Tucson AZ in Early February

firemen7

Going to meet with family members in the Tucson area the second week in February. We have stayed at the State Park along I-10 several years ago. Looking for a few good places to use the FWC and explor the area?

Have only visited the Tucson area once but a close by hit is Madera Canyon/Mt. Wrightson Wilderness. Less than an hour from Tucson, south towards Mexico. Great little campground with some lovely mountain and canyon hikes, feels much more remote than it actually is for sure.

Saguaro national park, Ironwood national monument, Catalina state park as well as remote camping opportunities further out towards the Dragoon Mountains. Most of the mountain camping will probably be cold or completely inaccessible in February.

Fireman, you should visit DD's other site CampingUSA! and go the campgrounds near Tucson page for some maps and campground info. I agree with the CraggyMan about Madera Cyn (Bog Springs CG) and Mnt Wrightson. There are a number of USFS campgrounds on the Catalina Hwy north of Tucson; some of the lower ones should still be open in February. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply's and information. This will be our third outing in the FWC and we are looking forward to this trip, the other two were short 4 day trips to shake down the camper our needs. I have been looking over the information and can see that I vastly underestimated the area and need to spend more time investigating, researching and exploring. Thanks again

Not particularly close to Tucson but possibly on your way from California are the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge and the immense Cabeza Prieta Refuge.

Not sure if you can visit this but a fascinating experience if you can get in: http://www.desert.com/sproj/p_i10.html

Thanks Generubin, we are not in any hurry and should have plenty of time to check out several locations on the way to Tucson. I think the trip home will be faster than the trip there.

Back
Top Bottom