipted as i wanted it not as the dealer ordered.

2012 chevy work truck chassiss 3500 (1 ton)
bucket seats
4x4
manual transfer case
manual windows
manual door locks
locking rear difff.
auto trans with manual /tow modes (wanted manual,but after my motorcycle wreak could not use arm for shifting for almost 2 years)
6.0 gas engine.
basic radio
steel 18" wheels,with E rated tires

gvw on truck is 10,700 lbs so it is never overloaded.

have now put over 9000 miles on it and total mpg (all milage city,highway,idling.4x4 mode) is 11.5

i wonder what a v/8 tundra would do with the same set up as ours
Out the door at the factory weight ticket from state with full propane,water and driver 8,700 pounds.

it took 5 1/2 weeks for truck to be built and delivered to custom builder .

so i suggest if you want your truck set up as you want it order it from factory.

i shopped local dealers and it ended up being cheaper to special order! surprized me.

i shopped local dealers and it ended up being cheaper to special order!

That is a shocker. I always assumed it would be more expensive, I'm going with a 2012 to save a bit though so this might not be an option although sitting down and re-pricing a 2013 might be an option

manual windows
manual door locks
reaching across the cab to roll down the window myself, NEVER I say!

plus I love it when someone is napping next to me with their arm on the window as I tap on the power window button and see them jump, "oh sorry I didn't know you had your hand there!"

i shopped local dealers and it ended up being cheaper to special order!

That is a shocker. I always assumed it would be more expensive, I'm going with a 2012 to save a bit though so this might not be an option although sitting down and re-pricing a 2013 might be an option

manual windows
manual door locks
reaching across the cab to roll down the window myself, NEVER I say!

plus I love it when someone is napping next to me with their arm on the window as I tap on the power window button and see them jump, "oh sorry I didn't know you had your hand there!"

dealers love people who want all the "needed " extras.

there must be more people like me or you would not be able to order "custom builds"

Les lqhikers

Oh....and it stops when I press the brake pedal too.....something the Tundra wouldn't do.

The new ones have big disc brakes. Mine never had any trouble stopping downhill with the camper. Of course, the 3/4 should be even better.

The new ones have big disc brakes. Mine never had any trouble stopping downhill with the camper. Of course, the 3/4 should be even better.

My Ford 3/4 ton has massive 4 wheel disk brakes. No more whimpy drum rear brakes for me!

James, get the 3/4 ton. You owe it to your own safety and others on the road. You need to be able to stop. If you load your truck over payload with Tundra (which you will), have an accident and someone is hurt, you will be considered "in neglect". The damages will be huge.

Chevy, Ford or Dodge. (Dodge diesel will get you best mpg).

I agree with the 3/4 ton. You will spend a lot of money on suspension upgrades to make the halfer handle without white knuckles.

I went with the new 6.2 Ford gasser. A diesel would be wasted on me as it is not my daily driver. So instead of buying the diesel I saved $8K for gas!!!! YMMV

Back
Top Bottom