Unfillable New Propane Tank....

tksurf

I have an All Terrain Bobcat on my 2000 Tacoma which goes to Baja frequently. I love it and the guys at All Terrain were great. I have a problem, however, and no one seems to have heard of it or can solve it.

My new propane tank is working great and keeps my dometic perfectly cold. However, I can't fill it. I took the Bobcat on a two day check out at our local camp site here in Encinitas and then when I got ready for a trip to the East Cape, I tried to fill the tank at our local gas stations but no one could get any propane into it.

The consensus was that it was basically full. So I said Okay and headed south. Everything worked great and I'm now ready to leave for Scorpion Bay, the tank reads half full, feels half full, but again...no one can get any propane into it. All Terrain says they will replace it, and I believe I'll be fine for this ten day trip, but has anyone had this problem or heard of it? And, if so, how can it be fixed other than replacing the tank. (Yes, I did have it purged before the first use.)

Thanks,

TK surf at tksurf@cox.net

I've had this happen on a tank in my BBQ. Something in the Johnson Valve* got stuck and it wouldn't fill. I put it in my garage and tried it again a year later and it was good again. I think there's something in there that can get stuck. You should try taking it to an actual propane dealer rather than a gas station - they may be able to fix it.

*a johnson valve is a made up device that I know nothing about, but I have a hunch about some unseen mechanical thingy so I just call it Johnson for reference

*a johnson valve is a made up device that I know nothing about, but I have a hunch about some unseen mechanical thingy so I just call it Johnson for reference

:LOL:

More common than you think.....

The valve-float gets stuck inside. You need the have the filler person bang the tank down on the ground a couple of times to jar it loose, then it should take a filling. Don't be easy on it.

I would perfer on wood but the bottom of the tank can take it on asphalt or concrete.

Valve float, aka Johnson valve.
cool.gif

Thanks for the name
smile.gif
Had a guy filling one of my tanks start to fill and diconnect the hose, then lift and smack it on the ground a couple of times and hooked the hose back up and filled the tank without batting a eye.

Asked him what happened? Happens all the time the valve gets stuck and won't let gas go in. Your good to go and if it happens again just beat it on the ground. If that don't work that then purge the tank and have it repaired.

It happened to me when it was over 100 degrees out and nothing would unstick that sucker. Later when i tried it it worked fine. So I'm guessing there can be some environmental factors.

It happened to me when it was over 100 degrees out and nothing would unstick that sucker. Later when i tried it it worked fine. So I'm guessing there can be some environmental factors.

Sounds about right....older I get I feel those factors too!
blink.gif

Back
Top Bottom