Upgrading from 3-way fridge..

OK, got the panel, killer one too, 100 watt, 40.8' x 20.7" at just 14.5 pounds!

http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr_1305242891831/page_13/gs100.html

What happens is the same thing that has always happened with my 3-way, you lose some cold air. I need the counter space so the front load system is still the best way for me to go with it at the moment, especially when developing film out in the field.

You could always consider a top loader on pullout slides if it fit somewhere in your cabinet layout.

OK, got the panel, killer one too, 100 watt, 40.8' x 20.7" at just 14.5 pounds!

http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr_1305242891831/page_13/gs100.html

Okay that one is 5.7amps at max, what about the 85W one? (Assuming you're still wondering about using that 10amp controller).

You could always consider a top loader on pullout slides if it fit somewhere in your cabinet layout.

Okay that one is 5.7amps at max, what about the 85W one? (Assuming you're still wondering about using that 10amp controller).

No more than 5 amps, a total of 11 on a blue bird day at 12,000 feet :rolleyes:

One thing I had Marty and Jeff do was build a battery box outside the under couch storage so I could add a second battery if I felt like it. I have to admit, I love the extra storage but right now I am only running a Optima blue top, D34M, not their highest capacity one.

If I add a second battery, what would be the one to get in terms of capacity and how do I wire it in?

Batteries in parallel should be matched, brand, size, and age.

For disimilar batteries you could use a battery selector switch selecting only 1 at a time for load if they are different. The selected one is also the only one that gets charged, so you have to remember to switch batteries periodically, or use a full time connected dual bank charger (or equivalent diode isolated charger with voltage drop compensation built in) to run 2 unmatched batteries. Other schemes around also, but this is a starting point.

Here is a macho looking cooler
I366611SW1-Ti.jpg

For a strong cheap battery combo you can get two 6v at Sam's club for like $170, can't remember the total amps but lots!

Batteries in parallel should be matched, brand, size, and age.

For disimilar batteries you could use a battery selector switch selecting only 1 at a time for load if they are different. The selected one is also the only one that gets charged, so you have to remember to switch batteries periodically, or use a full time connected dual bank charger (or equivalent diode isolated charger with voltage drop compensation built in) to run 2 unmatched batteries. Other schemes around also, but this is a starting point.

I think I am just going to fully go for it and make this rig "Sick-Tastic", so how do I wire in parallel? Just ordered the Morning Star MPPT 15 and RM-1, I'm going to need a windfall after this is done, LOL!

I think I am just going to fully go for it and make this rig "Sick-Tastic", so how do I wire in parallel? Just ordered the Morning Star MPPT 15 and RM-1, I'm going to need a windfall after this is done, LOL!

The power wires going to/from the batteries "Y" to each battery.

You will love that set up. That's exactly what I have in my Hawk.

dual_batteries.JPG

solar7.JPG

You will never think about electricity again. Refrigerator runs all the time, heater runs all night, don't worry about leaving lights on, charge any item and bring any powered toy you want. I even changed my rear exterior light to a motion detector light so it comes on when I walk up to the camper. I know it is alot, you will not regret it. The difference in the refrigerator alone will put a smile on your face.

Jeff

Jeff and Leadsled,

How important is it to have the wires to the ground and 12v coming from different batteries? In the drawing the are coming from opposing batteries but it appears there are coming from just one battery in the photo.

Jay, backscratchers are required for those that don't have wives or whose wives aren't so accommodating. But you could just use a pencil if you are flexible. :D

You guys rock and this thread rocks, my wife and I are SO excited about all these upgrades. I have a buyer for the 3-way, the new fridge is on order, Dometic CR65, 100 watt panel, MPPT controller with remote meter, roof lift thingys, dual batteries, etc. The existing battery box will hold BOTH batteries, stoked about that.

My mother in law sews and she is flying in today to visit for over a week, her first time to Aspen, we are going to make some light duty panels that have mesh to hold kitchen and other small items, they will velcro onto the spaces between the windows even with the Arctic Pak on when popped up. We are also making a pass through for when we are parked so kitty can get to the litter box, enjoy her own space.

So some time next week, the camper is going to come off of the truck for the first time in 20 months, everything will get cleaned real well, maybe re-seal the bottom, really make this thing bomber.

I figure it might take 2-3 full days to get it all done but that is OK, it's off season for me and other than editing, I am off until late June... :D

My mother in law sews and she is flying in today to visit for over a week, her first time to Aspen, we are going to make some light duty panels that have mesh to hold kitchen and other small items, they will velcro onto the spaces between the windows even with the Arctic Pak on when popped up. We are also making a pass through for when we are parked so kitty can get to the litter box, enjoy her own space.

Check out this thread on a nfity kitchen organizer!!!

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4275/

How important is it to have the wires to the ground and 12v coming from different batteries? In the drawing the are coming from opposing batteries but it appears there are coming from just one battery in the photo.

You can use the 12v positive from either positive post....and you can use the 12v negative from either negative post.

Oh, but I forgot to tell you. This wasn't for free. You get to show me around when I come to Colorado.
We need to compare rigs.
Enjoy my friend.
Jeff

You guys rock and this thread rocks, my wife and I are SO excited about all these upgrades. I have a buyer for the 3-way, the new fridge is on order, Dometic CR65, 100 watt panel, MPPT controller with remote meter, roof lift thingys, dual batteries, etc. The existing battery box will hold BOTH batteries, stoked about that.

So some time next week, the camper is going to come off of the truck for the first time in 20 months, everything will get cleaned real well, maybe re-seal the bottom, really make this thing bomber.

I figure it might take 2-3 full days to get it all done but that is OK, it's off season for me and other than editing, I am off until late June... :D

You can use the 12v positive from either positive post....and you can use the 12v negative from either negative post.

His question kicked up a vague memory of mine but I can't find anything to back it up off hand. I though I recalled somewhere doing it like the picture as opposed to both off one battery might have a benefit of ensuring the charge drives through all the cells where as having them both on one could slowly wear out the other battery because the first battery would top off a bit sooner and then increase resistance or something like that. Not sure if I'm recalling that correctly or not??? Probably little risk in a 2 battery setup either way, I think it had more issue in big marine battery banks with many batteries strung together.

His question kicked up a vague memory of mine but I can't find anything to back it up off hand. I though I recalled somewhere doing it like the picture as opposed to both off one battery might have a benefit of ensuring the charge drives through all the cells where as having them both on one could slowly wear out the other battery because the first battery would top off a bit sooner and then increase resistance or something like that. Not sure if I'm recalling that correctly or not??? Probably little risk in a 2 battery setup either way, I think it had more issue in big marine battery banks with many batteries strung together.

I've seen diagrams of both configurations. Maybe I'll pull the negative off the 2nd battery. It couldn't hurt.

12  volt batteries parallel.JPG

Check out this thread on a nfity kitchen organizer!!!

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4275/

Ahh, we have a winner, I like it, thanks!

As for paper towels and such, I have put small D-rings on the ceiling that I secure all kinds of nifty light weight stuff off of including a shower curtain with a basin attached for Winter bathing. I usually put the bungees for the top up there not stretched very much and hang paper towels, dry washcloths and such from them.

Back
Top Bottom