Ultimate MC hauler

Machinebuilder

There was a thread a couple weeks ago asking about door clearance to a motorcycle carrier.

I decided to get an Ultimate MC ramp hauler, and received it today.

I didn't take pictures during assembly, it took less than an hour, even with my dog "helping"

this is the ready to load position, it's easy to roll the bike on to (but it is a 21" front wheel).

i-q6ddRwq-M.jpg

i-pnQVP7M-M.jpg

with the bike on the ground there is plenty of room to open the door and climb in

i-6Xg4MwL-M.jpg

with it lifted you could squeeze in if you needed to

i-XZHbjz2-M.jpg

i-zxfQwDC-M.jpg

i-Br8ZQcH-M.jpg

With the DR350 my truck only sagged about another 1", it started getting dark and wet so I didn't try my BMW F800GS yet. I think I'll probably do something to make it more stable, it's not bad for something that's only in a 2" receiver (bolted in) with that much leverage. I will probably add some auxiliary lighting to it also.

Now I need to try doing something for a ramp to get my dogs in, the Lab still can't figure out the steps.

For the dog ramp, check out the PetSafe SolVit Telescoping pet ramp. Have been using one for quite a few years to get our Golden Retriever in and out of our Grandby Shell mounted on our F250. Truck sits high off the ground and I've always had concerns about the dog jumping up and down via a step as it would be too easy for them to drop a paw into the gap between the rear bumper and the rear of the truck bed. Saw are male Golden come very close to doing it once on the way out and it would have snapped his leg in an instant if it had dropped into the gap.

I was the person asking about door clearance with a motorcycle on a receiver carrier, thank you for posting pictures!

I also have an Ultimate MX Hauler, but mine is the square kind. I like yours better.
I think yours 'hauler' would be easier to load.
I also can get in/out of my camper with it on. Thanks for posting!

Rv5VSFvCp-0xJ5zx5UYsPHHHApTUoY1WT15jQoydwdEFsBmyL11GIa8hvPmSdgVuKZxx431qIrCtOgTSzTC53DrTvOBdm5cXC7uLS0afsWsQx4MXG8LNGkjqxTIfihufLRlG5scUsmbbEHe0jrjM5WLZl2JfR6BwJNlCe3VigCXwZOIIsDMRmdrk_MBAeGZeuKlwoxdJquEaYCniWDBV4SwDEWNuKl-AR4t_ZokUq9E9v1DqHy9WZnsPqTy6gA4aUpJC5UK925-8BDdu2EPSpYl2AbYL8kwVBcsOCDmw7C74SFWDCCSCksTS_iHrRq51L3l4Go3hc066OG4D1hpJq-iboXBxM4IKkqwjqa8rSfpBQL6fyaB3slp8rWWJ1_FdNw0PiZMfWVL_k1dmxwn4606xEMjllNIMF_mn3qnBl6cTcqa5ICPgVUW_o5_Kn3xB8r9AfGM21I4MwRr6H_XGG4B2BPmdbj7prdjJvY4Wbjxb5935mZu-au3wHpp95IjxTjd52GTm6zDbsZpJS7blPlGfHH1tIpCFsEdYzDaV7z_7P1CwSfXCXan7ApWj6dreE2t6ApaLEqS2yIESHE-JU_KcRpKO4KT5NaeuIFWR=w878-h1552-no

I can't tell what year and model your truck is...

But if a F-150 you have a 500# Max Tongue Load for the Class III receiver. Might be a F-250 but it still has the Class III receiver and max tongue weight is dependent upon if gas or diesel engine.

I seriously doubt you can safely load your BMW F800GS (421# dry) and the moto carrier on the Class III receiver. No doubt there is a lawyer factor in the 500# spec. But drive along on a wash board road or a section of Interstate with degraded expansion joints and the up/down moto movement on the long moment arm of the carrier will likely far exceed max tongue weight and any lawyer factor.

The Ford spec of 500# is a static, vertical weight that does not consider any dynamic loading, especially an unsupported load on a long moment arm like a moto/carrier. I'm not so good at Trig any more (and no longer perform public math), but, the static weight of such a set up on a moment arm is going to be a lot more then the actual weight of the moto and carrier as applied to the receiver.

I only carried my KTM 350 on my custom made Joe Hauler Class III moto carrier on my now sold F-250. The carrier was on an even longer moment arm from the receiver due to my Aluminess bumper. I never had any issue. But Joe uses a cam lock device to remove all unwanted play between the carrier and the receiver. The play with the weight of the moto on the moment arm is what will lead to structural failure, even if within the weight spec. You really need to eliminate or greatly reduce play between the carrier and the receiver if you are approaching or exceeding the receiver's tongue weight.

I now have a F-350 6.7L and have a 850# tongue weight with a Class V receiver. I wouldn't have a second thought toting a F800GS in this receiver. In addition to my KTM 350, I have a BMW R1200GS setup for Baja and SW USA but ride/camp off the bike. If taking the truck/FWC Hawk, I pull my bikes in a Wells Cargo trailer across the US to our moto jumping off point.

How would a manufacturer or industry specify and measure anything other than a static tongue load on the receiver hitch?

Some assumptions are being made about dynamic load in order to have a way for an end user to get a trailer load balanced correctly for trailer weight.

Carrying a cantilevered load on an extended hitch is not likely the general use case planned for a trailer hitch. Dropping over a rock or even a curb with a max tongue load may be hazardous to your rig or parts thereof.

eTrailer indicates their 8 inch extender derates the tongue load by 50%. So, 500 lbs tongue load becomes 250 lbs. Seem like good justification for a small trailer if you need a bike?

