Unmounting a Hawk sloping driveway

photohc

Haven't ordered my FWC yet and just trying to get all my concerns answered before I do. My plan is to dismount the camper (Hawk) on to a carrier after use and store in the garage. However, the driveway has a 3.5 deg slope to it. With all the experience here, I'm hoping someone has the same situation and would like to know how difficult or easy it will be to move it onto the flat garage area?
My plan is to build a platform of 2x6, and 2x4 with 4x4 at each corner. the wheels will be 5" or 6" pneumatic tires, 2 fixed and 2 swivel. For safety, I will probably chuck the wheels before placing the Hawk on the platform. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

My guess (and I'm often wrong) is that loading and unloading on a slope is not a great idea. I've loaded a lot of campers and even a slight slope is very uncomfortable. I think the reason you haven't received any answers up until now is that most here feel the same. 700+ pounds up on "stilts" on a slope? Even if you level every thing out with the jacks I think it's just an accident waiting to happen. Over the years when I look at something I'm about to do and that little voice in my head says "bad plan" it's usually right. Why take the chance?

It might depend on how high you have to lift the camper. I have a 4x4 Ram and I have to lift camper pretty high to get it on the truck. I haven't had to deal with a slope, but it wouldn't take much to make me nervous. Would it help if you extend the jacks on the lower side of the driveway to keep the camper level? I don't have experience with this, but other's might know.

Haven't ordered my FWC yet and just trying to get all my concerns answered before I do. My plan is to dismount the camper (Hawk) on to a carrier after use and store in the garage. However, the driveway has a 3.5 deg slope to it. With all the experience here, I'm hoping someone has the same situation and would like to know how difficult or easy it will be to move it onto the flat garage area?

When I picked up my Eagle from the previous owner it was on about a 25 deg slope. It's much more touchy to mount or unmount the camper on such a slope though we were successful at mounting it and since then I've only taken it off on pretty flat ground. Note my Eagle at that time was a shell, so only a little over 500 lbs.

But then, 3.5 deg is not much of a slope, your biggest problem might be in trying to roll your platform upslope into the garage. At minimum you would want the platform anchored when you place the camper on it. Might want to have something like a boat trailer winch to pull it in with.

Obviously a fully flat area is ideal.

At my old house I unloaded on about the same slope. You do have to raise it a lot to account for the movement of the truck as it drives off the slope. I just lowered mine on the jacks for storage at the old house. I now have a flat area at my new house and have made a dolly to move my camper when off the truck. If that dolly was on the slope you would need a come-a-long or other type of wench to move it up the slope. You would not be able to hold or move the camper on a dolly with out it.

TrailerSolo.jpg

Go to Harbor Freight or CL for a cheap utility trailer. Place camper on trailer in a flat location and back into your garage. Probably would be cheaper than building a contraption and you have a trailer for other projects/uses.

Worked for me.

I have the same problem at my home. I have a small trailer I use to carry my ATV. If I have to remove my HAWK I will put it on the trailer on flat ground then move it where I need to. I got a small trailer for only $350.00. Be safe I will not try to take mine off on a slope. Larry

Thanks guys, this forum is the best! Some great ideas, especially the small trailer option. Just to give you an idea of what the slope looks like, I've added a picture. There's about a 4 in. difference from the jacks in the front to the back based on my computations . No side to side difference. I know it looks like mild but never can be too careful about these things.

IMG_1384.jpg

That is not bad. I would have no problem with that little slope, not at all. Mine is at least that and off camber. Just chock the wheels and it s/b ok. Have some friends over the first time for comfort/help.

You will be OK.

Where you at, maybe some bored members here will jump in...for beer of course.

From the pic it looks safe. Remember to keep the cab/over part of the camper a little higher than the rear, 2-4" idea. As for the dolly wheels, I went with solid 5" wheels/casters. They a rated well over what my camper is. Did not like the idea of having to deal with air problems. However you can get them foam filled.

I have a similar situation with the added complexity of a curving driveway. I manage ok. Chocking the platform wheels is important and having help to push the camper is good. One suggestion if you build a platform dolly (I did). I first used cheap pneumatic wheels from Northern Tool but they could not handle the weight and started to collapse when trying to turn. NT took them back for a refund. I switched to heavy duty 4 inch metal casters which work much better (and cost less). casters

I used swivel casters on all corners which makes it easy to maneuver the camper into a corner in the garage. Another thing to think about when you make the platform is to be sure you have the height to raise the camper roof in the garage for storage (considering the racks and vents). I didn't think about that ahead of time. It works but I have to take a light bulb out of a socket above the camper. :oops:

"It works but I have to take a light bulb out of a socket above the camper. :oops:" How many camper owners does it take to change a light bulb. ha ha
Yup double check your measurement. I have to prop the garage door up with a stick, just 2" to short with out. And never mind with the 2" too short jokes.

Thanks to the group for some excellent feedback. I feel more comfortable to hear from people that have a similar situations. Its a straight shot into the garage and I plan to attach a pulley to a pole set in concrete I have inside the garage. I'll probably get my two boys to help me the first time. Thanks for the feedback on the pneumatic tires. Your right, these tires are not rated as high as steel or hard rubber ones. There is a small lip (1/2")as you enter the garage and I sense that will be difficult to push through without some help which is the reason I was considering the pneumatic tires. I think larger (5") tires will make this easier.

5" casters is what I am using. Have two non swivel at one and two that swivel at the other. I too have the gap and not a problem. Before you rig some pulley system up, give it a try free hand, it rolls very easy.

I think it's totally doable, looks to be about the same slope as my driveway. I have a dolly made up with 2x6's with 5" urethane coated steel wheels. You may need one other person to help you power past the small lip. Also I attached some strapping to one of the 2x6's so someone can pull from one direction and push. Having one set of wheels that swivel helps to steer the camper as well and having locks on the wheels also helps once you get the camper in place.

Thanks guys, this forum is the best! Some great ideas, especially the small trailer option. Just to give you an idea of what the slope looks like, I've added a picture. There's about a 4 in. difference from the jacks in the front to the back based on my computations . No side to side difference. I know it looks like mild but never can be too careful about these things.

View attachment 15885

Back
Top Bottom