Tundra Owners - Engine Noise..Exhaust Leak?

TravelAmateurs

Advanced Member
Since there seems to be quite a few Tundra owners on here I figured I'd pass along something I learned this past week.

Ever since I bought my 06 Tundra DC, I thought it sounded weird/loud. I could hear a lot of ticking, engine, and exhaust noises as I accelerated. I thought I had some sort of exhause manifold leak and a buddy of mine agreed. While browsing the internet to diagnose the problem, I found a suggestion to check my steering shaft boot?? I wasn't sure how that could be related but decided to take a look and sure enough the boot/seal was completely torn. Replaced the $11 part and my truck sounds 10x better! Really surprised by how much noise was coming through such a small opening in the firewall.

So if you're hearing a lot of engine noise in the cab of your truck, it might be worth checking the steering shaft boot/seal.

fyi - if your steering shaft coupler is rusted on, the job may take longer than expected.

Attachments

• Tundra Steering Boot - Copy.jpg
    Tundra Steering Boot - Copy.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 161
Thanks for the info. I have an 06 AC, but no special noises coming from motor. If I do, I'll know what to check.

No problem in my 05, but it will be in the shop next week for a new timing belt, so might ask them to check on this too. Thanks.

Might be worth asking them to lube the seal to prevent a tear down the road. Or if you want to DIY you just pull back the floor board carpet and there are 3 bolts on a plastic cover.

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom