Tundra or Diesel

Kilroy

Looking for some thoughts on this.

I currently have a 04 Tundra DC. I want to get a 4x4 to use for some more serious exploration with my FWC Hawk on the back. Occasionally when I go I will flat tow my Jeep or tow my sailboat (about 2500 lb's, wind resistance closer to a barn door). Most of the time I use the truck for work and my daily driver.

Looking to decide between another Tundra (which I love) or going with a heavier diesel truck from US manufacturer. Truck will have to be used as $15000 is tops I can come up with, even after selling current Tundra.

What to do?

Dear Kilroy--

We just went through a similar process: our beloved '98 Supercab F150 4x4 still works but we were overloading it, creating unsafe conditions and uncomfortable passengers.

We considered the cost of fuel, gasoline (~$4.11) vs diesel (~$4.84), the mileage differential, maintenance, reliability, driveability, utility, and vehicle prices.

We believe...
The ~17% premium for diesel cancels the mileage differential.
For the used market no premium is currently paid for diesel vs internal combustion engines.
Fuel prices will continue to rise, but at a decreasing rate.
Diesel powertrains have more capability, but higher maintenance costs.
Diesel vehicles are heavier.
There is no significant difference in economy nor reliability between foreign and domestic full-sized trucks.
Right now is a buyer's market for large trucks. Those of us who've decided we actually need one can take advantage of this.
Upcoming sulfur emission mitigation equipment will worsen diesel economy and drivability, at least for the near term.
If you desire the extra capacity of a diesel and are prepared for the extra costs involved, now is perhaps the optimal time to purchase a late model used diesel truck, especially compared against the upcoming lower emission new diesel vehicles.
We decided on a 2006 F250 FX4 Crewcab short bed with a 5.4L 3V gasoline engine. It will also run on E85.

I've a 06 Tacoma with supercharger. I get around 16mpg with this setup. If I can do it over again I'll get a f250 with 7.3 V8 diesel.

Don't know about a diesel costing more to maintain. Other than it used more oil, mine has been easier and cheaper to maintain than any gas rig I've ever owned.

You ever plan on towing something heavier than a Jeep? Go diesel.

Though call. Toyota makes a very good truck but they don't make a heavy duty version. Because of the new smog equipment any used non ULSD would be you're best bet. If you are going to tow, diesel is the only way to go(IMO). I have a Dodge CTD and just love it. Thou the Blue Book is 1/2 what I paid three years ago.

If you can wait for the 2010 models, all the truck manufacturers will be putting diesel engines in their halve ton trucks. They are talking about getting milage in the low to mid twenties. A full size Toyota truck and camper getting 24 MPG! Oh baby, Oh baby. Hopefully the manufacturers will tune them for mileage rather than torque. Other wise Mahindra will eat their lunch.

Once you decide what you are going to do be patient. Some of the folks here searched a long time to get the right camper. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mike

Like Mark, I was overloading or at least pushing the envelope of my '99 Dodge Ram 4x4 gasser, especially on steep mountain roads. However, I calculate it is actually cheaper to operate my diesel Silverado. Maybe that's because of the dismal mileage I got out of the Dodge - about 9-12 MPG on the highway with the Hawk on it. Of course I did pay a big premium for the diesel engine.

I have towed 6,000 pounds with the camper on and the truck didn't even know it was back there (as it should considering it's rated to tow 12,500 pounds). Cruise set at 65 MPH going up a 7% grade and it didn't even down shift. Going up and down those same steep mountain roads is a breeze and my mileage going up isn't affect nearly as badly as with the Dodge.

This is my third pickup and each time I have gotten something bigger. I'm always happy with the truck for the first 10 or so years, but then something comes along and I want more room or payload. I wonder what it will be that pushes me to go with a dually? :confused:

As Mike said, be patient. I looked for over a year before I found the right used truck in my price range. However, with the price of fuel these days, it is a buyers market.

This truck is a great improvement over my Dodge, but I would like to add that for 99% of my driving with the Hawk on the truck, the truck has much more capacity than I need. I would gladly trade 500-800 pounds of payload (it's rated at 2,203 pounds) and a considerably reduced towing capacity for a lighter weight truck and better mileage. Something like a "5/8" ton 4x4 truck with a 5 liter turbo diesel engine and solid front axle would be about perfect.

Mark, i disagree

the same issues that make large diesel freighters more cost effective that gas engined units apply to us with our campers.

diesel mileage does not take the same gigantic hit/reduction as a gas engine does. i get 17mpg with or without the camper + load.

once you get into a full size vehicle gas propulsion begins to lose efficiency....rapidly $$$$

and i dont have more expensive maintenance. now i have had gas vehicles as well as diesels and the the diesels lasted longer, and cost far less per mile.

cost per mile is the key.

but i do agree that the new urea/low sulpher (ultra low) etc. seem to be giving up a lot of effienciencies.......and owners of new unit are complaining.

i will keep my 7.3L y2k diesel unit.

I don't doubt your pleasurable experience one bit, Jeff. I'm happy that you've not had problems, and I agree that your truck is a definite keeper.

One way we gathered information was to lurk on truck owner forums. Reading the posts by owners who *were* having problems helped us to form our beliefs. ;)

Back
Top Bottom