TV In Your Camper?

Bombsight

How many of you "Glamp" when the day of traveling, hiking, photography, etc etc. is done?

When your gut is full after a good dinner, you're clean after showering and you start to become bored but the night is still long, do you turn on the idiot box?

When it's time to pass the early night away, where do you, or do you even, mount your TV's in your FWC's?

Will it be a DVD or satellite?

Is it blasphemy to even have one when camping?

Tell us about your TV's in your FWC's.

We don't have a TV and very rarely turn on music when camping. My goal is to not be in contact with anything outside, no phone, no internet, no generators near by.

I confess. I carry a laptop for movies. Otherwise I fall asleep too early and wake up too early. Wife likes to sleep in. We read a lot though at night as well. Rarely sit outside at night. Hate mosquitoes.

JHa6av8r said:
We don't have a TV and very rarely turn on music when camping. My goal is to not be in contact with anything outside, no phone, no internet, no generators near by.
well said JHa6av8r and the reason we "get away"

In our world, a TV is a tow vehicle, and is used to pull our travel trailer. Like JHa6av8r said, the pop up is for leaving some of the trappings of home... far behind.

Years ago we used to take a 13-inch Zenith dual-voltage black-and-white TV along on trips in our sport-top van. We loved it for our trips to Canada, where TV was different for us (and we learned of the 'Corner Gas' and 'North of 60' TV series we enjoyed)

When laptops came about, I bought a TV tuner for it but didn't use it much--- there just didn't seem to be much on and it took some setup. We found we preferred to rent DVDs and have 'movie nights'

Before Blockbuster went bust we rented lots of DVD collections of TV series or shows like the 'Planet Earth' series. I thought it a fantastic thing when I learned I could rent DVDs at one Blockbuster and return to another.

We've also spent quite a few evenings watching movies rented from Redbox kiosks at Walmart. While we're on 'traveling through' days we'll often stop at a Walmart late in the day, rent a Redbox movie and watch it, then return it in the morning. Those can also be returned at other Redbox locations.

We are recent to the FWC world but expect pretty much the same approach in our Hawk. I note, however, that on my recent month-long trip in the Hawk, I tended to spend a lot more time on the web via my iPad than on watching TV series or movies.

-OC

JHa6av8r said:
x2. Silence for us.

I burn movies to my Ipad. Also use a great program called playlater that allows you to burn movies off Netflix, amazon, vudu etc. to your ipad for off grid viewing.
2015-05-07_110414.jpg

When I am on a catfishing trip or a hunting trip I always watch movies at night. I fire up the generator and enjoy my movie collection. When My wife is with me most of the time we spend a lot of time outside. I understand the guys that want peace and quite I have trips like that. I also like trips where I stay on the grid.

A couple times I've brought my laptop for movies but its unusual. More likely if I think I might hit some bad weather.

I always have a laptop with me for work related emergencies (IT stuff) but have never pulled it out to watch movies. Prefer to read or sit around a campfire.

We used our Class C for all kinds of trips, and we'll use our (soon to be purchased) pop-up the same way...not only vacations, and not only in the backcountry. So we won't always want to be off-grid, and will want TV and internet sometimes. But I'll probably just use the laptop instead of a separate display. The FWC isn't big enough to need a big TV!

We just purchased a little 19 inch flat screen for 100 bucks and a small DVD player to go with it. We also purchased a cheap little TV antenna so we can watch the news at night and get the weather report in the morning to start our day. Providing of course we are in range of a local station. The TV sits on top of the cabinet where the refrigerator would go if we had one. We omitted the refrigerator for cabinet space.

I respect that some people simply want to unplug while on vacation but we bring our iPads which have a cellular connection.

We use it for:
GPS, weather reports, capture video and pictures, import photos from our Nikon camera to view at the end of the day. We often share photos with our family/friends while on vacation/trips. We also use it to discover new locations to explore.

My brother lives on the West Coast (Vancouver) and he is extremely versed in the area. He will often send me links to things to do and see or articles pertaining to the area we are visiting. It's like having our own personal tour guide/history professor.

Normally we have very active days. We've used it to try to watch a movie a couple times, but we've never made it through one without falling asleep.

I manage an Apple computer store, so believe me I understand the stress that a lot of the devices cause people and how they negatively impact many people, but it's all about balance. We are not sitting on our iPads all day long. We use them to make our days more fulfilling. We like to be spontaneous, we never do any pre-trip planning. Having a tool like this to make real time decisions adds way more value to our vacations. There are so many things we would have never known existed without the iPad. We also find that we get way more adventurous with the GPS feature.

Bill D said:
We like to be spontaneous, we never do any pre-trip planning. Having a tool like this to make real time decisions adds way more value to our vacations.
I put off getting a smartphone for quite a while (and I'm still a young'un). But when I finally did, this is one way it changed my life. I found it easier to be *more* spontaneous because if we wanted to do something, we just looked up the info and did it right away.

There are definitely boundaries, and sometimes I waste too much time on it, but I can't blame the tool because I'm using it wrong.

JJ1 said:
I put off getting a smartphone for quite a while (and I'm still a young'un). But when I finally did, this is one way it changed my life. I found it easier to be *more* spontaneous because if we wanted to do something, we just looked up the info and did it right away.

There are definitely boundaries, and sometimes I waste too much time on it, but I can't blame the tool because I'm using it wrong.
Well said JJ1.
I think the phrase " Dont hate the game, hate the player" comes in to play here.

Back
Top Bottom