Two Fantastic Fans with remotes?

Durango1

I've followed the different Fantastic Fan threads with interest. In our new flatbed Hawk I decided to just order the two standard skylights from the factory (they come prewired for a fan) and install two variable speed Fantastic Fans.

My old Fantastic Fan was great but even the low speed was almost gale force. And I admire the "conversion efforts" many have done to convert their 3 speed fans over to variable but I just wanted an easy "no drama" deal. However...

I just noticed that the #807350 model ONLY is operable with the remote. There are no speed controls or even an on-off button on the fan itself. So are any of you running two variable speed fans in your small campers? My concern is when I try to turn on or adjust one it will kick in both of them. Or is the remote directional enough point it at one will not affect the other?

And yes, I know I should call the factory. But it is more fun to post here! :)

Steve

We have two remote controlled fans- not sure of the model number, they are at least 4 years old. Each controller works only one fan- no issues with that. However, we don't like the remotes, would much rather have controls on the individual fans. The remotes are always needing batteries and are clunky to use. We haven't used the automatic thermostat control- too much battery drain. Another issue we have is that the fans are always "looking" for the remote signal which results in battery drain over time. I installed a switch in the circuit so I can turn them totally off. We usually are just using them as vents and open them manually. The rain sensor is a nice feature and is why we got them in the first place but it turns out we don't use that feature as the fans are usually turned off. We do like the low fan speed when we do use them and they will cool the camper off quickly on high.

Takeiteasy covered it... the remotes are frequency tuned to each fan, just like garage door opener remotes. Otherwise, I might be able to control the fan of my camping neighbor with my remote. That would drive them crazy, wouldn't it? Or, the other way around.

And, I endorse the ability to turn off the electricity to the FantasticFan with a switch. Mine is located right next to my BlueSea fuse panel. In fact each of my 12 VDC appliances has an ON/OFF switch right next to the fuse panel. I also have a "Master Arm" switch for turning ON/OFF the fuse panel.

The other new thing I would add is that on my FantasticFan 6600R the IN & OUT switch on the fan itself has an "in between" position where the fan blades will not operate. I don't use that, however, it was an interesting few minutes trying to figure out what was wrong with my fan.

Not to hijack this thread but, can some Fantastic Fans be adjusted munually down to a fan speed of just about no rotation at all? I ask because even at its lowest speed, I found the lowest speed of the model I had to be too noisy &, too fast.

Which fan do you have?

The 3 speed, which has the lowest speed that is still pretty fast and noisy, or the 12 speed which has the lowest 3 speeds that are really quiet?

There is a thread about retrofitting a speed controller to the 3 speed fans that turns it into something like the 12 speed fan, if that's what you have. Or, you can just get the 12 speed and change out the 3 speed, easy job to do.

If you have the 12 speed and the lowest speed is still too noisy, then someone else may have an idea for you to try.

So I called the factory. She told me the 807350 IR remote may trigger both fans. But the old 806600R is the same model except with a RF remote and these are programmed individually. The reason they changed over is if you camp near hospitals or an air force base (not likely in my case) there may be interference.

She suggested finding a couple of 6600R's in stock. Anyone have a 6600R Fantastic Fan they want to sell? :)

I just installed two different 7350 model fantastic fans. Either remote will work on either fan. The work only by line of site though. So it may depend on where you are in the camper when you hit the button. It might trigger one or both if they are both line of sight.

Back
Top Bottom