Truma furnace install.... Amazing!

Pamid2805

Advanced Member
We have a 2020 hawk rollover with the standard furnace. Love the camper but was never completely happy with the furnace. We occasionally camp in shoulder seasons where night temps might just dip below freezing. Never in the snow. Furnace wd come on hard and loud and roast us. Then shut off and we wd be cold before it came on again. Had the older thermal pack and added additional thermarests to the windows.Tried different temps. Tried changing the cycle time. Nothing quite worked. I think the fan/furnace was just to big for the small space. I have seen many posts staying same issues.

Saw truma furnace while doing research a couple of years ago but minimal info on it. After FWC announced their change, reinvestigated the issue after some cold nights in Utah where we resorted to staying at a campground with electrical to use a small space heater instead.

Decided to go for it. Visited truma dealer in Elkhart Indiana (we are in Michigan). Then spent a few nights on the camper after install. First night into low 50s. Next two nights down to 28F.

Best idea ever and worth every penny. Super quiet. I thought we had run out of propane and it wasn't working the first morning...but it was running, just super quiet. Never woke me up cycling overnight and I am a light sleeper. Elkhart trauma dealer is greatly recommended. Easy to work with. Great area to relax during install. Did a terrific job.

If you are thinking about it and spend time in the camper in colder conditions, I strongly recommend.

In full disclosure...we also upgraded to the newer thermal pack but I don't think that changes too much. The quiet, easy blowing heat of the 3 stage fan in the truma is the real difference.

I have gained much wisdom from others in this forum. I hope this helps anyone on the fence make the decision.

I’ve had a eye on the Truma furnace for a couple years. Every time I turn on the Dometic furnace I hold my breath until it lights, or doesn’t.

I found a dealer close to here who says bring the camper by and we’ll inspect it and provide a quote.

I’ll report back with what I find out.

It was $2k for install. They used a different cover for the outside. Black plastic composite that looks like it came with the camper. The inside old furnace opening was covered with a plate with a much smaller vent opening. The new inside plate is attached by 1" bumpers to offset from wall. This is to pull air in. I will have to get pics this weekend. Hard to describe.

Pamid2805 said:
It was $2k for install. They used a different cover for the outside. Black plastic composite that looks like it came with the camper. The inside old furnace opening was covered with a plate with a much smaller vent opening. The new inside plate is attached by 1" bumpers to offset from wall. This is to pull air in. I will have to get pics this weekend. Hard to describe.
For those of us interested in this furnace, photos will be quite valuable. Thank you!

Here are interior pics

Attachments

• int faceplate.jpg
    int faceplate.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 123
  • int faceplate depth.jpg
    int faceplate depth.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Control panel.jpg
    Control panel.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 102
And here are the exterior

Attachments

• Ext faceplate.jpg
    Ext faceplate.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Ext faceplate depth.jpg
    Ext faceplate depth.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 91
Condensation is pretty similar to the prior furnace from what I can tell so far. Had a and amt condensation the coolest morning.

Has never been a big issue for us. Don't camp in real winter. Crack a vent and a window. Run roof fan after getting up.

You can see in pics that they installed with interior face plate with a 1" standoff. They said for air return. I'm not a furnace expert but seems like you cd replace with a flush faceplate that was either perforated or grilled to allow for air exchange?

I'm not messing with it now, too new. But already thinking. The off set isn't an issue in the camper. But worried about cleaning and dropping items in there (food from counter and stove)

Congrats. Looks great. The standoff is perplexing. I’m sure there’s an explanation. Enjoy the heat!

Pamid2805 said:
You can see in pics that they installed with interior face plate with a 1" standoff. They said for air return. I'm not a furnace expert but seems like you cd replace with a flush faceplate that was either perforated or grilled to allow for air exchange?

I'm not messing with it now, too new. But already thinking. The off set isn't an issue in the camper. But worried about cleaning and dropping items in there (food from counter and stove)
It looks like you could easily use the top screws to mount a protective cover over that gap.

Yes, I thought about a cover over the top edge of the frame. But something that sits flush but allows air to pass wd be more "finished". From what I can tell... It isn't an issue with space for the furnace.

Weird, it appears they don't let you buy and install yourself?

I'd like to stick to a propane furnace that doesn't sound like a rocket ship when it kicks on.

A question. Many of us have installed and use a garage thermostat that allow for a low heat setting down to 35 degrees. How low of a temperature does the Truma varioheat control allow?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom