Turnbuckle confusion

Defulmmt

Advanced Member
I’m in the middle of rewiring the cabling between the camper and truck and in the process took the camper off the truck. When I removed the oem front turnbuckles the grooves on the turnbuckle where at the upper end of the turnbuckle. This is consistent with what I have previously read (can’t recall where).

When I removed the rear turnbuckles the grooves were on the lower end of the turnbuckle. Is this correct? This is the first time I’ve removed the camper, turnbuckles were installed by ATC at installation.

Defulmmt said:
I’m in the middle of rewiring the cabling between the camper and truck and in the process took the camper off the truck. When I removed the oem front turnbuckles the grooves on the turnbuckle where at the upper end of the turnbuckle. This is consistent with what I have previously read (can’t recall where).

When I removed the rear turnbuckles the grooves were on the lower end of the turnbuckle. Is this correct? This is the first time I’ve removed the camper, turnbuckles were installed by ATC at installation.
I’ll go check my camper, but I believe grove on the bottom is what ATC recommends. If I’m wrong, I’ll update this.

Marty told me to put the grooves on the bottom on all turnbuckles. Then you have “righty tightly, lefty loosely” all around. I think that is the main reason, so it’s not confusing which way to turn any turnbuckle.

I would get some new turnbuckles that have a threaded nut on the end (see picture) as they won't come off and get high grade hardware. Put large "washers" / backer plates rather than the little washers used from the factory. The pictures attached are from my Eagle and before I replaced the eye bolt with upgraded versions (higher grade). Backer plates are sandwiched between the truck bed and the camper wood mountining locations.

Attachments

• backing plate 2.jpg
    backing plate 2.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 59
  • backing plate.jpg
    backing plate.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 63
  • turnbuckle.jpg
    turnbuckle.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom