Try before you buy?

Fernweh

Advanced Member
We have been following this site since the start of summer and have an interest in pop top truck campers. We came upon Ski3pin site and have really fallen for the style of camping he shares. We have countless days of camping under our belts and have been looking for a vehicle that would enhance our experience.

Being in the Midwest (WI) I don't see many FWC or ATC campers. We would really like to try one out for a few nights and see if they work for us. Any suggestions or ideas of a place or person who could help us?

Thanks

A couple summers ago we rented the fully-loaded side dinette Hawk w/ solar mounted on a lifted Dodge Powerwagon from Tonto Trails in Durango for 4 days. Julie and John, the owners were great about working with us to design a trip that allowed us to boondock high up in Rockies near Silverton. Although pricey we agreed it was a great investment. We really got a feel for how it all worked (driving, elbow room, raising/lowering top, solar, side-dinette, heat, hot shower, cooking, sleeping, etc. We are long-time tent campers and those four days really spoiled us (especially the hot showers after a day of hiking). The experience sold us on the whole truck/pop-up camper combination. Now it's just a matter of time before we jump in and get one for ourselves.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did find this option a while back, but they no longer offer the Dodge truck and fourwheel camper.

Hi Fernweh! Great handle, btw. I had considered that word as a name for my camper! :-D

Where in the Midwest are you?

Fernweh said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I did find this option a while back, but they no longer offer the Dodge truck and fourwheel camper.
Did you talk to them?
And, did you ask them why they don't have that combo anymore?
That might be interesting to know the reason.

Thanks for the replies, but no, I haven't contacted Tonto Trails to inquire about their FWC. Their website doesn't list it anymore. I have talked previously with Sean at Go Anywhere, and if we do purchase new, I would definitely use his expertise. Our future Fernweh mobile is going to take us places we hope to travel. Appreciate the help and clever ideas you all have shared.

We'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom