Two night getaway to the North Coast Mattole Road

Looks like a good trip Bill. I have been interested in Mattole Road but have heard lots of stories about how bad it is. Thanks to your many photos it does not look that bad at all. Lots of asphalt patching, but solid.
Love the photos of the views reflected in the windows. And wine, cheese and fruit - the perfect meal.

Bill, looks like you had a nice get away! Can you tell me how the glass got on Glass Beach? Hopefully people aren’t breaking bottles for sport.

Thanks for letting us tag along!

Glass Beach. Story I heard was that a nearby old time landfill was so close to shore that it was breached and the glass fragments are transported to the beach by the current/waves.

Dump was the beach in Fort Bragg years ago. You can still see the concrete pad trucks backed up to, to dump. There are still some rusted out engine blocks and rear ends in places. Most of the junk has rusted away or was claimed by the ocean. But glass was broken up and polished by the sand.

fuzzymarindave said:
Glass Beach. Story I heard was that a nearby old time landfill was so close to shore that it was breached and the glass fragments are transported to the beach by the current/waves.
billharr said:
Dump was the beach in Fort Bragg years ago. You can still see the concrete pad trucks backed up to, to dump. There are still some rusted out engine blocks and rear ends in places. Most of the junk has rusted away or was claimed by the ocean. But glass was broken up and polished by the sand.
Thank you

What a nice trip! My goodness you two sure made us miss the North coast and the sound of crashing waves. Your new van sure looks comfy. :)

Thanks Bill.Your trip brings back so many memories.Over the many camping years
we have traveled and camped at many places along 101 from the bay area all the was into Washington.
101 is such a great hwy even with the extra traffic at times.The bridges are spectacular they just don't build them
like that anymore.

Our first trip there was in 1981 we first camped at the
county campground just out side of Petrolia,one of the first oil drilling
areas in the state.There are still some capped well heads around town
but now well over grown.

We drove the Mattole road a a few times.It's a interesting road.Back in the day
the greenhouses weren't there but the growing was very well hidden back in the forest.
The cows on the black sand beach just seemed strange to me.

We actually are going to make yet another 101 trip in August.Friends in Oregon are having
a wedding so we will take the coast route.The original drive plan was Lassen camping going up
and coast home but changed plans and will just camp at Humbolt Redwoods and Humbug Mt. in Oregon both ways.
Was actually able to get spots in both places for the trip.

Thanks for sharing and keep traveling.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom