Upgrading truck and keeping FWC camper?

markrrr

Hi there,

I'm considering purchase of a FWC Hawk to fit on my 2002 F-150 SuperCab 4x4. It's an older truck but with good mileage. I was wondering, if I have the camper built out for this truck, and then I upgrade to a newer truck later... for example a 2015 F-150 4x4 with 3.5L Ecoboost... is that possible? I know that there are some differences between truck years in things like box size, depth and cabover height... and that can affect whether the camper will fit.

I really don't think I can afford both the new camper and a new truck at this point. So I'd like to work with the 2002 F-150 and then upgrade to a newer truck when the time is right. The main issues with the older truck is that it's got about 115k miles on it, payload is only 1610 lbs and it has the 4.6L which is pretty sluggish... I can imagine in some years I'll want to replace the truck and probably keep the camper.

Thoughts? Success stories? Horror stories?

Thanks from a n00bie!

Mark

You could always go to the local Ford dealer and take various measurements of the bed (width between wheel wells, length of bed, and side rail height to name a few) and compare them to your rig.

Mark, you can get the measurements for the old and new trucks on line. As smlobx mentioned, the wheel well, cab and side rail dimensions are the critical ones.

Contact Shaw at FWC and check the website to see if your current truck will take a 2015 FWC. Best information from FWC. Good luck. Jd

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

If the new truck has a higher bed rail you can solve that. If the wheel well spacing etc. is too small, you're out of luck.

"Contact Shaw at FWC and check the website to see if your current truck will take a 2015 FWC. Best information from FWC. Good luck. Jd"

+2. In my past experience with Chevy's, the new camper fit the old trucks, but the old camper wouldn't fit the new ones. I had to buy a new camper in 2010 to fit the newer trucks, my 1999 model wouldn't fit. My current truck is a 2015 and the 2010 model fits fine. FWC would have the best info on Fords.

Back
Top Bottom