Tucson, Arizona Area in February

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
We will be traveling to the Tucson area this February. We have two separate sets of relatives enjoying the snowbird life down there and have invited us to visit. As is our nature, we will want some rugged, remote alone time. Your suggestions on areas to explore will be appreciated and considered. Thank you. :)

Patagonia Lake SP and town for birding, Chiricahua NM, Cochise Stronghold are nearby. Organ Pipe NM on the border south of the Phoenix area.

Patagonia Lake while pretty was to me too overrun with the kind of RV's that like to plug in when we went in early December. Parker Canyon Lake south of Sonoita was pretty though not especially rugged. There is some exploring to do in the Huachuca Mtns that I haven't gotten around to yet, Same with Coronado National Forest and the Sky Islands. Kind of one of those too many places to go, not enough time things (which is a good thing, love new discoveries!).

If you end up traveling south of Sonoita on 83 during the weekend you'll go through the Arizona wine country but there is also a nano brewery there that was worth a stop and a growler fill http://www.copperhopranch.com/ they also sell farm fresh eggs.

Sonoran Desert NM has some beautiful areas and isn't too far.

Arivaca Lake wasn't great but there was some beautiful country driving FS 39 South and East towards Rio Rico and Nogales (U.S.) and I want to go back and explore that stretch of 39 some more but it was hunting season when we were there.

I'm trying to decide between Kofa and Bosque del Apache for a couple night getaway right now.

One note, expect to go through several border patrol checkpoints on paved secondary roads and see large numbers of white trucks with green stripes and lettering as you explore the wilds.

Galiuro Wilderness is very remote and not easily accessible.-Arivaipa Canyon is by permit only and limited usage. Rincon Mts eastside of Tucson in Sahuaro National Park not so remote but great trails and spectacular views.

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument is a quick jog west from Tucson and is a incredible area for history, botany remote hiking and all things WTW.

David Graves

I'm thinking of hitting Bosque Del Apache also. I'm leaving Ky. Friday and have to be in Mesa on Tuesday for a regear on the Tacoma and then I'll be all over exploring. Maybe see some of you guys on the road. Ron

Around Tucson: Saguaro NP, Pima Air & Space Museum, and The Biosphere are worth visiting. The Chiracahua's and Cochise Stonghold are my favorite places for camping,hiking and birding. Going south from Tucson Kartchner Caverns,Tombstone, Patagonia and Ramsey Canyon (for birding) - I also like going in to Nogales on this same route. Organ Pipe Cactus NM is really cool- was there for a day and a night and wish I had spent 2-3 days there. My sister lives in Bisbee so it's a perfect base for 1-2 day trips in the area. There's a huge open pit copper mine (Phelps Dodge) in Bisbee that you can tour if your into that.
Have a great adventure!!

East of Bisbee is Whitewater Draw Wildlife Area, with large numbers of sandhill cranes in winter. You can walk the dikes along the wetlands to get better views of the birds.

Above Cayuse referred to FS Rd 39, it runs west from the Nogales area to Arivaca, fairly close to the US/Mexico border. It is a spectacular and extremely remote area, within 80 miles of Tucson. Prior to the economic turn down, it was a prime passage for illegal immigration, but since then migrant activity is minimal. Along the road/corridor there are deep canyons and rugged mountains that run from the border to about 30 miles north. There are a couple of formal trails, one to near the top of Atatosca Peak where there was an old FS fire lookout, since burned over, and another in Sycamore Canyon that goes south from the road right to the border, about 7 miles. Prior to the fire, the lookout tower was open and campers could stay in it; years back Ed Abbey did work there one season. There is camping at the Sycamore Canyon access, and depending on the time of the year, you have to get your feet wet during the hike. The area used to be riddled with trails at the height of migration and hiking was easy, now those trails have been significantly overgrown, but hiking is still viable. I like hiking in the canyons because as long as you stay in one canyon, getting lost isn't to big a problem. Looking at a map it is fairly easy to create loops from one and back another. And remember, while the official line is migrants are dangerous, most often they want to see you less than you want to see them, and they make a point of avoiding you. Happy trails

Highly recommend visiting both Colossal Cave and Kartchner Caverns, as they are remarkably different. Kartchner better preserved, stricter rules for visitors, but it is a 'living' cave, whereas Colossal is no longer forming speleothems, and air is much dryer. History buffs will enjoy the Titan Missile Museum south of Tucson, and of course Mission San Xavier del Bac, the beautiful 'white dove of the desert'. Colossal cave has good camping potential, close enough to town but out of direct line-of-site. Happy trails!

Again, thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Unfortunately we had a family emergency and we need to remain close to home. The Lady's father - the 92 year old Marine - suffered a heart attack last week. He will survive and we expect him to be able to return to his independent living apartment.

Back
Top Bottom