Two Roof Vents?

Rob in MT

I am planning on getting a shell with a large window on the drivers side. Would there be a need for an additional roof vent or with the two windows would this be overkill?

Rather than having a fantastic fan installed at the factory, it seems a better value to install an upgraded fan (6600r) myself. Is this a difficult task?

Thanks for your help.

Hey Rob

I have an Ocelot and got 2 vents. 1 fantastic fan, 1 non fan. I believe the boys prewire everything.

I think I should have done two fantastic fans. They really move alot of air and can cool things down quick. I'd guess it wouldn't be hard to change it out. Might get to it someday. The 2 vents also allow for better cooling while sleeping as the vent over the bed can be left open and pull cool air from a window or turnbuckle access up and over the sleeping area. And it is easy to close if it gets too cool or rains.

Definatly not overkill.

Was in the San Rafael Swell last year and temps got up to the upper 80's. Left the camper up with both vents open. Never got over 70 degrees inside. And that's parked in the sun all day. Boy did our awning make us popular.

Stephen

Hey Rob

I have an Ocelot and got 2 vents. 1 fantastic fan, 1 non fan. I believe the boys prewire everything.

I think I should have done two fantastic fans. They really move alot of air and can cool things down quick. I'd guess it wouldn't be hard to change it out. Might get to it someday. The 2 vents also allow for better cooling while sleeping as the vent over the bed can be left open and pull cool air from a window or turnbuckle access up and over the sleeping area. And it is easy to close if it gets too cool or rains.

Definatly not overkill.

Was in the San Rafael Swell last year and temps got up to the upper 80's. Left the camper up with both vents open. Never got over 70 degrees inside. And that's parked in the sun all day. Boy did our awning make us popular.

Stephen

I have two vents but only one with a fan and that seems to work ok. It is nice to be able to suck the hot air out of the camper on those high temp days.

I second the awning. If you can keep the wind from taking it away, it makes a great place to hang out in a sunny, shadeless camp. Or in rain, snow and hail.

Stew

I am planning on getting a shell with a large window on the drivers side. Would there be a need for an additional roof vent or with the two windows would this be overkill?

Rather than having a fantastic fan installed at the factory, it seems a better value to install an upgraded fan (6600r) myself. Is this a difficult task?

Thanks for your help.

Adding a Fantastic Fan to an existing vent hole is easy. I added one last year and it took about an hour. After feeling how well it worked,
I added a second vent/fan. Having two moves a ton of air and really cools down the camper quickly. The front fan is reversible and it's nice, at night, to have it on low moving cool air into the camper. Go for it, you won't be sorry.

The biggest problem with putting the fantastic fan in is cleaning the old sealant off so you can seal the fan well. I had to cut down the interior trim to fit the depth of the roof which added 10 minutes to the install time.

Rob, Is it an issue of not having the cash for that fan right now or the factory doesn't offer that model? Assuming its the latter I'm sure if you provided the fan to them they'd install it when originally building your rig.

The biggest problem with putting the fantastic fan in is cleaning the old sealant off so you can seal the fan well. I had to cut down the interior trim to fit the depth of the roof which added 10 minutes to the install time.

Often you can just swap the guts and leave the actual housing originally installed alone.

I love the Fantastic Fan in the front vent. A little breeze blowing on the bed on a hot night is great.

I have 2 fans. I had them install a fan @ the factory over the bed....but after cooking a few times realized that the fumes gas the person still lounging out up top. Beyond that, the low speed on the 3-speed is too much airflow for Winter camping/condensation....so I bought a 6600 w/ the cool remote and 16 speeds and now I can tailor the speed where I want it.

Pods has a great idea. Send em a fan and let FWC put it in. It's not hard to do (IMO), but hey...they do it all the time and it'd be nice to have it done when the camper shows up.

and..um....if ya got one of those plastic porta-potties.....2 fans is in no way "overkill"! 'nuff said..right?

good luck whatever you decide to do

mtn

Beyond that, the low speed on the 3-speed is too much airflow for Winter camping/condensation....so I bought a 6600 w/ the cool remote and 16 speeds and now I can tailor the speed where I want it.

I just got done putting the 6600 in above the bed, pretty easy and the wiring was all there, glad they frame the roof for two:

http://kodachromeproject.com/blog/archives/316

Now I am all set for the heat of Summer...

Back
Top Bottom