Updated Road Conditions In GSENM?

Wallowa

Double Ought
Trying to find a website that gives reasonably up to date road conditions in Escalante Basin area...only "call this number"...anybody with a contact down there?

Or anyone down there now?

Recent triple weather warning from last couple of days of rain...roads washed out, canyon flashflooding and flooding of low lands..snow to 7K

Headed down 10-5...through 10-21

Thanks!

Phil

Cayuse said:

Thanks Bob...dumb question but where did you find this? The web site where this Pdf is found?

"Impassable" is too often the status! Hopefully they will try to grade the roads this late in the year after the rains stop...

Phil

OK...I see the web site...I dismissed it, didn't open since it listed it as "2016-08-24"..

Best guess if they will soon rehab the roads?

I haven't been paying attention to the weather down there yet as my journey is still too far away but the rehab on the roads will be sunshine, wind and time for them to dry out.

Cayuse said:
I haven't been paying attention to the weather down there yet as my journey is still too far away but the rehab on the roads will be sunshine, wind and time for them to dry out.
Yup...previous report of bad conditions at end of August mentioned road graders working on road after rain events...that is what I was hoping for, but this late in the year they may not budget for road repair...

Phil

I have found that the NP's (ALL NP's) idea of "Impassible" and mine frequently differ considerably. I get it, they have to deal with the moron in a GPS equipped Hyundai sedan who will try to go up Lipencott Mine Rd. or god knows where and I don't. I intensely dislike being limited by those who don't know enough to know better and frequently investigate such roads for myself. On foot at times - if necessary.

ntsqd said:
I have found that the NP's (ALL NP's) idea of "Impassible" and mine frequently differ considerably. I get it, they have to deal with the moron in a GPS equipped Hyundai sedan who will try to go up Lipencott Mine Rd. or god knows where and I don't. I intensely dislike being limited by those who don't know enough to know better and frequently investigate such roads for myself. On foot at times - if necessary.

True they [all goberment agencies] play it by the LCD or lower....like so many their axiom is "better safe than sorry" or what is easiest....we have never been in slickrock country so will learn by baby steps...I grew up in Nevada sagebrush but exploring in the Escalante will require new insights and evaluative skills.

Phil

Having been an NPS volunteer and having dealt with enough stuck knuckleheads I can understand their overly cautious approach. Also, after a rain even if you are able to travel some of the roads in high clearance 4WD vehicles you will often tear up the roads doing so and make it impossible for anyone with a lesser rig to follow. Best bet is to talk to the rangers when you are there who can give you more detailed information on the conditions, they should be able to tell you if your specific rig will be able to handle the roads.

Thanks Bob...does look like it is improving..heavy rain and flashflood warning today...but then getting better..I hope!

Phil

SL...True that about the roads...asking "a ranger" or person answering the phone or behind the info desk can be at best sketchy; not something I would bet on...having dealt with Ca SP personnel for decades on the coast I am less than enamored with them...but again that is Kalifornica...my experience is that whether it is BLM, NP, SP or any public entity the individual makes or breaks the deal....I worked for the state for 35 years and founds some nuggets and some strap hangers...just my experience.

Too true, whether or not my passing will leave ruts in the mud is one of the judgement criteria. Always gripes me to see that someone has driven on muddy trail or road and made it a mess for those who come along later when their tracks are 'frozen' in the once wet now dry dirt.

Local knowledge is very valuable if it comes from someone who actually has the knowledge and is worse than useless from someone who only thinks they have the knowledge.

When I ask rangers in person they usually direct me to someone who has actually been to the area in question if they have not. Most times the info I get in person is more detailed than what is posted on the white boards but there's no guarantee for sure.

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom