Turnbuckle too short, ok to add chain?

traveller

I bought a larger truck (F250) and I am keeping my Fleet FWC. I made a platform to raise the Fleet. Everything fits fine, but my current turnbuckles are too short. Buying longer ones tomorrow, but I still need about 4-5 inches up front and probably 10 -11 inches in the back. Would adding a chain to make up for the additional distance be ok? Would a chain have too much play? Chain is used on external mounts so why not use it between camper and mounts in bed?
Thoughts?

I would consider the weight of the camper sitting on the platform will have a greater amount of leverage.
The angle of the pull is also critical. How much did you raise the camper to fit the Fleet to the new truck?

I had similar issue.

I used chain links rated at 3,500lbs on the two rear hold points.

Cool. I was concerned that using a chain and turnbuckles would have too much play/movement. I suppose that as long as there is tension it doesn’t make a difference.

traveller said:
Cool. I was concerned that using a chain and turnbuckles would have too much play/movement. I suppose that as long as there is tension it doesn’t make a difference.
What are your turnbuckles rated at?

Mine are rated at 350lbs each.

I also replaced the factory eye nuts with stronger eye bolts.

Choose chain that meets or exceeds the strength rating of your turn-buckles. I use turn-buckles that have a "jaw" end on both ends, so no quick links or anything else is needed, but then ours are outboard anchors and I can capture the end link under a heavy washer around a jack bolt.

Back
Top Bottom