Paul

Advmoto18 said:
I can't tell what year and model your truck is...

But if a F-150 you have a 500# Max Tongue Load for the Class III receiver. Might be a F-250 but it still has the Class III receiver and max tongue weight is dependent upon if gas or diesel engine.

I seriously doubt you can safely load your BMW F800GS (421# dry) and the moto carrier on the Class III receiver. No doubt there is a lawyer factor in the 500# spec. But drive along on a wash board road or a section of Interstate with degraded expansion joints and the up/down moto movement on the long moment arm of the carrier will likely far exceed max tongue weight and any lawyer factor.

The Ford spec of 500# is a static, vertical weight that does not consider any dynamic loading, especially an unsupported load on a long moment arm like a moto/carrier. I'm not so good at Trig any more (and no longer perform public math), but, the static weight of such a set up on a moment arm is going to be a lot more then the actual weight of the moto and carrier as applied to the receiver.

I only carried my KTM 350 on my custom made Joe Hauler Class III moto carrier on my now sold F-250. The carrier was on an even longer moment arm from the receiver due to my Aluminess bumper. I never had any issue. But Joe uses a cam lock device to remove all unwanted play between the carrier and the receiver. The play with the weight of the moto on the moment arm is what will lead to structural failure, even if within the weight spec. You really need to eliminate or greatly reduce play between the carrier and the receiver if you are approaching or exceeding the receiver's tongue weight.

I now have a F-350 6.7L and have a 850# tongue weight with a Class V receiver. I wouldn't have a second thought toting a F800GS in this receiver. In addition to my KTM 350, I have a BMW R1200GS setup for Baja and SW USA but ride/camp off the bike. If taking the truck/FWC Hawk, I pull my bikes in a Wells Cargo trailer across the US to our moto jumping off point.

you make a very good point, I will have to check on what class hitch I have. the truck is a 2011 F150 with the heavy payload/heavy towing package.

There is very little play between the receiver and the carrier, ti came with a spring loaded nut and a screw in pin that clamps the tube to the receiver. the play I see is in the lift arms of the carrier.

When I use it I will probably add 2 straps from the carrier to the truck for additional support (I haven't completely thought this out yet)

I have been using a 6x12 Cargomate trailer for my longer trips but I am over pulling a parachute for long distance, I might get a small open trailer for the bikes.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
For the fur babies, we use a Gen 7 folding ramp. Saves the dogs joints and my back. About $75 at Camping World.
I ordered a Petsafe XL telescoping ramp this week, it was a bit more money but gets good reviews and I like supporting a good local company, Petsafe has been involved with opening quite a few pet parks in the area and support most of the local sheltors

Ok now I’m really confused. I found a 2011 trailer towing guide that gives a 500lb tongue weight and 5000lb max trailer weight, but 1130lb tongue weight and 11300lb max trailer weight with a weight distributing hitch.

I really wasn’t planning on bringing the BMW on the hauler but it would have been nice to have the option.

You are most concerned with the tongue weight for your moto carrier. The Ford spec.

Weight distributing ball mount specs doesn't help you when talking about the receiver specs from Ford and a moto carrier. You're pretty much stuck with what Ford publishes minus a percentage when taking into account the moto carrier. And just be aware that the max weight you can carry without breaking something on your truck is going to be much less then the Ford spec.

In-so-far as weight distributing ball mounts, these are most commonly used by folks pulling Airstreams or very big boat/trailer.

On a side note, most states require trailer brakes when the max GW for the trailer is equal to or greater than 3000#. Not a big deal if your truck has the 7 pin wiring and trailer brake controller already installed. I think all F-250/350s now come standard with the 7 pin harness and controller on XLT, Lariat and King Ranch packages (and have for a while). Not sure about F-150s.

I have brakes on both my Wells Cargo trailer and boat trailer. And my boat is a little 16' technical skiff with a Yamaha F60. I just like having brakes on a trailer for better control in mountainous terrain.

Personally, I think you're fine toting the little scoot in the carrier. However, you really have to go slow and take it easy on washboard. It will not take a lot of momentum to break something on the truck or the carrier.

Advmoto18 said:
You are most concerned with the tongue weight for your moto carrier. The Ford spec.

Weight distributing ball mount specs doesn't help you when talking about the receiver specs from Ford and a moto carrier. You're pretty much stuck with what Ford publishes minus a percentage when taking into account the moto carrier. And just be aware that the max weight you can carry without breaking something on your truck is going to be much less then the Ford spec.

In-so-far as weight distributing ball mounts, these are most commonly used by folks pulling Airstreams or very big boat/trailer.

On a side note, most states require trailer brakes when the max GW for the trailer is equal to or greater than 3000#. Not a big deal if your truck has the 7 pin wiring and trailer brake controller already installed. I think all F-250/350s now come standard with the 7 pin harness and controller on XLT, Lariat and King Ranch packages (and have for a while). Not sure about F-150s.

I have brakes on both my Wells Cargo trailer and boat trailer. And my boat is a little 16' technical skiff with a Yamaha F60. I just like having brakes on a trailer for better control in mountainous terrain.

Personally, I think you're fine toting the little scoot in the carrier. However, you really have to go slow and take it easy on washboard. It will not take a lot of momentum to break something on the truck or the carrier.
Thanks

It does appear that the class 4 hitch that comes with the heavy payload package is only rated for 500lbs dead weight, so I’m ok with the dr350 (286lbs wet).

I do have the factory trailer brake controller and it works great with my cargo mate. It really does make a big difference towing in the mountains, or that oh crap moment in heavy traffic.

Back
Top Bottom