Universal solar connector for roof-mounted panel?

Dipodomys

Advanced Member
I'm about to upgrade the old Zamp panel on the roof of my camper to something bigger. The Zamp panel connects to the camper with this plug:

camper-plug.jpeg

Here's the plug on the wire coming from the old panel, which is probably irrelevant now.

zam-panel-plug.jpeg

The new 300W panel appears to have something called a universal solar connector. Here's a photo of the wires from the panel (coming from bottom with red stripe), connecting to some sort of adapter that I probably don't need to keep. I think the connection on the new panel is called a universal solar connector.

new-panel-plug.jpeg

My question is, can I get a new plug for the camper to replace the old Zamp plug, one that will work with the universal solar connector on the new panel? Or should I just replace the plug coming from the new panel? This probably is relevant: the old panel is 165W, the new one is 300W and I'm thinking that may be more than the Zamp connector is meant to handle.

I think the most efficient solution is to use factory made patch cords like the one I linked. There are ones with right angle sae connectors as well if you have limited clearance under panels. This will be a lot easier and lower risk than changing the FWC connector in the roof. There are also wye cables if you have two parallel panels. Poke around on Amazon to find what you need. Just make sure to get ones that are 10 awg.

The universal solar connectors you have are almost certainly MC4 connectors, if you haven’t already identified them.

https://www.amazon.com/CERRXIAN-10AWG-Female-Adapter-Conector/dp/B07T5Y2HQZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=mc4+to+sae+adapter&qid=1698023985&sr=8-3

I switched the SAE roof connector to a MC4 connector. the connection is much more secure.

No I don't have a link, As I recall I got it off Amazon.

Make sure when replacing panels and cables you get the wire polarity correct for positive and negative wires to the controller.

+1 on the polarity. Also look into the right angle type of connectors. They allow you to mount the panel above the port for a lower profile. Also protects the plug a bit. I cut off the ends on mine and spliced directly to a splitter for a second panel.

Machinebuilder said:
I switched the SAE roof connector to a MC4 connector. the connection is much more secure.

No I don't have a link, As I recall I got it off Amazon.
I did the same.

I used one of there. I liked that it had pigtails with MC4 connectors and built in straIn relief for the cables. I think I bought mine from Amazon or Etrailer back in 2018 but I didn't find this exact model that inluded the two pigtail cables on either of those sites.

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/go-power-gp-cep-7-cable-entry-plate-with-7-mc4-cables

I installed a rubber grommet in the hole in the Aluminum roof to cover the sharp edges so they could not cut through the cables from the vehicle vibrating.

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/image/18604-go-power-solar-cable-entry-plate/

Back
Top Bottom