Usal Beach

K6ON

Old & Soft
Well Friday Morning I packed the FWC and set off toward Usal Beach. It’s about 230 miles from Sacramento and I planned for, and had a nice leisurely drive. As I turned onto Usal road two cars pulled in behind me and followed me into the park. The cars behind me should have been a clue. I arrived at the park about 2:45 and proceeded to drive all through the park looking for a camp site. The camp was almost completely filled, but I did manage to find four empty sites all the way in the back of the park hidden in the Redwoods.
I chose a small site as there was only myself & the dog. By 4:00 the other three were taken and the park was full. So much for the “Lost Coast”.

The weather Friday and Saturday was perfect, shorts and a lightweight sweatshirt were the clothes of the day. The beach turned out to be a 15 minute walk from the campsite and the dog and I made the trip 7-8 times over two days. Both of us need the exercise, so we’re not complaining. It seemed like every flower in the park was in bloom. Every meadow was awash in yellow flowers, California Poppies lined the roads, and the wild berries were blooming and starting to make fruit. I even ran into some small wild orchids in bloom (I think that’s what they were). Saturday we had a small burglar in the form of a Chipmunk making raids on the dry food in the dog dish. He became quite brazen and would sneak food while the dog was snoozing 4 feet away.

The FWC survived the trip in with only a couple mishaps. When we arrived, I opened the door to find the ice box had ripped all four screws out and was half out of the cabinet, the foam insulation the only thing holding it in. Of course the drain hose had come loose so the ice melt was dripping on the floor. I didn’t have any hardware to fix it, so I unloaded all the food and moved it to the beer cooler; the beer and sodas got evicted. I had two ten pound blocks of ice on the ice shelf, and all the food below. I guess 20 lbs of ice plus the food was too much weight for the screws. I can guarantee when I get it remounted twenty pounds plus won’t be too much weight next time. The new inverter and microwave worked great. I guess it will take a couple more trips to get all he kinks worked out as I’d forgotten several items like a can opener and dish soap.

Before I left home, I checked and tightened all the turnbuckles. When I arrived at Usal, they were all loose and one had come completely off. Since this was only my second trip with the FWC I’m wondering Is this normal, should the turnbuckles be safety wired or ??

Woke up Sunday morning to fog and cold so decided to break camp and head home early. The PCH was in fog all the way south to Bodega Bay before the sun finally broke through. All in all a fun shake down trip and learning experience. I'm sure there will be lots more great trips with the FWC.

Attachments

• Usal Road.jpg
    Usal Road.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,124
  • Usal Sign.jpg
    Usal Sign.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,153
  • Camp Site.jpg
    Camp Site.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,160
  • Burglar.jpg
    Burglar.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,139
  • Domino.jpg
    Domino.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,115
Usal Beach Pictures 2

Here's a few more pictures.

Attachments

• Meadow.jpg
    Meadow.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,037
  • flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Stream.jpg
    Stream.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,069
  • Beach.jpg
    Beach.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,084
  • Surf.jpg
    Surf.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,066
Deltarat:

Nice setup....

Do tell me more about your very nice antenna. why did you mount it up front? I have a screwdriver from high sierra, right now it is on the back....want to move it mid camper. I run ic706 from the cab, somtimes an ft817 when i want to run the qrp thing.

Thinking of getting a fiberglass 30 ft pole to run wire antennas.....So nice to have a portable shack.

Dave (N0XLW) in seattle.

As far as the fridge goes Id say thats unusual. I hope it is anyway. Turnbuckles do get loose. There has been discussion on this forum outlining various methods to keep them snug. I'm partial to adding a lock nut to one end and snugging it up. Having said that its better to be safe than OOPS. I usually check mine after a few hours of driving to be sure they're tight.

Nice pix and of course a fine vehicle.

Antenna

Dave:

The antenna is made by Hi-Q Antennas (http://hiqantennas.com). It's their 3-80RT, covers 6 through 80 meters, remotely tuned. I've had it for about 7 years and it's had the heck beat out of it on various 4X4's and still works as new. I looked all over before I bought the Hi-Q, even High Sierras, but the build quality and the higher "Q" sold me on that antenna.

The antenna is usually mounted on the rear, but when I mounted the FWC, it
would hit the camper, so needed to be moved to the front. I welded up a bracket and mounted it to the winch assembly. The truck's a diesel, so no ignition noise with it up front. The antenna is on a push and twist quick disconnect, so when camper is off, it will go back on the rear. Just a simple coax change at the radio and it's done..about 30 seconds.

Attached are a couple pix of rear and front mounts on a very dirty truck..

73 de W6JCW

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 991
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 994
Deltarat.

That is cool. I did not do as much researchas you when I got my high sierra about 8 years ago. I was at a meet and they were there and the deal was good. I have mine currently mounted to one of my camper jacks. I need to get it higher as i can't tune on 20 and I think it is due to the roof and aluminum of the camper. i'd like to get the coil and whip up above the lowered camper. Then, when stopped, I'd like to beable to raise it to match the roof......

Nice setup. Any photos of the inside rigs and gear? I have ripped all mine out as it was getting too cluttered and not working. I am set to put small mounting plate behind the gear shift and mount the heads of the radios there, with the bodies under the back seat. I've a older dodge 4x4 extended cab and just had to get those wires under control!!

Dave

mine too

Nice pics, nice truck too. I never had mine come out, but when I removed the icebox I was alarmed as to how poorly it was attached, I installed a Norcold Fridge and it bolts down in the back so its in there good.

Tim

More Radio Stuff

Tim & chnlisle, thanks for the comments re: the Ice Box..I'll fix it tonight and it won't rip out again. As for the turnbuckles, I'll tighten them one more time then safety wire them and see what happens.

Dave, here's a couple more pics of the installation. One is of the Diamond UHF/VHF antenna, The control head and HF antenna control (the cable in the tray is for my MP-3 player), and the mess under the rear seat. I managed to mount most everything on the hump so the storage areas under the seat were still usable. The large box on the left is the Ameritron 600watt amp and the box to it's right is the FT-857. Misc cables, fuses & breakers can also be seen. Lets take any more ham radio questions to e-mail rather than here and I'll be happy to answer..w6jcw@arrl.net

Attachments

• vhf ant.jpg
    vhf ant.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 966
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 997
  • under seat.jpg
    under seat.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 971
Deltarat:

OK.

sent you a message here in the private message section

thanks

73 de n0xlw

Delta Rat,
Sounds like you had a good "break" in trip with the camper. I bet the ice box never falls out again..

Bummer it was so crowded.What kind of crowd was out there??like what type of vehicles??

When we were there in early April they were just getting a crew in to weed whack the area where you camped..Must be great there when the berries are ripe..I thought maybe there was a short cut trail to the beach somewhere in there, i guess not..Thanks for the report and pics!

TT

When I was there there were only a couple campers. The turnbuckles seem to need a little break in. After the first couple times tightening mine they stopped coming loose.

Back
Top Bottom