ultralight canoe

If’n you ever get to the Ads... go to Blue Mountain Lake to the Adirondack museum ....see his boat and a whole lot more... one of my favorite places.

I feel the same way. There are some nice places in Upstate. But I have no desire to ever go back through NYC. I tend to pass through the state as far west as I can and quickly. I'd rather be lost in the woods than found in a city!

I’d like to, my mother’s family is from upstate, but that’s too close to NYC.

I will probably stop by Hornbeck this spring on my way to VT.

I'd love a lightweight tandem. But for me once you get into tandems the pack canoe concept gets lost. No need for sitting in the floor of a tandem. I want a seat I can sit on or kneel against. Preferably with a backrest.

I used to have a sit in kayak. Nothing special just a little light plastic bathtub I could fish from. I loved it. But as I got older I sold it and went back to a solo canoe with a seat off the floor. Knees and hips are shot. One of my last trips in the yak I was out all day with a friend. When I got back to shore he had to help me out of the boat. Too long sitting down low. I couldn't get my feet under me and stand. Sold it not long afterwards.

As much as I would like a pack canoe I suspect it would be similar. Like was stated earlier in the thread it would just be a light puddle jumper I could put on top the camper and still raise the roof. I would need to be conscious of time in the boat and not over do it.

Otherwise I'll just stick with what I have. My current solo is not real heavy. But these days I prefer to not lift it overhead to load it. I set up an old jetski trailer a while back to carry my boats. This spring I redid it again to carry the solo and a couple of bikes. But there are trips i'd like to have the boat and not the trailer. That's why I'm thinking super light pack boat. Weight is a bigger factor for this than performance.
001 (Small).JPG

I have two Lincoln canoes the 18’ is glass and is around 80#. The 17’5” is S glass and around 65#. The 18 is far heavier than I want to mess with, and the 17 is starting to get there. I’d really like a 17-18 tandem in the 40-45# range, but I don’t use them enough to justify that. Maybe a trailer for the 17-5 downeast boat would be the best solution.

I too, though only 3 hour drive have been to NYC 3 times in 30 years. I am a hill towner... Berkshires, Green mts VT and the North Maine woods my spots. I just get all riled up in town. Better in the woods
Western Mass is more like Vermont then the rest. Dirt roads no stop signs. I too like a boat that can have a backrest. My whitewater days are mostly past. There is nothing like pushing off at 4:30 AM onto a lake still as a glass of water with fog rising all by yourself knowing the rise will happen soon ... waiting... adrift is some of the best time I have ever felt. Just absorbing with all The senses.

I sold my Old Town Discovery 174 about a year and a 1/2 ago. With my son grown and a outboard jet bassboat to fish from I just wasn't using it much anymore. It was also about 80+ lbs and a beast to deal with. That was my 2nd one. I've had one for over 30 years but not using it the way we once did.

Ya I had a Discovery 164 and it weighed in at 84 lbs. I really can’t believe I used to portage that beast.

Squatch said:
A canoe with a backrest, an umbrella, and a rod in hand is what life's all about!
That is the life!

So now I've got museums to see on both sides of the country- some road trips are going to have to be made. :)

Here is a removable and tipping backrest on the double blade canoe. The cedar is sandwiched between layers of fiberglass and is remarkably strong. At the end off the season I lightly sand and put a very thin layer of marine varnish. But it is just as easy to pop a hole in one as a kevlar.

Attachments

• IMG_3160.jpg
    IMG_3160.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 117
The boat is called a wee lassie II (with a 1" raised gunwale) modified.... a friend of mine's tweak.

Attachments

• IMG_3156.jpg
    IMG_3156.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 126
I think Mac McCarthy designed that boat, it’s a sweet canoe. One of my friends is finishing one now. It would make a nice lapstrake boat as well.

Back
Top Bottom